Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Oregon Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum190/)
-   -   Hello Oregon (ORE-A-GUN) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/783198-hello-oregon-ore-a-gun.html)

Greywolf 10-12-2008 06:27 PM

Hello Oregon (ORE-A-GUN)

I post this cautiously, after what has gone before...

The gods frown on welcome wagons, or so it seems.8D

I don't know much about your area, except that you have wierd rules on filling gas tanks. I went through Oregon on my way to Washington state several years ago, and they wouldn't let me pump my own gas...

Like a trained individual was required to pump fuel into an obvious receptacle!

Welcome to the wide world of FTE chapters - and I hope you have a lot of gatherings together. I've met quite a few FTE people over time, and not regretted any of those meetings.

Some of them are no longer here, and some so far away I doubt I'll see them again any time soon.

All of it was worth it.

Q: FABMAN - how can an electolytic means be used to seperate glycerin? Are you using bubble formation to float it off?

~Wolfuss Devious
(With regrets over the conversation being cut short)

fabmandelux 10-12-2008 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Greywolf (Post 6641576)
I post this cautiously, after what has gone before...

The gods frown on welcome wagons, or so it seems.8D

I don't know much about your area, except that you have wierd rules on filling gas tanks. I went through Oregon on my way to Washington state several years ago, and they wouldn't let me pump my own gas...

Like a trained individual was required to pump fuel into an obvious receptacle!

Welcome to the wide world of FTE chapters - and I hope you have a lot of gatherings together. I've met quite a few FTE people over time, and not regretted any of those meetings.

Some of them are no longer here, and some so far away I doubt I'll see them again any time soon.

All of it was worth it.

Q: FABMAN - how can an electolytic means be used to seperate glycerin? Are you using bubble formation to float it off?

~Wolfuss Devious
(With regrets over the conversation being cut short)

Welcome Dutch! I still haven't figured out why the "gods" shut down that thread, so I started a BS thread today............Feel free to post in the Oregon Chapter anytime. Glycerol takes time to settle by gravity. I've been working on a high voltage separation system in my lab. I think I've found a way to do it on a continuous basis. I got the idea from a friend on another forum. He tried it in the lab with 2 glass columns, one with just gravity, and one with high voltage. The results were startling! He didn't go any further with it, but I've been working with it for a couple of months now. I can now do it on a continuous basis, and will soon incorporate it in the micro plants I design. Here is a link to a YouTube video that shows how it works in the lab. The glass column on the left is with electrostatic separation, and the column on the right is a control using only gravity. YouTube - High Speed, Glycerol Separation using High Voltage And about our not pumping our own fuel.......Sure is great to not have to get out in bad weather and pump your own fuel........

dchamberlain 10-13-2008 12:00 PM

It's ORYGUN. Just so you know.

We aren't allowed to pump our own gas. Or we don't have to pump our own gas, depends on your perspective.

We don't have a sales tax either.

I'd like to do a get together, I think. OK, I know I'd like to, but I'm sorta not a people person (mild agoraphobia). Maybe next summer.

The other misconception about Oregon is that it's all green and forested. Most people don't realize that 2/3's of the state is desert or near desert.

bertha66 10-13-2008 12:07 PM

How, I was gone for the weekend and missed the whole invasion. If they head on down here to take over, maybe they will take over my shop, and finish some of these cars and trucks for me. We had snow on friday, about 1 1/2" and then it droped down to 18 degress on saturday morning. That's when I remembered that there was not antifreeze in the Bronco and it was sitting outside. It turned out ok. Good luck on the invasion.

fabmandelux 10-13-2008 02:50 PM

I wish they would invade me also! I have more projects than I can finish in my lifetime!:confused:

bertha66 10-13-2008 04:58 PM

Ya, if they invade, they could drag me away from all this work. But while they are here, we could counter attack.

SteveBricks 10-13-2008 07:46 PM

Hey Don - projects are a good thing! They keep you out of trouble!

fabmandelux 10-13-2008 09:01 PM

Not if you ask my wife!:eek:

Greywolf 10-14-2008 12:11 PM

Funny, I would not have thought it would take a lot of voltage. A small direct current maybe with a positive plate at the bottom of the tank and a negative cathode of some kind seems like it would work.

There's a mechanical means - I noticed on a case cleaner at the transmission place I was at that there was a metal disc that rotated through the sump of the machine, with a squeegee blade that skimmed off the oil and grease floating on top into a seperate sump. That might not work with bio though.

Far as projects out my way we got just enough rain to make it easy to transplant some cypress trees I needed to move. I have a two year old one that's shot up from eight inches to nearly eight feet! But that wasn't one of the transplantee's, it's in its permanent spot.

I also chopped a twelve foot high hedgerow down that was getting a little too native to be manageable. A machette is a beautiful thing!

bertha66 10-15-2008 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Greywolf (Post 6647502)

A machette is a beautiful thing!

Was that a quote from a long time killer? Maybe like Jason?}>

Greywolf 10-16-2008 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by bertha66 (Post 6651639)
Was that a quote from a long time killer? Maybe like Jason?}>

Nope, that's the voice of experience right there...

I found out with a good machette I can knock out shrubs and small trees faster than using a saw or anything else. It's also a lot less work, believe it or not. They're lighter than a hatchet, have a keener edge, and the long blade is good for clearing bunches of thin stuff out of the way.

At the same time - I can chop through a sapling as quick or faster than with an axe.