Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   Another new article on the 6.7L... With a sneak peak under the hood... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/782307-another-new-article-on-the-6-7l-with-a-sneak-peak-under-the-hood.html)

PowerStrokeHD 10-09-2008 08:21 AM

Another new article on the 6.7L... With a sneak peak under the hood...

The picture does not show much, but does answer the question of the taller hood...

PickupTrucks.com: Caught! Underhood Pic of Ford's 6.7-liter Scorpion Diesel V-8

6LPSD 10-09-2008 03:23 PM

it probably has the bigger radiator to compensate for the larger engine, higher engine op temps and more aggressive egr usage in the engine. wonder how many egrs it will have 3,4,5 anyone's guess now along with dpf,diesel oxidation unit, horse pi** injection (or should i say urea injection??) the epa is putting a strangle hold on these things, the engines price will probably be another 2-4 grand on top of the 6.4 price now.

PowerStrokeHD 10-09-2008 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by 6LPSD (Post 6631882)
it probably has the bigger radiator to compensate for the larger engine, higher engine op temps and more aggressive egr usage in the engine. wonder how many egrs it will have 3,4,5 anyone's guess now along with dpf,diesel oxidation unit, horse pi** injection (or should i say urea injection??) the epa is putting a strangle hold on these things, the engines price will probably be another 2-4 grand on top of the 6.4 price now.

Due to the addition of SCR (horse pi** injection as you call it), it is expected significantly to reduce the amount of exhaust gases that are recirculated back into the system...

rob_nc 10-09-2008 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by PowerStrokeHD (Post 6631930)
Due to the addition of SCR (horse pi** injection as you call it), it is expected significantly to reduce the amount of exhaust gases that are recirculated back into the system...

Exactly!!!

2003 6.0 10-09-2008 11:39 PM

I wish I had a six speed transmission.:-tap

Carl Lassiter 10-10-2008 07:53 PM

Nice find. A radiator that is 50% bigger than the 6.0s is huge and looking at the 6.4s radiators it's clear that raising the hood was the only way to squeeze in more.

The 6-speed will really help and will the main thing behind the claimed 3mpg improvement, though they didn't mention that that would be highway.

However, none of this is enough to make me wait as the 6.4L and 5-speed Torqshift have proven to be rugged. First year for the Scorpion is for the brave, but maybe it'll go smoothly.

Finally, seems like Ford are deep into the power battle. In which case, expect the finished product to produce 10bhp more than the 390bhp quoted in the article ;)

c00nhunterjoe 10-10-2008 09:24 PM

they are testing at much higher levels then that........... those numbers are what they will de-tune it to for emmisions and reliability

97squarebody 10-16-2008 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by 2003 6.0 (Post 6633539)
I wish I had a six speed transmission.:-tap

People are forgetting that you can get both a six speed and the fuel mileage increase right now.

Get the stick shift.....

farmerrig 10-16-2008 04:13 PM

it looks like it's tilted backwards..... were did they get the room for that?

PHXDiesel 10-17-2008 09:48 PM

Something is fishy about that picture. The radiator is at an angle that doesn't look like it would allow for much else. If you look at the many radiators crammed in the 6.4's, there would be no room for those in the nose of this truck. Not to mention the lack of space for the engine. Something just isn't right here.

MT765 10-19-2008 02:48 PM

This is my first post here, I'm coming over from The Diesel Stop. The more I looked at this picture, I noticed it looks a lot like the V10. The airbox looks the same, and the radiator looks almost identical. Look at a picture of a 2008 V10, then look at the spy photo, they look pretty close to me.

farmb0y 11-16-2008 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by PowerStrokeHD (Post 6631930)

Something doesn't seem right to me. The "effort" to reduce exhaust emissions is resulting in the engines getting worse fuel mileage and now having to add fertilizer, which costs money to produce as well put in your truck, to keep it all clean.
I wonder if anyone has ever heard about diminishing returns. Yea, we are getting cleaner exhaust, but how much more is being produced since we have to put more fuel in the trucks and to produce and transort urea that will now have to be added?? Can someone explain it, because it's not making any sense to me.

herman391 11-18-2008 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by farmerrig (Post 6655221)
it looks like it's tilted backwards..... were did they get the room for that?

I was thinking the same thing, unless they made the engine compartment longer? Which I doubt. Or maybe they are using some sort of funky radiator thats angled? (Is that even possible:-huh)

rollerstud98 11-18-2008 08:39 PM

the current rads are tilted back as well, looks to me to be on the same angle even but that one is just longer

mnmwhit 11-26-2008 11:08 PM

that would be kewl in an Exedition.....I was hoping for the 4.4 to come out and go in an Expy but this engine would be a real hero