Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Flathead V8 & Flathead 6 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum57/)
-   -   Cooked my goose, I mean my coil. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/781267-cooked-my-goose-i-mean-my-coil.html)

Ego Flat 48 10-05-2008 05:56 PM

Cooked my goose, I mean my coil.

OK guys are you ready for some humor? I have a flathead 239 on a stand with a radiator hooked up to it. I am trying to get it running but it will only run when I squirt gasoline into the carb. My fuel pump is not pumping to the carb. Can someone please tell me why. I bought a new fuel pump and changed the guts and put into my original one. You know, old, original serial #s, etc.
Problem number two:
I was told that I could run a wire from the battery side of the coil to the positive side of the battery to try to start it. Well. I did that. And after a few minutes I cooked my coil. They do not smell good when fried. Hee Hee. Anyway did I leave this wire on too long? Please advise. I'm just glad it wasn't my new MSB 8200 coil. Thanks in advance. Ralph:-hair

4x4lugnut 10-05-2008 06:33 PM

You said it would run when you squirted gas into the carb, right? You also said that you put the guts from a new fuel pump into the original, did you try the pump by hand to make sure it worked correctly before you installed it on the engine. If it did the problem is a worn fuel pump rod, they wear and will not push the fuel pump arm far enough to make it pump. An old timers trick back in the day was to cut a piece of leather from the tongue of a shoe and put a small piece of it on top of the rod to help take up the slack. If you fix your electrical problems and you are sure your pump is good, a new rod will probably get you running!

4x4lugnut 10-05-2008 07:07 PM

Have been thinking about your wiring issue. If I recall I ran a 32 ford with a 37 engine for years without a switch. I would hook a wire directly to the battery but before it went straight to the coil, it had to go through a resistor on the firewall. Might save another coil!!!!

Ego Flat 48 10-06-2008 09:27 AM

Cooked coil

4x4:
Yes, it will run only when I squirt gas into the carb. So gas is not going to carb from fuel pump. As far as checking the fuel pump for working condition prior installation, I moved the pump arm up and down and with my limited knowledge, it seemed to work. Please inlighten me if I should have done something else.
As far as the pump rod being long enough: I measured it to be 1/16th of an inch shorter than a new one. Would 1/16th make a difference. Sounds like it would as thats about the thickness of a shoe tongue.
The wiring issue:
Should I have removed the wire from the coil to the positive side of the battery as soon as if starts? Or is it even needed? Copy that on the resister.
4x4; I really appreciate your time in helping me with this.I wish I had learned more from my Dad. I miss him. RalphOo.

Ego Flat 48 10-06-2008 07:10 PM

Cooked coil

4x4 lugnut;
Guess what I found out? The original coil on the v8 was a 6 volt. I hooked to a 12 volt battery...I did not have a clue it was 6 volt. Learn something everyday. Bought a new coil and resister today and will try again. Will let you know what happens. Also, I took the fuel pump and discovered:confused: the round hole in the arm was oblong unlike the original. So I put the old one back in. We'll see what happens. Ralph:-headbang

4x4lugnut 10-08-2008 10:40 AM

Sounds like you might be able to hear the old flathead running again soon. Good luck. By the way, I still have the ol 32, need to get it out and see if I can get it fired up. Nothing like the sound of a good ol ford flathead!

Ego Flat 48 10-08-2008 03:33 PM

Cooked coil

4x4lugnut and j;

Guess what I learned? I'm so excited to share this......It's new to me but I never claimed to be a mechanic. I found out why my fuel pump wasn't pumping. On the top inside of the pump are two dime sized diaphragms. They were both in wrong. One has to be facing in and the other facing out.The one on the right faces in and the one on the left faces out. I'm not sure if it matters which way it goes, but thats how I did it. Anyway, I put it back together and it pumps good, and engine sounds like a sherman tank with no mufflers. I learned this by reading a 2005 thread on the Forum. Thanks for all the help....Ralph.Oo.

Hades212 10-12-2008 01:19 AM

:-hijackedWhat are you gonna put that flattie in Ralph?

Ego Flat 48 10-12-2008 05:24 PM

Next up

Hades212:
The flathead is going into 'a 48 Ford F1. First, I have to pull out a beautiful running 226 that I just had completely rebuilt. It runs like a sewing machine. I just want a flathead. You know its an old time thing. I want to hook it to a c4 tranny, chevy s10, 5 spd, but also considering using my old 4 speed tranny. But, I want to be able to stomp on it and drive on the freeway @ 60mph. Got lots to learn. The flathead had been setting for 42 yrs. and it started right up with just a few minor adjustments. And of course, listening to old country music. Thanks for asking. Ralph. Oo.

Oakroadjoe 10-12-2008 07:17 PM

What are your plans for the 226? Might be interested.Need a reason to visit mo. val.

Hades212 10-12-2008 10:54 PM

What adapter plate are you gonna use to hook up that flattie to the s10 tranny.

Ego Flat 48 10-13-2008 04:25 AM

Cooked coil

Oakridgejoe:
I plan on selling the 226. If you are interested perhaps we can work something out. I also have a rebuilt radiator and an original 4 spd tranny. Plus extras.
Hades212. Not sure what adapter I will be using. I haven't finished researching it yet. Would like to use the original bell housing:-drink if possible.But I don't know if it's even possible. Any suggestions?

Oakroadjoe 10-13-2008 05:23 PM

If you can p m me we can talk about your stuff.

Oakroadjoe 10-14-2008 06:25 PM

If you get someone who wants the engine,do it. If i ever get mine running i would not need yours. If i have problems yours would be the answer. I am meeting someone this weekend at the turlock auto swap with a radiator(???) if it is good i would not need yours .Again if you get buyers,SELL .We go thru Redlands going to Moreno Valley(daughter lives there) so it would be a simple pickup.Thanks Joe

effie_man 10-14-2008 06:41 PM

congrats on getting your flattying firing again. let us know about your research into the s10 and the c4 tranny conversions, some people would be interested in hearing it (me!!!) lol