Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Exhaust Manifold Gaskts (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/781073-exhaust-manifold-gaskts.html)

Bernief 10-04-2008 10:08 PM

Exhaust Manifold Gaskts

Hi, I have a problem with an 87 460 motor that has the A.I.R. Exhaust manifolds on it. I can not find any gaskets for it. They say they fit from 73-87, but that's for the none A.I.R. system. Those gaskets are about and inch longer than the ones I need on my motor. This motor is in a 32 1/2 foot Malibu Motorhome that has a John Deere chassis. I ended up having to cut some gaskets out of gasket material, but would really like to find out what I need to order for the next time I work on it. It seems like this motor must have a different set of heads than about 99% of the other 460's. I went to all of the autoparts places here in town and no one could answer it for me and even the guy at the Ford garage was stumped. I don't think he looked too hard, but it might be some strange duck of a motor. So if anyone has some answers, I'd sure like to hear them. Thanks. Bernie

Redcat Diesel 10-05-2008 05:42 AM

Bernie, something you might want to look at is a set of gaskets from a 370 or 429 medium duty truck engine. The 370/429 " Lima" engines were a beefed up version of the 429/460 engines used in lighter duty vehicles.:)

Also, when you were looking for gaskets did you tell the parts person you were working on a motor home chassis?

ArdWrknTrk 10-05-2008 06:03 AM

I have an '87 pickup with a carb and A.I.R. manifolds and don't really have a problem finding gaskets.
Are your manifolds different in a motorhome?

***First thought is that in MID 1987 the 7.5L went to fuel injection. These heads have different ports/manifolds than a carburated motor.

If the counter person doesn't know this and you have F.I. you might try asking for gaskets for an '88.

Hope this helps.

Bernief 10-05-2008 07:43 AM

More info

Yes, I did tell all the places that this was in a motorhome. And as far as the 429's, in the books they had, they all use the same gasket as the 460's. And it does have a carb on it, not efi.. The efi ones have the D port on them where the older 460's have the oval port. Mine has the oval port, but the manifold is just a bit shorter than the normal 460 and 429's. They brought out gaskets for a whole bunch of different motors, but nothing came close to matching up. I'm thinking it might be one of the indusrial type motors. On the valve cover there is a tag that has a model number and stuff on it. It says For Power Products, model # LSG-875V-6001-HW. So if that means anything to anyone maybe that will help locate what I'm looking for. Thanks for the help.

Bernie

Bernief 10-05-2008 07:49 AM

Just put your truck in as the vehicle I have in Advance Auto and it comes up with the MS90291 or M90248 and that's the same ones they have in town here and they don't fit the manifold at all. They are about 1/2" too long. The heads I have the ports are spaced just a little bit closer together making them not quite as long as the other heads.

Redcat Diesel 10-05-2008 07:50 AM

Bernie, you might want to try this link.:)

Welcome to the Ford Power Products Website

ArdWrknTrk 10-05-2008 08:39 AM

A quick search of this site pulls up a thread from last year, on the "385 series board"
You might cross post this question over there. Perhaps they can help.

You also might want to ask at a marina or some other place that services generators/industrial engines.

I found this "authorized Ford Industrial Engine Dealer" online. In the last paragraph they state they "stock both parts and remanufactured industrial engines"