Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   4" Turbo Back Exhaust (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/775885-4-turbo-back-exhaust.html)

SC_Dave 09-16-2008 03:43 PM

4" Turbo Back Exhaust

I had a 4" turbo back exhaust installed about 6-8 months ago. The muffler as you know is open straight through. A few times I have had the opportunity to here my truck as someone else drove up in it or drove it away. I don't like the sound AT ALL. It sounds like a pea sheller and I can't stand it anymore. I know that there will be some restriction of the exhaust much like the original muffler but I don't care I'm tired of the way it sounds. Any suggestions on a 4" muffler? What muffler is available that will quieten it down?

David

Pocket 09-16-2008 03:50 PM

What brand exhaust? And when you installed the muffler, which direction did you point the baffles?

So you just want to quiet the sound from outside, or is it loud inside the cab too?

Personally I think the best sounding muffler for these trucks is the Aeroturbine. It's very quiet inside the cab, but outside has a very mean and throaty sound. Not sure if that's really what you are shooting for or not. My truck has the MBRP exhaust and muffler. On a few occasions I've listened to the exhaust when my wife drives away, and it sounds like a really mean old big block V8 gasser. But it's not so loud that it's annoying either.

Ponyboychris 09-16-2008 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Pocket (Post 6553589)
What brand exhaust? And when you installed the muffler, which direction did you point the baffles?

So you just want to quiet the sound from outside, or is it loud inside the cab too?

Personally I think the best sounding muffler for these trucks is the Aeroturbine. It's very quiet inside the cab, but outside has a very mean and throaty sound. Not sure if that's really what you are shooting for or not. My truck has the MBRP exhaust and muffler. On a few occasions I've listened to the exhaust when my wife drives away, and it sounds like a really mean old big block V8 gasser. But it's not so loud that it's annoying either.

I'm with Curtis, I like the sound of my MBRP 4" muffler. Nice rumble and sound.

camodown 09-16-2008 09:31 PM

Well, for a more mellow sound, the aeroturbine as Pocket said is nice. A bit spendy though last time I checked. I would have to steer you AWAY from the Walker BTM that most seem to rave about. I have one and it sounds like a giant hairdryer at over 2500 rpms... And no, i didn't install it backwards... I did the first time and it took one drive to figure that out haha.

SC_Dave 09-16-2008 09:34 PM

I'm not sure what the brand is. I took it to a muffler shop that a friend owns, he ordered and installed it. When you listen to my truck pull off it makes a clacking /slapping sound. You can hear some turbo spin which I don't mind. But other than that it sounds crap. I called FlowMaster today and he suggested their Hushpower.

David

camodown 09-16-2008 09:36 PM

Does it sound fluttery? Thats characteristic of a 7.3. If you are ready to get a hushpower...get out the wallet... I looked at one, until I got the price $224...I'll take my hairdryer haha

big poppa 09-16-2008 09:47 PM

What i would do is go to the MBRP web-site and listen to their sound bites, click on the 7.3 exhaust system and get an idea what it sounds like, to get an idea anyway.As for your muffler, sure it isn't a glasspack ? Had one on mine before i got my exhaust, lots of flappin and fluttering...

Ponyboychris 09-16-2008 10:24 PM

A glasspack on a 7.3? I would love to hear that.

Here's Guzzle's soundclips:

Welcome to guzzle's 4" MBRP Exhaust Sound Clip Web Page

big poppa 09-16-2008 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Ponyboychris (Post 6555287)
A glasspack on a 7.3? I would love to hear that.

Here's Guzzle's soundclips:

Welcome to guzzle's 4" MBRP Exhaust Sound Clip Web Page

LOL, sounded pretty good matter of fact but wanted the duals. Wished now i had a sound bite for yaa..