Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Next Generation (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum177/)
-   -   New Guns (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/774924-new-guns.html)

texastech_diesel 09-13-2008 12:15 AM

New Guns

... are my favorite thing ever. That and the smell of Hoppes No. 9.

So I broke down and bought a Remington 870 yesterday. I wanted a beater gun to replace using my Browning in the mesquite down here, the thorns are murder on the wood. It's a 12 ga Express with a 26" barrel, pretty quick to pull up compared to a big over-under, and the laminate stock that'll hold up a lot better to abuse. All in all, I'm thinking as a work gun, this is about as nice as it gets.

I picked up a Marlin .30-30 not to long ago, man if you put the Hornady Leverutions or some Winchester ballistic tips it'll hit out to 200+ yards on open sights without even really trying. I'm gonna make a BIG dent in the hog population with this thing:D Beats the heck outta the .223, which I dont think could hit the barn side of a broad without a scope on it. Might just be because the Marlin is about twice as heavy than my crappy Rossi. But the .223 doubles as a 20 ga. single shot, so it might stay in the safe for a bit longer.

A buddy picked up a Springfield Armory 1911 .45 in August and GEEEZZZ that thing is a dream. First time I shot it I was doing fine hitting metal targets up to 75 yards using some crappy Winchester ball ammo from wal mart. Beats my 9mm at just about everything.

Anyone picked up anything lately?

Truckin4life 09-13-2008 10:18 AM

Damn you!!!!!!!!!!!

Nah i havent picked up anything new lately, was lookin at getting a new shotgun... But i spent the coin on the truck... O well... Ill get one eventually...

Where you hunt pigs at?

My 7mm does some damage to pigs, but really its to big of a gun for pig hunting...
Ive shot 1 pig with it, it killed it instantly but, really its to much gun, i bought it for elk hunting when i used to live in montana...

Ultramagdan 09-13-2008 07:35 PM

If your going to test it out why not go with a synthetic stock? My 835 and Super X2 both have them and I think they are great. Synthetic while deer hunting can be very, very cold. My Ruger 30-06 has it and is sucks the heat out of my fingers even with gloves. It's a nice 1-2 shot rifle but holding it when it's cold is torture. I don't have that problem with my shotguns.

magusjinx 09-14-2008 01:13 PM

Hogs? ... Many years ago I went with a friend to find some pork in so-cal ... We took tree stands and waited ... 4 rounds of my 180 grain .308 didn't do much as they were head shots ... But danged if that one shot of 500 grain .458 didn't stop him flat ... I still get a ghost ringing in my ears just thinking about it ... My partner was about 20 feet behind me and maybe 10 feet to my right ...

texastech_diesel 09-14-2008 07:35 PM

The synthetic stock is more expensive to buy and the laminate wood will hold up fine, at least for awhile. If I ever replace the stock it will be with a synthetic.

I shot it today and with a Mod choke I was hitting prolly 9 of 10 clays. A bit different tighter than I'm used to for trap, but it'll just make me better. I found out that Remington's skeet shoke is actually open, it doesn't constrict at all and is spec'd at -.005". Their full is twice as tight as the Mod, so I think I'll drop that in for next time and see how I do. And I'm gonna get a cylinder or IC and start putting slugs through it.

Surge08 09-15-2008 09:08 AM

I like black powder

I have a CVA Optima Pro 209 .50 Cal Long Barrel

magusjinx 09-20-2008 05:41 PM

I like to tinker with handloads ... Have a few nice rock salt ones as well as some pure powder loads that shoot a nice flame about 15 feet ... Next on the agenda is a flachette round for in the house ...

BioHazrdMan 09-20-2008 08:39 PM

Here is the last gun I picked up... Kimber 1911 TTE/RL II:

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...n/IMG_1349.jpg

Some of my other guns.... and that is not even all of them! :-tap

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...n/IMG_2054.jpg

magusjinx 09-21-2008 10:59 AM

RUGER 10/22 GATLING GUN CNC MACHINED ALUMINUM SET - Tactical

This is the ultimate Ruger 10/22 ...

I like your Rugers ...

4020FarmBoy 09-28-2008 12:21 PM

Getting ready to buy a savage stevens 200 in 300 win. mag. will be my first gun that wasnt handed down to me.

mwvdub 09-29-2008 10:56 PM

a few months back I picked up a kimber grand raptor.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/d...and-raptor.jpg

mercman86 10-12-2008 08:40 PM

Im thinking of gettin a Magnum Research Baby desert Eagle .40 cal stainless steel. Ive checked them out, it seems like a pretty nice weapon. Im also considering a Ruger .40 KP944 Semi auto. My uncle let me shoot his and i wanted to take it home with me! Gotta love new guns!

magusjinx 10-14-2008 05:09 PM

Just went to the post office ... Nice neat little package af flachettes ... 1" ... Should make 2 layers in my 12 gauge ... Or should I do a laer of rock salt above a layer of flachettes? ... So much pain, so many combinations ...

big_ford_rednek 10-29-2008 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Ultramagdan (Post 6544467)
If your going to test it out why not go with a synthetic stock? My 835 and Super X2 both have them and I think they are great. Synthetic while deer hunting can be very, very cold. My Ruger 30-06 has it and is sucks the heat out of my fingers even with gloves. It's a nice 1-2 shot rifle but holding it when it's cold is torture. I don't have that problem with my shotguns.

agreed on the cold part. i USED to have a 7mm mag w/ a synthetic stock. i got rid of it cuz up here in wi it gets really cold for deer and hav heard of ppls stocks cracking and such. plus i think wood grain looks a lot nicer than synthetic. thats just me though. i just go my win. 1300 12g nwtf gun w/ shot barrel. it shoots like a dream. but still i love my ol 8mm mauser 98. my great grandfather got tha gun brand new and now im the 3rd gen one using it. so far i got 5 rifles and 3 shotguns. no pistols yet though:-banghead im working on it...