Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum40/)
-   -   Bagging a 65? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/771980-bagging-a-65-a.html)

ByondControl 09-02-2008 01:02 PM

Bagging a 65?

Little help!!

I have read almost all the various listings but no one has provided good concrete material. Is it better to change the subframe (Camaro, Crown Vic, etc), swap in a Fatman IFS system, use parts from another Ford family member, or just simply bag the existing IBeams? I know the problems with Camber but I want to know the opinions of my fellow F100 lovers!!

PS
Is there any other alternatives that have been attempted with success?

759dad 09-02-2008 04:07 PM

Im in the process of putting a front clip out of a '73to'87 chevy truck into my '66 f100. this will still be some work but it wont be as bad as the camero or crown vic clips. less fab work to make the radiator support fit because the measurments are pretty close plus we cut the center of the cross member and narrowed it so that my wheels will fit the fender better.I checked on the I beams and just could'nt get the drop I was looking for with this front end I can go with bags,drop spindals,springs,A frames etc.... hope this helps

Sam_Fear 09-02-2008 04:43 PM

There's a thread here called "Slammin' a '65" you might want to involve yourself in.

ddavidv 09-02-2008 10:44 PM

Airbags won't work on Twin-I-Beam. You need to purchase drop beams or swap the front suspension for something else. Popular options are Dakota, Diplomat, Aerostar and Crown Vic. Mustang II based suspensions are not well thought of for this application. The Dodge choices will also match your bolt patter for the rear to the best of my knowledge.

Chevy parts? Not going to make many friends here with that choice and the bolt pattern is different. But, to each his own.

759dad 09-09-2008 12:03 PM

I switched the rear end to a old lincoln disc brake rear end and the lug pattern is the same as the chevy truck.

billy12360 09-09-2008 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by ddavidv (Post 6507546)
Airbags won't work on Twin-I-Beam. You need to purchase drop beams or swap the front suspension for something else. Popular options are Dakota, Diplomat, Aerostar and Crown Vic. Mustang II based suspensions are not well thought of for this application. The Dodge choices will also match your bolt patter for the rear to the best of my knowledge.

Chevy parts? Not going to make many friends here with that choice and the bolt pattern is different. But, to each his own.

sorrry for the spam... but everyone loved my chevy bumper on my slick... and he can still be my friend even if everyone flames him...

garbz2 09-09-2008 05:00 PM

plus we cut the center of the cross member and narrowed it so that my wheels will fit the fender better.

The one thing you don't do is alter the already poor GM geometery.........

I hope it stays on the road for more than fifty feet at a time.

Garbz

MeanGreen66 09-09-2008 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by ddavidv (Post 6507546)

I disagree with the comment about the Mustang II front end. I have one on my 66F100, with a fatman sway bar, and QA1 coil over springs. I have not got to drive it since the spring swap as it has been in the body shop but before that it drove great and I can only expect it to get better with the new coil overs. But like ddavidv said...to each his own. Also, I must say I feel sick everytime I hear someone mixing Chevy crap with Ford but that is my opinion...and you know what they say about opinions! :-drink

Sam_Fear 09-09-2008 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by MeanGreen66 (Post 6530572)
... but that is my opinion...and you know what they say about opinions! :-drink

Yeah, I got an opinion - lets see some pics of your truck, MG66! That avatar pic is a teaser.

Bill W 09-09-2008 10:06 PM

Last I herd was that Brandon (slammin a 65) was switching to a Mustang 2 front end from the Ibeams he was using?!?.

MeanGreen66 09-09-2008 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Sam_Fear (Post 6530834)
Yeah, I got an opinion - lets see some pics of your truck, MG66! That avatar pic is a teaser.

Well, in response to your opinion I have started a gallery. The truck is currently in the middle of being restored again so I posted a pic of the engine, a rear shot of the new mustang tank, the speedometer that I restored, the before pic with the sunset in the background, and a pic of the front end. Let me know what you guys think!!!:-jammin

ByondControl 09-10-2008 08:05 AM

Well,

I just got a response from Heidt's who make mustang II front ends, and they told me they do not carry one for the 65 F100's due to the fact of them being to Front Heavy! What does that mean???

However, I did talk to a great person by the name of Brett from Fatman Fabrications (His truck is the teal 67 F100 on the website) and they have a kit specially made for the 65 F100 for $2800.00 (Stage 4 which includes cups for airbag setup). He was so Kool. He sent me the build sheet for the Mustang II swap and highlighted all the parts I was interested in on the Catalog he sent me. He was a great help but that is a lot of money.

My question, Is the 65 and on F100's more front heavy than the previous F100's? Does it really make a difference? Has anyone put a Mustang II front end in their F100?

PS
I am also one of those guys that does not believe in mixing GM and Ford. I hate to see a Perfectly built 56 F100 and find a 350 or 454 inside it. If you want a Chevy then Buy a Chevy! I love all classic trucks, be it GM, Dodge, Ford, Studebaker etc., a classic is still a classic!!! I just prefer FORD!!!

garbz2 09-10-2008 09:36 AM

Really

And please tell me just how many FORD parts are on the fatman kit?

The issue is with gross registered vehicle weight. A slick dressed is around 4000 pounds depending on the options. add a big block AC and all other kinds of things and the weight goes up. If the truck weighs 4000 and you add another 1000 you all ready are at the stock limit of the regestered weight and you are not in it. Not fun getting tagged by john law as being over weight on the axles.....

Trucks also have horrible weight transfer under braking. Basically about 90 percent of the trucks weight is transfered to the front suspension. One heck of a load is delivered to the front suspension.

MIIs were designed by ford to be a 56 inch width track on a 3000 pound econobox. a slick is a 60 inch track. Current MIIs offered rework the control arms and mount points to compensate for this.

After market MIIs mearly use the design concept and basic geometery and not much else.

Garbz

Brandonwillis90 09-10-2008 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Bill W (Post 6531230)
Last I herd was that Brandon (slammin a 65) was switching to a Mustang 2 front end from the Ibeams he was using?!?.

i forced the i beams to fit, im going to build a tubular frame with IRS/IFS after xmas!

so who ever said you cant bag a truck on ibeams, your wrong.

garbz2 09-10-2008 04:52 PM

Bagging beams just takes a little creative thinking as to just how one would mount it and rework the upper perch. other wise the bag just replaces the stock coil spring.

Largest issue is the huge camber change incurred once the air is let down. And there is not much that can be done with that its a live with it thing.

I beams are LOOOOONNNNNNGGGG and have a huge arc through the king pins on any travel.

I like the force it to fit!.....

Garbz

Brandonwillis90 09-11-2008 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by ByondControl (Post 6532147)
Well,

I just got a response from Heidt's who make mustang II front ends, and they told me they do not carry one for the 65 F100's due to the fact of them being to Front Heavy! What does that mean???

However, I did talk to a great person by the name of Brett from Fatman Fabrications (His truck is the teal 67 F100 on the website) and they have a kit specially made for the 65 F100 for $2800.00 (Stage 4 which includes cups for airbag setup). He was so Kool. He sent me the build sheet for the Mustang II swap and highlighted all the parts I was interested in on the Catalog he sent me. He was a great help but that is a lot of money.

My question, Is the 65 and on F100's more front heavy than the previous F100's? Does it really make a difference? Has anyone put a Mustang II front end in their F100?

PS
I am also one of those guys that does not believe in mixing GM and Ford. I hate to see a Perfectly built 56 F100 and find a 350 or 454 inside it. If you want a Chevy then Buy a Chevy! I love all classic trucks, be it GM, Dodge, Ford, Studebaker etc., a classic is still a classic!!! I just prefer FORD!!!

where do you live? Ill build you a complete front crossmember with custom hand made control arms/power rack and pinion, for 2200. And absoutly no one else will have it. 1 off, custom.

or if you want to be a real bad ass. Ill build you a full tube chassis

hand made IFS, probably with mustang spindles though
full tube chassis front to back all tig welded(or 2 by 4 if you want it to be cheaper)
IRS(if you dont want IRS triangulated foward 4 link.
slam specalties bags
8-1/2 inch valves
chrome hardlined air set up(if you want it to be cheaper 1/2 inch DOT airline)
2 viar 480 compressors
2 3 gallon tanks ( or i can build your frame air tight, and the whole frame can be your tanks)

everything for 8-10 grand. in black chassis paint.

for 10-14 grand ill paint it and cut and buff it!

cant beat the price anywhere, i promise.

and if you havent seen my thread heres some photos of my work.
being patched
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3.../aPG4J7200.jpg
after
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3.../aPG4J7206.jpg

4 link
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...0/PG4J6944.jpg

one low truck.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...0/PG4J6951.jpg

note that i hate bondo, but will willingly admit that my bed has quiet a bit on it. This truck was in beyond rough shape when i got it. there was atleast 4-5 gallons of bondo on just the bed. up to 1 inch thick in spots, now its never more tha 1/8 inch. but the bed was to trashed to not use it.

i dont mean to threadjack i just wanted to share.

oh yeah, heres bagged on i beams.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...0613081524.jpg

1966f100tx 12-17-2018 11:48 AM

Bag on Beams

What are the drawbacks to bagging on beams? Before I go out and clip something, I already have dropped I beams from DJM but I am looking for a slammed stance.

EricJ 12-18-2018 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by ByondControl (Post 6505578)
Little help!!

I have read almost all the various listings but no one has provided good concrete material. Is it better to change the subframe (Camaro, Crown Vic, etc), swap in a Fatman IFS system, use parts from another Ford family member, or just simply bag the existing IBeams? I know the problems with Camber but I want to know the opinions of my fellow F100 lovers!!

PS
Is there any other alternatives that have been attempted with success?

What are you trying to accomplish? If you're building a slammer I can't help you, however if you're just looking for adjustable height and a nice ride I'm in the process of building an air suspension from scratch in my '66 4x4 project and I'd be happy to keep you up to date on my trials and tribulations.