Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   S. California Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum103/)
-   -   AOD to 300 inline--Expert help needed (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/771476-aod-to-300-inline-expert-help-needed.html)

F-250 restorer 08-31-2008 04:02 PM

AOD to 300 inline--Expert help needed

hello everyone. I am looking for a little guidance before starting a project. I currently have a 75 F-350, with a 390, and a C-6 trans. The engine is failing and burning 2 quarts oil a week, and may be jumping time, pinging badly, sometimes running on. I like the idea of downsizing for fuel economy, and the ease of working on the inline 300, as well as its reputation for being long lasting and giving 30--40% more torque/hp than an equivilant V8.

So, I am install a 300 inline with an AOD trans, and hope to get upper teens milage in the city, and slightly above 20 on the freeway. The rear end is 3:31 ratio.

MY QUESTION IS THIS: What do I need to watch out for when buying engine and trans, as far as compatability? Which year bolts up to which year? etc. I am looking at a '92 AOD (not EAOD), and will most likely use a block/engine from the early eighties.

OldMetal 08-31-2008 04:59 PM

I can't answer your question but you might want to rethink what your planning here. I have a 300 six in my truck and I like it but it is no speed demon and going up some steep hills in the mnts. and desert I have to downshift to third gear, it may have a excellent torque output but you need the RPM's to get it. I would bet you with a AOD in yours it would only be of use going down hill, I know it would in mine. Smaller engines are nice but they do work harder. Think of it this way; if you curl 50lbs with one hand you put a lot of stress on your muscle and use lots of energy, if you use two hands it's a lot less stress and in some cases uses less energy.
See what others may have to say though, I just don't want you to spend a lot of time and money on something you won't be happy with.

F-250 restorer 08-31-2008 10:09 PM

Old metal: thanks for the reply...however...

Old metal: Thanks for the advice. However, I should have mentioned that the ford 300 inline has about 140 hp stock. Mine will have about 240 when I put it in. Bored .030 over, with high comp. pistons, larger valves from Clifford's, milled head and block deck, high performance intake, four barrell autolite 4100 from pony carbs, mild cam and headers of the correct size, will do the job. I imagine fully loaded I may need to shift down from overdrive, but it should climb any hill without too much trouble.

jake08 08-31-2008 10:44 PM

I would think Col. Flashman could be of great assistance on the 300ci. I met a fellow at a show recently who had a 300ci./C6 combo in a 50 Hudson coupe, he was overjoyed with the performance. Good luck.

OldMetal 08-31-2008 11:40 PM

Looks like you have the situation in hand there F250! I didn't mean to come across as the bearer of doom there but I've seen others take on projects without thinking things through.
Good luck on this and let us know how it works out for you.

F-250 restorer 08-31-2008 11:43 PM

just trying to learn...

thanks for the word. I am certainly not an expert. By gathering info I am learning whether it is a good idea.

Col Flashman 09-01-2008 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by F-250 restorer (Post 6500320)
hello everyone. I am looking for a little guidance before starting a project. I currently have a 75 F-350, with a 390, and a C-6 trans. The engine is failing and burning 2 quarts oil a week, and may be jumping time, pinging badly, sometimes running on. I like the idea of downsizing for fuel economy, and the ease of working on the inline 300, as well as its reputation for being long lasting and giving 30--40% more torque/hp than an equivilant V8.

So, I am install a 300 inline with an AOD trans, and hope to get upper teens milage in the city, and slightly above 20 on the freeway. The rear end is 3:31 ratio.

MY QUESTION IS THIS: What do I need to watch out for when buying engine and trans, as far as compatability? Which year bolts up to which year? etc. I am looking at a '92 AOD (not EAOD), and will most likely use a block/engine from the early eighties.

Cheque out my Photo Gallery, as I'm quite sure you'll be pleased w/ what you see.

F-250 restorer 09-01-2008 10:59 PM

Col Flashman

Thanks for making me aware of your photos. They were great. Your engine is a bit more built than what I plan.

I was wondering how you like the performance, compared with a v8. Also, if you have any experiance with Pony Carbs, in N. Mexico.

As I am planning this project--changing from a 390 to a 300 inline, a lot of friends are trying to talk me out of it. But the durability and simplicity of the 300 appeals to me.

I will most likely be going with .030 bore, balanced, high comp. pistons, mild RV type cam from Cliffords, with their four barrell intake, an autolite 4100 carb, DUI distributor, and ported head milled .020, and the block decked .010, with a good set of headers.

Behind that I am putting a '92 AOD trans. I am hoping to have plenty of power and feul economy. It is a daily driver.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Col Flashman 09-01-2008 11:44 PM

F-250

You're quite welcome & it usually is for most!

I'm a dyed in the wool I-6 man & will only under great duress own another v8. Pony Doesn't ring any bells w/ me.

My build has low end FPT where I need it & the the HP on the high end for Hwy driving. The I-6 is far superior to a v8 for it's reliability & longevity, I've yet to have an I-6 self-destruct as catastrophically as a v8 is known to do under similar use.

So why be a lemming such as the rest of your friends, do your truck proud & stick that 300c.i. I-6 in the olde girl so you are able to have lots of fun just by being different.

Now that AOD, in order to fix all its flaws, so it'll stay together as it's supposed to. You'll need to have a Performance Builder replace the deficient parts in the trans to make it reliable.