Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Turn Signal Flasher silent (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/771384-turn-signal-flasher-silent.html)

79BRNC 08-31-2008 09:15 AM

Turn Signal Flasher silent

The turn signal flasher is silent in my 2005 F250.

If I looked it up right, the turn signal flasher is a 5 terminal unit, EP27 or 727 depending on who makes it.

Since this is an electronic flasher, not a thermal/mechanical one, can I assume that any replacement will also be silent?

The LF12 "loud" flasher that Trico makes is only a 2 terminal unit so it would be no good as a replacement.

Any ideas on how to make the turn signals click like the good old days!

ReAX 08-31-2008 09:47 AM

Yes the noise you hear is from the mechanical movement. You could probably install a peizo siren, but it would be a high pitch squeal rather than a click.

79BRNC 08-31-2008 10:38 AM

I stand corrected. I turned off the A/C and the radio and yes the stock flasher does make a clicking noise, it is not silent. But I wish it was louder!

krewat 09-02-2008 03:26 PM

I remember some manufacturers (like GM) made silent flashers - only to find out they had a high rate of people leaving them on and driving with one flasher blinking. Like George Carlin said - they're going around the world to the left :-X14

Anyway.... maybe a "heavy-duty" flasher might be louder?

timcommon 09-02-2008 04:55 PM

My '06 F-350 has always been to darn quiet.
If there is a way to install a chime turn signal sound as they have in the higher priced vehicles, that would be great!
Any ideas out there?

BLUELINERACING 09-02-2008 07:00 PM

You could go to Radio Shack or another electronics store and pick up a 12v beeper. They come in different tones and loudness levels. It would be pretty easy to install, just tap off of the turn signal. Leave the unit under the dash so it wouldnt clutter up your dash.

timcommon 09-03-2008 09:46 AM

Gonna do it!

Originally Posted by BLUELINERACING (Post 6506701)
You could go to Radio Shack or another electronics store and pick up a 12v beeper. They come in different tones and loudness levels. It would be pretty easy to install, just tap off of the turn signal. Leave the unit under the dash so it wouldnt clutter up your dash.

Thanks for that thought .
Am going to check it out at Radio Shack today!

79BRNC 09-03-2008 12:02 PM

I'm just surprised that the aftermarket has not responded with a plug in solution.

bigjimcruising 09-03-2008 04:58 PM

Check J.C.Whitney, I think they used to sell something like this. Also look around the motorcycle parts places.

timcommon 09-03-2008 05:50 PM

found one! Need help with the wiring

Got a 3-wire chime rated for 6-18 volts today. (Radio Shack 273-071)
States that at 12VDC it chimes at > 80dB.
Sure ought to hear that puppy!
Would one of you truck electrical gurus spell out how to wire this rascal into my 06 F-350........
Puhleeze
8D

BLUELINERACING 09-04-2008 12:56 PM

I hope if its 3 wire that it gives you 2 (+)positive inputs and 1 (-)ground. If this is correct then all you need to do is find the wires that go out to your left and right turn signal bulbs in the harness under the dash. Then splice each positive side into each left and right signal wire and connect the other to a good ground. I wish that I could tell you the color codes of these, but I dont know them. You could use a test light to try to locate them, or ask on here if anyone can post a wiring diagram or color codes. The hardest part would be locating a good place to tap off of. Let us know how you make out.

timcommon 09-04-2008 06:29 PM

We'll see tomorrow

My truck accessory friend looked at the 3-wire and recommended I switch to a 2-wire which I did.
Going by his place tomorrow and see what goes down.
Radio Shack has a mess of different 12 volt noise makers to chose from.

timcommon 09-05-2008 09:43 PM

Well, it works!

No problems.
Tapped into the turn relay output line.
A little too loud so I'll be trying different "quieting" methods.
I just want to slightly hear the signals with radio on and moving.:rolleyes:

BLUELINERACING 09-06-2008 01:39 PM

Well since you have already been to radio shack, you could go back and get a variable resistor (think of it like a volume knob), put it inline on the positive side and adjust it to your liking. I have used them in the past for custom lighting in conversion vans.

timcommon 09-06-2008 03:18 PM

You're talking to a real amateur here

Originally Posted by BLUELINERACING (Post 6519224)
Well since you have already been to radio shack, you could go back and get a variable resistor (think of it like a volume knob), put it inline on the positive side and adjust it to your liking. I have used them in the past for custom lighting in conversion vans.

:-down
Yeah, guess I could do that but I'd be way over my head real quick!
Latest phase in this journey....
Was way too loud so I put a bandaid over it
Now too quiet
So I guess I need to perforate a bandaid
What a kick in the head, a 40+K truck with a bandaid!
Also these buzzers are kinda irritating in that they are around 3500 cps
So now I'm on the hunt for a single note chime
Radio Shack has only one chime and it's a 2-noter which sounds like a business door opening.
Nah!
We'll see.........