Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.4L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum169/)
-   -   SSI 08T01 Venturi Tee Installation (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/770639-ssi-08t01-venturi-tee-installation.html)

caprang 08-28-2008 10:30 AM

SSI 08T01 Venturi Tee Installation

I decided to start a new thread since the previous one was lengthy and a bit off topic in areas. There was a lot of upset folks on here about Ford not recalling all trucks to install this Tee. I decided it was worth doing myself and to be honest this was the easiest fix I have ever done. It will take me longer to post this than it did to install the Tee.

The part # you need is 8C3Z-8B379-B and my dealer charged me full retail price of $8.65. The kit comes with the Tee, 2 tension clamps, a rubber cap and clamp assembly, a zip tie, and even instructions!!! All that for the cost of 2 gallons of fuel.

Its a very simple install, the instructions are straight forward, comes with pictures and all. The instructions tell you to remove a 13/16 piece of hose where the Tee goes but I saw no need to so I didnt. I did however remove about an inch from the line running to the radiator only because it made the line lay down a little nicer.

Here are a couple of pics of the completed project. Less than $9.00 and less than 10 minutes of time to save my radiator.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...196787&width=1

This is a close up of the Tee (see the white stripe that indicates what direction to mount it). This shows you where to cut the original line as well.

This next picture lets you see where the rubber cap goes on the degas bottle and the wire tie that holds the line to the power steering resevoir.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...196786&width=1

I would recommend that anyone with a 6.4 do this. Ford is doing it to all the trucks on the lots and for less than $9.00 its not worth fighting with the dealer to do it. For less than 10 minutes of time its not worth leaving my truck at the dealer for a whole day. I hope this helps anyone that has been thinking about doing this themselves.

caprang 08-28-2008 10:34 AM

One more tip - I only lost a couple drops of coolant. As soon as I cut the line I held it up so the coolant wouldnt leak out. I didnt even lose enough to fill a bottle cap.

UGA33 08-28-2008 10:35 AM

What was the issue the trucks were having to warrent the Tee? Buddy has an 08 and i like to stay in the loop

DieselWhisperer 08-28-2008 10:53 AM

Thanks for the post. I'm going to see if I can pick up the part today and git-r-done.

caprang 08-28-2008 10:53 AM

Issue - In some of the affected vehicles, the radiator may develop cracks from a reverse flow of cool air/coolant from the degas bottle to the radiator, possibly leading to a coolant leak. If ignored, the leak may progress and reduce the effectiveness of the cooling system, which may lead to engine over heating and potential damage.

Action - DO NOT DEMONSTRATE OR DELIVER any of the affected vehicles involved in this program. Dealers are to install a Cooling System Venturi Tee on all affected in-stock vehicles. This Venture Tee will prevent the reverse flow of cool air/coolant from the degas bottle to the radiator.

Affected vehicles - vehicles built from Job #1 through May 15, 2008 equipped with the 6.4L diesel engine and built at Kentucky Truck Plant or Cuautitlan Assembly Plant.

At this time Ford is not recalling all trucks to perform this "fix". They are doing it to all trucks that havent been sold yet and they are also doing it to all trucks that are getting radiator replacement due to leaks. I chose to do it myself rather than wait for a leak to occur. If my radiator lived longer than the 3/36k warranty then I would have to pay several hundred dollars for a new radiator in the event of a failure. I look at it as preventative maintenance. The replacement radiators are no different than the factory radiators so this appears to be the fix or the prevention of radiator failure.

case_7010 08-28-2008 12:31 PM

question.. i just looked at my truck its a job 3 and i already have a T in it. how do i tell if its the right T or is the one that needs to be replaced not even a T?

caprang 08-28-2008 01:01 PM

There is no Tee to remove. You probably have a build date after 5/15/08 or else the dealer performed this fix prior to selling it to you. The factory set up involves 2 lines coming off the degas bottle. The fix involves those 2 lines going in to a Tee and capping off the other port on the degas bottle. If you have a Tee you should be good. You can also look to see if you have 1 or 2 lines coming from your degas bottle.

mikey2000 08-28-2008 02:13 PM

Thanks caprang. Great info.

yukondiesel 08-28-2008 02:18 PM

YOU (and the guys like you) are THE reason to subscribe to this forum! Many MANY thanks to you. I will get to this within a week...Deepest regards and did I mention "Thanks"? Joe:-drink

goneon66 08-28-2008 02:46 PM

Muchas Gracias senior Caprang...............

Nipperdog 08-29-2008 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by caprang (Post 6490579)
I decided to start a new thread since the previous one was lengthy and a bit off topic in areas. There was a lot of upset folks on here about Ford not recalling all trucks to install this Tee. I decided it was worth doing myself and to be honest this was the easiest fix I have ever done. It will take me longer to post this than it did to install the Tee.

The part # you need is 8C3Z-8B379-B and my dealer charged me full retail price of $8.65. The kit comes with the Tee, 2 tension clamps, a rubber cap and clamp assembly, a zip tie, and even instructions!!! All that for the cost of 2 gallons of fuel.

Its a very simple install, the instructions are straight forward, comes with pictures and all. The instructions tell you to remove a 13/16 piece of hose where the Tee goes but I saw no need to so I didnt. I did however remove about an inch from the line running to the radiator only because it made the line lay down a little nicer.

Here are a couple of pics of the completed project. Less than $9.00 and less than 10 minutes of time to save my radiator.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...196787&width=1

This is a close up of the Tee (see the white stripe that indicates what direction to mount it). This shows you where to cut the original line as well.

This next picture lets you see where the rubber cap goes on the degas bottle and the wire tie that holds the line to the power steering resevoir.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...196786&width=1

I would recommend that anyone with a 6.4 do this. Ford is doing it to all the trucks on the lots and for less than $9.00 its not worth fighting with the dealer to do it. For less than 10 minutes of time its not worth leaving my truck at the dealer for a whole day. I hope this helps anyone that has been thinking about doing this themselves.

Picked up my kit this morning for 5.95 + tx. Thanks for the info& Pics.
Driving from Florida to NY next week with my J1 and don't need any trouble.

stevestroke01 08-29-2008 07:17 PM

Good write up Caprang. I got my kit today and will install tommorrow. Thanks for the informative post.

offshore1 08-30-2008 06:57 AM

Thanks! Got the kit and will install it this morning.

powerstrokin03 08-30-2008 10:43 AM

Headed to the dealer right now. Thanx

big kahuna 08-31-2008 07:21 AM

no point in not doing it .will get mine done too
thanks