Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Who is rusting? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/770446-who-is-rusting.html)

parkland 08-28-2008 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by hdman6 (Post 6490063)
2002 crewcab here. (kentucky plant made) I have rust bubbling on the bottom of the door seams, both wheel wells too. I even had it rapaired once by ford at 98k miles under the rust through warranty. 1 year later it all came back. so its a bad thing we cant even stop it if we want to. they must be using junk steel. or bad design. Jeff

most rusht needs to be taken care of from both sides of the steel, and of course we only have access to 1 side.

nlemerise 08-28-2008 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Smokin' (Post 6490362)
Rust requires water and/or air moisture, which are two things that are quite a phenomenon where you live. ;)

Ah....no wonder I don't know :confused: about rust...moisture, is the missing ingredient here. Not one speck of rust on my 1974 Nova SS either Oo.!

rpenterics 08-28-2008 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by hdman6 (Post 6490063)
I even had it repaired once by ford at 98k miles under the rust through warranty.

What is the rust through warranty??

Kentucky born 02 Crew spent 68,000 miles (almost 6 years) in Florida, only rust I have found is some surface rust on the roof and a little more serious rust around every cab clearance light. I'll see what it looks like after a Michigan winter.

nhill2090 08-28-2008 12:11 PM

early 99 out of the kentucky plant

Developed a couple of rust bubbling out of under the paint on the rear fender well lip. Also a slight bit at teh very bottom of the extended cab door that is barely visible.

Need to get fixed ASAP but I'm kind of curious about the bubbling from under the paint as well.

hdman6 08-28-2008 02:04 PM

the warranty for rust through 5 yrs (5yrs from orig date a sale) so i want just under 5 yrs and It has to be rust from inside out. ie bubble paint broke through. But they wont replace the side panels which is the correct repair. the patch work only held up 1 yr then it started to "pop" again. so i dosent even matter. good luck. jeff

5. Slow 08-28-2008 05:55 PM

A lot of trucks I see in my area, Northern Illinois have rust over the wheels wells and bottom of doors. Fords around here seem to get it bad. Dodges get the bottom of the doors and some wheel well but not as bad. My 02 psd crew cab has 3 of the 4 doors rotted out, and passenger side rear wheel well bubbling. In fact one of my doors has bubbling paint on the side of doors on the inside along the seem. I have never seen that in any car/truck. That is simply poor paint/finnishing job. Most superduties I have seen already have the paint chipped off and rust forming. I guess I'm lucky just to have bubbles.

I have a buddy with a 01 d-max that had it since new and have been a work truck it whole life (landscape/snow plowing) and has never seen a garage or even a hose for the most part. His truck is rust free except for typical frame rust.

I'm done rantin and ravin for now,

Jim

megawatt00 08-28-2008 06:03 PM

01 washed as often as possible, won't fit in garage!!! subject to snow and salt. Small bit of surface rust on bottom of doors

Lovin7.3 08-28-2008 07:45 PM

The inside of the doors on mine are all rusted and I found a hole rusted through my bed yesterday. Also starting to rust on the bottom of the tailgate. Thats what you get for living in a state that throws salt everytime someone says "snow".....good'ol Indiana!!

Markadeck 08-28-2008 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Hiflyer746 (Post 6489460)
Yeah I started this thread because i'm going to go ape ***** if my truck starts rusting. There is no rust on the body right now. . . yeah frame and some components have some but. . . the body is spotless. Inside and out. From what I have seen, I fully expect to see rust start beneath the paint and eat away at the truck. This being the possible case. . . Ford Sucks at painting! This has got to be the most aggravating problem because it makes the product look so cheap! I have heard little things here and there that Ford in attempts to cut cost made a change to their painting process. This is about the worst way an auto company could shoot themselves in the foot. Anyway, I want to get more evidence and more answers. . . and I want this problem to be known, and I want to make a stink about it. Its not like its a new thing where mistakes happen. . . paint has been going on for years and a lot of other companies are doing it right! Keep the information coming!
Timmy

I'm all for raising a stink some how. I tried a few years ago and was ignored. Mine is a KY truck. Has been very well taken care of. If I am in Buffalo in the winter it is washed twice a week. I have rust on the bottom inside of the doors. Very little, but no reason for it. But what really bugs me is both sides where the rear doors meet the roof rust is bubbling out the paint. It is from water being trapped in their sorry drain system. It is a poor design, and a shoddy paint job too.

jdecker88 08-28-2008 08:42 PM

My truck has always been a Middle TN East TN truck and it has very little rust under her.

TxFordGuy 08-28-2008 08:52 PM

Katy, TX. Have a few spots of nics on the body that are rusting. how do you guys go about touchups with rust. frame rails and drive train have light patchy rust. there is alot of talk here about the rust but what is anyone doing about it? can you paint over it with some rust bullet or wire wheel the rust bullet?

my79f 08-29-2008 12:40 AM

99.5, came out of kentucky, the truck has been in central texas its whole life, and there is no rust what so ever on the body. it has never been exposed to salty roads, or even the ocean air. and it is usually dirty, washed maybe once a month

twags6 08-29-2008 01:53 AM

This thread is starting to scare me :'(. I know there are a few rust spots on mine starting to form under the cab in a few spots and of course the frame is rusty. Now I'm gonna spend all labor day weekend looking for rusty spots :eek:

I know exactly how crappy Ford paint is though. My dad's 88 had a two tone white and dark grey paint (white grey white). The grey wouldn't stick to the primer for crap. Only places it didn't peel off of were the front quarter panels and a little strip under the grille.

ColtM4 08-29-2008 01:55 AM

Central wa 98000 mi 2002. Rust on the dipstick tube. Otherwise just rust specks under the truck. They spray salt in the winter here. KTP

Hiflyer746 08-29-2008 06:36 PM

The problem I see here is not salt. Salt will eat bare metal. . . but shouldn't have any effect on paint. . . at least not in the short term. The things I am seeing is not the case where it rusts from the inside out to the paint side. . . its forming inbetween the paint and the panel. Thats not caused by rust. Thats poor prep. The reason why nobody is really doing anything about it is because this truck is huge. Lots of surface area and the problem is paint is very expensive and labor intensive to touch up correctly. it would be a never ending battle of fixing one spot and it popping up in another. So. . .I'm trying to get an idea of where the most common spots are, and what it looks like. Where it was made, I'm trying to find trends here. Pictures should be included. Anybody who can get a picture up here please do.
Timmy