Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Who is rusting? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/770446-who-is-rusting.html)

PowerstrokeJunkie 08-27-2008 09:44 PM

My truck has rusticles all over anything that's not coated in paint. It came from the salt belt!

Also, a few corners of my back windows are rusting out...?

Hiflyer746 08-27-2008 09:46 PM

Frame and components I'm not too worried about. . . although they should be treated too. Cab corners is something I havn't seen at all. In fact I don't think I've seen rust on the cabs yet.
Timmy

PowerstrokeJunkie 08-27-2008 09:49 PM

window corners, like where the 3/4" wide seal across the bottom meets the paint at the corners...

F350-6 08-27-2008 09:55 PM

02 KTP always outside. Semi-clean to dirty, 262k miles. No rust.

I've got 99 - 07's at work I'll check, but I'm not aware of any rust on those either.

If you want to get a clearer picture, why don't you start this same thread up in the super duty section, so you can include the gasser trucks that may have been built at different plants, or at least get a broader sampling.

preppypyro 08-27-2008 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Hiflyer746 (Post 6489460)
Anyway, I want to get more evidence and more answers. . . and I want this problem to be known, and I want to make a stink about it.

If you ever decide to make a stink, and through your info you find that there is problems with the paint/process/etc. you make sure you let me know.

This is the second ford in the newer styles that has rust starting under the doors. My 89 ford has rust now, but it lasted alot longer before rusting like this.

ford&excavators 08-27-2008 10:52 PM

Lots of Rust!!! 2001. I don't know the build plant. The main reason for the rust is location. I live on the southern Oregon Coast and I drive on the beach from time to time. Anywhere the paint chips it rusts within a couple months. The whole underbody was sprayed with some kind of black liner before I bought it but that didn't seem to help. Everything underneath is starting to rust. I wash it twice a month or so. Im convinced its all about climate and location, because when I bought it with 140k miles it had very little rust. Almost none, because it was in eastern Washington. Then in the 9 months, 30k miles, its started rusting everywhere. I hate it.

parkland 08-27-2008 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by preppypyro (Post 6489697)
If you ever decide to make a stink, and through your info you find that there is problems with the paint/process/etc. you make sure you let me know.

This is the second ford in the newer styles that has rust starting under the doors. My 89 ford has rust now, but it lasted alot longer before rusting like this.

Mine is rusting on the bottom ridge of the doors, a little.

The real problem is that i have chrome panels that will have to come off, to derust and repaint... then buy new panels to stick back on. SOB!!!!!:-banghead

I have some minor rust on the paint under the truck, but taking off the chrome panels tix me right the f off.

:eek:

parkland 08-27-2008 10:59 PM

Also, a friend of a frien has a 2005 chev 3/4 gasser with wheelwells rusting out.

they dont make anything like they used to...

preppypyro 08-27-2008 11:12 PM

I have those chrome strips at the bottom of my truck too. Also i have the black wheel well flares from the factory, i dont know If I wanna know whats going on under them.

parkland 08-27-2008 11:18 PM

If only they used checker plate aluminum for the 1/4 bottom and wheel wells on the truck.

hdman6 08-28-2008 06:44 AM

2002 crewcab here. (kentucky plant made) I have rust bubbling on the bottom of the door seams, both wheel wells too. I even had it rapaired once by ford at 98k miles under the rust through warranty. 1 year later it all came back. so its a bad thing we cant even stop it if we want to. they must be using junk steel. or bad design. Jeff

machmedic 08-28-2008 06:45 AM

2003 here in NC with no body rust, surface rust on frame. Truck came from Florida, thats why I figure its got the rust on the frame.

Smokin' 08-28-2008 09:04 AM

Early '99, born in Kentucky (KTP), made its way to Brighton, CO via Union Pacific Railway and has spent it's entire life in Colorado.

Garaged 1/2 the time, left outside the other 1/2 of it's life.

I have some tiny rust bubbles coming up on the bottom of the inside of the door frame and a little bit of surface rust on the bottoms of the doors. I tend to believe that this is mostly because of all of the camping/hunting I do with it, a lot of times I get mud and water and stuff crammed in there and I don't clean it out as quickly as I should. I also live in Colorado and in the winter it gets slimed with salt and other de-icers. No rust anywhere else on the body..some surface rust on the leafsprings.

nlemerise 08-28-2008 09:07 AM

Excuse this know-nothings question: What is rust :rolleyes:?

Smokin' 08-28-2008 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by nlemerise (Post 6490359)
Excuse this know-nothings question: What is rust :rolleyes:?

Rust requires water and/or air moisture, which are two things that are quite a phenomenon where you live. ;)