Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   doesnt sound good, running really rough (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/767315-doesnt-sound-good-running-really-rough.html)

Bin Strokin 08-15-2008 09:22 PM

doesnt sound good, running really rough

the other day i was driving aroung doing erins everything was fine, went home for a bit the had to run back out only this time when i started my truck up it was idling quite rough and when i put it in gear and started to move it was almost missing, so i left it, went away for the weekend and finally got to look at it today and now it struggles to stay running at idle and bareley revs, hope its not injectors, cant afford that right now. it was dumping rain the day it happened but its been a week since of warm weather so i cant see it being water problem, but i dont know

any ideas, please help

p.s. i tried removing the ICP sensor to see if it changed but nothing.

STROKIN'IT7.3 08-15-2008 10:20 PM

I'm not the brightest when it comes to rough idle/starting problems, but i know when i did my turbo upgrade, the harness on top of the valve covers got pulled just ever so loose and made it idle rough. Might try and see if they're plugged in all the way. Someone with a better understanding will chime in. Just a thought tho

zx250 08-16-2008 10:07 AM

1. Check oil level.
2. Check tin nut on back of IPR.
3. Get codes read.
4. Unplug ICP, not remove and see if idle is better.
5. Make sure fuel filter is good and fuel is flowing.
6. Check UVC connections.
7. Report findings back and we'll go from there.

Kwikkordead 08-16-2008 10:21 AM

Subscribing.
Nothing to add to Barry's advice.

joegebff 08-16-2008 01:04 PM

I was gonna chime in with uvch, but as usual, Barry's got it covered. :-drink

Bin Strokin 08-19-2008 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by zx250 (Post 6454257)
1. Check oil level.
2. Check tin nut on back of IPR.
3. Get codes read.
4. Unplug ICP, not remove and see if idle is better.
5. Make sure fuel filter is good and fuel is flowing.
6. Check UVC connections.
7. Report findings back and we'll go from there.

im having a brain fart, what are the UVC connections again?
and is the IPR the object on top of the HPOP where the fuel pressure spring is located?

STROKIN'IT7.3 08-19-2008 04:58 PM

under valve cover harness

PaysonPSD 08-19-2008 06:06 PM

IPR- The HPOP is below the fuel bowl.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/l...o/IPRHPOPa.jpg

Bin Strokin 08-19-2008 06:09 PM

cool thanks for the help guys,ill check that out and get back to u

Bin Strokin 08-20-2008 08:11 PM

k so i tried starting it today and now it wont start so i opened the fuel bowl and it wasn't full, i drained it on the back to get rid of any water but now it wont fill back up when i cycle the key on, the pump on the frame rail is working but it sounds louder than usual like its sucking air, i was thinking maybe my guage is faulty and that i ran out of fuel so i put in a few jerry cans of diesel and the gauge went up so it should be fine but im still not getting fuel to the fuel bowl.
any ideas?

zx250 08-20-2008 08:20 PM

It will take several pump cycles to get the air out. You really need to be over 1/4 tank full. Cycle key on and off for 20 seconds for at least 3 to 4 times. It should prime itself.

F350-6 08-20-2008 08:44 PM

How much fuel is in the tank? How dirty does your fuel filter look? Have you tried pouring diesel in the fuel filter bowl to see if that helps prime the pump? You can also remove the fuel line off the back side of the fuel pump, then blow some low pressure compressed air into the tank to get the fuel flowing, or stick a small hose on the back of the pump and dip it in a container of diesel to get fuel flowing through the lines.

Tenn01PSD350 08-20-2008 08:45 PM

You have found your problem. No fuel. Now find out why.

Bin Strokin 08-20-2008 09:29 PM

i tried cycleing the pump on and off several times over and over but nothing fills into the bowl, ill try the hose on the end of the fuel pump to prime the lines tomorrow and see what happens, and ill try blowing some air in the line back to the tank to se if i can dislodge anything that may be in there.
lovin all the help guys
i only have 2 more days to mess with it then i have to go to work and if the truck isnt running ill have to book a flight so all the help is appreciated.

Bin Strokin 08-21-2008 05:50 PM

k well i think i found my problem, i hooked up a hose to the inlet of the fuel pump and it wont suck fuel at all, so i ordered a pump, should have it by 5 and then ill see what happens, pretty sure thats the problem.

thanks for all the help guys