Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   How many turbo options are there? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/767075-how-many-turbo-options-are-there.html)

kbeefy 08-15-2008 04:21 AM

How many turbo options are there?

Sorry, I should have been able to figure this out with a search but was unable.

I'm looking at drop-in/bolt on turbo upgrades for my 2000 7.3. The more I look the more choices I seem to find. Along with claims that this or that one is a rebadged unit or clone.

My truck is fairly mild (mods in sig) but I tow a goose (10-12k#)and get alot of turbo stalling on hills, and would just like it to have more go power loaded.

It would also be nice if it would support a mild injector in the future, more than stock but not enough to require hpop mods.

These are the choices that are at the top of my head....

ww/ported housing - I already have a ww in the shed, seems an affordable and viable option but I'm afraid my 110k turbo has seem to much turbo flutter hauling that trailer. Don't want to mod it then have to rebuild it shortly thereafter.

Garrett GTP38R BB turbo - Friend has one and really likes it. After his first one died on him he told me of one with rebuildable bearings for a little more money. I can't find it but it sounds interestring. EarnestEugene's comparison on turbo units placed this about on par with a stock turbo w/ a WW and ported Exhaust housing, FWIW.

Turbonetics BallBuster - Guess this one has a bit larger impeller, is now a BB unit, and I've read a few places that it won't (or is the least likely to) surge. My friends GTP38R will surge if he wants it to, his just has a more manageable window. Plus his clutch can't handle the mods he's done to his engine so it doesn't matter anyways.

Phat Stroker - Having a hard time getting reliable info on this one, seems it's a rebuilt stock unit with a bigger impeller? Some said it's a TN BB clone.

Other Clones - Seems like lots of people are blaming the TN BB turbo on having lots of illegitamate offspring. Many people claim that it's the base for several other knockoffs. I dunno.

As a side note, I use my EBPV as an exhaust brake. I'd like a dedicated unit but can't afford it, and don't really want to give up the meager braking performance that my exh brake currently provides. Do the above turbos (or any others you know of) accomodate the EBPV in and the stock pedestal?

Well, hope someone sees this. Cheers!!

Pocket 08-15-2008 08:29 AM

I personally have the Garrett BB and I like it. Spools fast, it's LOUD, and it's been great when I tow at high altitude.

The TN's have changed over the years. Recently the only ones you buy now are the BB versions. It's different than the Garrett BB because the Garretts use the ball bearings on both ends, instead of just one like the TN. There are some threads and discussions on other boards going on right now about the TN BB and how it's still somewhat laggy compared to the Garrett BB. But yes, the TN does not surge at all.

My Garrett BB doesn't surge either. But I did have the compressor housing ported when I bought it, so I'm positive that has something to do with it. I have been in trucks with the Garrett BB without the ported compressor housing and I've heard them surge. So out of the box, it's possible to get the Garrett to surge. It's just that I've never had that issue with my own truck.

As for the TN knockoffs, I'm not sure if the new ones are the BB version or not. I haven't paid much attention. I drove a truck with one of the older TN knockoff turbos, and it was laggy. Definately not something I liked driving.

Both the Garrett and the TN are direct replacements, meaning you can use the stock pedistal and EBPV. Also both of them will easily handle mild injectors if you plan to add those later. A stock turbo with a WW and exhaust housing will handle stock injectors, but go beyond that and it's going to be hating life. Mild injectors will bring you well over 30 psi, and the stocker will live a much shorter life at that pressure. The TN and Garrett will run better than ever at over 30 psi.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your decision.

kbeefy 08-15-2008 11:14 AM

very helpful, thanks Curtis.

Since the guy who helped me build my truck has a Gerrett I'll probably stick with one of those. Does anyone know of a version with replaceable bearings?

Pocket 08-15-2008 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by kbeefy (Post 6451696)
Does anyone know of a version with replaceable bearings?

I think your friend is mistaken. The Garrett BB turbos are the same, there is no version with replaceable bearings per say. Yes it can be rebuilt, but it's expensive.

But with the sheer number of units that are sold, relatively few ever fail. It's a strong turbo that holds up for a long time.

The stock turbo is a Garrett, and that's easy and cheap to rebuild. Maybe your friend is thinking of that?

STROKIN'IT7.3 08-15-2008 11:21 AM

Well curtis said it all. I'm running a TN and am starting to realize the low end lag, but its not horrible, to me at least. what i've heart the gtp is way louder, don't know if your into noise, the tn is louder but manageable. I've only pulled a light load (4k maybe) no surge whatsoever. either will be a good upgrade