Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   New Hampshire Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum158/)
-   -   For those of you in CT with diesels (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/765789-for-those-of-you-in-ct-with-diesels.html)

Epd444 08-10-2008 07:08 PM

For those of you in CT with diesels

First off this is my first post in this section of the forum. I live in Connecticut, just north of Danbury.
The reason for this post is I drive a 1997 F350 with a 7.3 diesel. I just got a letter in the mail from the DMV saying I have to go to emissions. I thought the diesels didn't have to unless they were 08 and newer. My company has had diesels forever as work vans and never had emissions.

So my final question is:
Do you have to go to emissions wtih a diesel in CT, or did the DMV screw up??

BadNBlond 08-11-2008 12:44 AM

No i heard that they are now set up for Diesel Emissions....sorry... go put your cat back on :(

Towmanjbo 08-11-2008 04:45 AM

We've had deisel emmissions for a few years now, I think it is for '94-'96 and newer trucks.

rocdril 08-11-2008 02:08 PM

I have had to take my two F350 pickups in for emmissions, last two years in a row. (2002 + 2003). My 2001 is a dually so I think its over the weight to qualify. I never had any problems passing. Both trucks run chips, 4" exhaust, and k+ns. Neither truck had a cat new.

Aerocell4x4 08-11-2008 05:02 PM

Hello Epd444:

Go to Connecticut Emissions Program - CT vehicle emissions inspection, tests, repairs and in the top right corner is Search, just type in diesel.

Early in CT's emission program diesels went in and upon showing up were given an Exempt sticker that had to be renewed every few years.

I did not explore the search results to re-educate myself.

Best wishes,
Dave

Epd444 08-11-2008 05:55 PM

I have stacks with no cat or muffler. Some friends say it will still pass. Should I put a cat back on just for piece of mind?? Or play dumb and say I bought it that way? Just don't want the tester lookin underneath and seeing nothin but straight pipe

rocdril 08-12-2008 03:59 AM

I couldnt tell you. Like I said, none of my 7.3s came w/cats, (2001,2002,2003). But they did have mufflers. The times Ive been to emmissions w/them, the inspector did not look under the truck closely, but I dont have stacks either. Whats the worse that can happen? You fail and waste $20?

usherac21 08-12-2008 03:36 PM

I bought an out-of-state Excursion 7.3 and had to do emissions before I could register a month ago. Sucks. Try going to Federal Automotive on Shalvoy's lane in Danbury. They are one of the only shops in the area that do emissions on diesels and the guys are real cool. Good luck. Like the post above...what's the worst that could happen? The time to put your cat back on must be worth more than $20.

VQ2Fast4U 08-15-2008 06:43 PM

You dont have to go if your GVWR is more than 10,000 lbs. I up'd mine after i found out, cost about $20 more but at least i dont have to go to emissions.

Towmanjbo 08-15-2008 06:56 PM

The problem with that is some towns like West Hartford won't allow you to park it in your driveway at home if your truck is over 10,000 lbs.

BIGKEN 08-15-2008 07:49 PM

Be careful where you park...or...the Towman may get you!!! :-X10

Aerocell4x4 08-17-2008 08:46 PM

GVWR and Parking

Check the CT DMV for 'combination plates' which iirc are available for up to 12,500 pounds.

One of the features of combination plates is that they specifcally allow parking an otherwise 'commercal' vehicle in a non-commercial zoned area, read that as for the price paid you can park in a resiential area. This is the regstration type I have and I park on a residential street in plain view.

Don't know if a muicipality can pre-empt state laws and further restrict where you can park by reistration type.

Some community areas try to restrict vehicles on certain roads by weight, say 7,500 / 8,500 pounds. There combination plates won't help you - but - if you can prove that some who live along that road have over-weight vhicles (like a Hummer) in their drveways then you might have a chance with a discrimination challenge / unequal enforcement.

Best wishes,
Dave

Zookie400 08-17-2008 11:45 PM

10k lbs and up = commercial plates, renew registration yearly but no emmisions testing.
under 10k = EMMISIONS!!! i had my truck tested straight piped...i was expecting to fail but needed to get it done before they yanked my reg. the dork never even looked, and rattled the walls while doing the test, i passed. :)