Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   where to find white door handles (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/762704-where-to-find-white-door-handles.html)

Fraalan 07-30-2008 04:38 PM

where to find white door handles

I have looke dhigh and low and all I can find is paint to match.

Is there a secret club for white door handles?

greedy737 07-30-2008 04:47 PM

Paint to match? Junk yard? don't know!

big poppa 07-30-2008 05:11 PM

I was thinking of doing the same thing, plastic enamel like they paint the pillar pods??? Never seen same colored door handles except black, would look nice.

ron's power stroke 07-30-2008 05:56 PM

look on ebay..when i got my SS handles he had colored handles..not sure if they were painted or color plastic..i also dont remember the sellers name...that was 3 years ago..

big poppa 07-30-2008 06:02 PM

I'll take a look, thanks Ron....

mudracin74 07-30-2008 06:27 PM

dppi has some grey ones and blue ones on their website. give them a call maybe they have white as well. Diesel Performance Parts - Home

superduty4x4 07-30-2008 06:46 PM

1. Go to hardware store
2. Buy white Krylon Fusion and masking tape
3. Go home
4. Mask door (clean the handle with something if you feel so inclined to remove the oil and such)
5. Paint handle
Total cost- under $10.

Fraalan 07-30-2008 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by big poppa pump (Post 6401659)
I was thinking of doing the same thing, plastic enamel like they paint the pillar pods??? Never seen same colored door handles except black, would look nice.

I was thinking of using appliance spray enamel.

I have a few cans left over, I just hate to have it look cheezy.

Maybe a primer 1st?

big poppa 07-30-2008 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by superduty4x4 (Post 6401965)
1. Go to hardware store
2. Buy white Krylon Fusion and masking tape
3. Go home
4. Mask door (clean the handle with something if you feel so inclined to remove the oil and such)
5. Paint handle
Total cost- under $10.

I,m with Chase, got some white enamel sitting in the garage just waiting to be applied. Think i'll try it...This thread got me to do it...Also Fraalan, did my CB sticks with some enamel gloss and they look great. Gonna shoot some scrap plastic like the door handles texture and see what it looks like before i commit...

superduty4x4 07-30-2008 06:54 PM

I can't speak for the enamel, but the Krylon fusion will stick really good. I've seen where someone painted a panel on a dirt bike with the stuff, later crashed and cracked the panel, and the Krylon Fusion paint was still holding. The guy took the two pieces of the panel and stretched the paint out quite a bit... I was impressed. With the enamel I'd do at least a little prep work to make sure it sticks.

big poppa 07-30-2008 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by superduty4x4 (Post 6401997)
I can't speak for the enamel, but the Krylon fusion will stick really good. I've seen where someone painted a panel on a dirt bike with the stuff, later crashed and cracked the panel, and the Krylon Fusion paint was still holding. The guy took the two pieces of the panel and stretched the paint out quite a bit... I was impressed. With the enamel I'd do at least a little prep work to make sure it sticks.

I got some fusion paint in the garage(different color) from painting some plastic lawn chairs and the stuff held up good. I'll check it out, thanks Chase. Sorry for the Hi-jack Fraalan, taking all this down?:-drink

F250_ 07-30-2008 07:17 PM

It's simpler than all that, guys. I have an '03 Eddie Bauer Excursion that has the white handles. Just call a Dealer parts place (like FTepartsguy or Y2K Ford parts, both being site sponsors) and ask for the Eddie Bauer Excursion handles. Then you will have both the right color match AND a smooth, non-textured finish (painted black handles will still have a slight texture even after they're painted).

What you're going to have to do, though, is call them on the phone. I spent a few minutes hunting through their online parts catalog and the door handles don't show up. I have personally worked with Kenny at Y2k Ford Parts on several occasions, and he's great to work with. Either of the above referenced sponsors should be easy to work with, though. Just go to their website and give one (or both) a call.

big poppa 07-30-2008 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by F250_ (Post 6402083)
It's simpler than all that, guys. I have an '03 Eddie Bauer Excursion that has the white handles. Just call a parts place and ask for the Eddie Bauer Excursion handles and you should have not only the right color match, but it will also be smooth instead of having that slight texture the black ones will still have even after they're painted.

I was thinking of that eggshell finnish too? Good point Pete...:-drink

jays power stroke 07-30-2008 07:48 PM

i had to go to the dealer and get excursion handles cause they are smooth and paintable.You may get lucky and they have them painted in stock. I wasnt so lucky

Fraalan 07-31-2008 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by big poppa pump (Post 6402026)
I got some fusion paint in the garage(different color) from painting some plastic lawn chairs and the stuff held up good. I'll check it out, thanks Chase. Sorry for the Hi-jack Fraalan, taking all this down?:-drink

No its all good. I consider it building it up.

I did try the fusion and the enamel last night.

Neither matched but the fusion did bond better. You can see the color difference from any distance.

I did call ford yesterday and they only have paint to match (at least the 2 dealers that I called.

I have another trick up my sleeves, stay tuned.

Fraalan 07-31-2008 08:59 AM

call

Mark Craig
Diesel Performance Parts, INC.
411 Allied Drive
Nashville, TN 37211
866-455-7788 Phone
615-834-9923 Fax

he has mixed colors at $5 each (front only)
I got a black and a blue , the grey looks dimpled like the black

yes $5 ea

I found some rears at a reasonable price here

partstrain.com

F250_ 07-31-2008 09:50 AM

Wow! Only $5 each? Is that just the handle portion only, or the entire body of the handle ?

EDIT: I just called them and all they have left are the front door handles with the key holes, and all of their remaining stock is dark blue in color. Too bad! I was hoping to get four rear door handles so I could eliminate one entry point potential for some slumbug thief who may want to take a ride in my truck one day.

SpringerPop 07-31-2008 11:09 AM

These should be the part numbers for the Oxford White handles from the Excursion:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...id=194729&.jpg

Unfortunately, I'm not sure which are front and which are rears. Of course, if you want to eliminate the key holes, you need two sets of rears only.

Pop

BigBlueDiesel 07-31-2008 11:59 AM

As has probably been stated before, Ford has been trying to get away from stocking uniquely painted parts and have been transitioning to "paint to match" parts wherever painted replacement parts are called for. These handles, I'm afraid, were a casualty in that move.

I already had purchased a set of blue handles when they were available for my truck, which is Ford's True Blue metallic color, but at $5.00 a piece I went ahead and ordered two more fronts just in case mine get attacked by some worthless thief.

For those who are looking for painted handles and aren't against using the ones with the keyholes in them, I recommend you snapping up a pair of these. They will be the smooth finish and you can paint them to whatever color you need. They're bound to be cheaper than the "paint to match" handles you'll find at the dealer and you can sand them and repaint them a different color. Then just buy your rears from the dealer or online supplier. For that matter, you could even put these $5 keyed handles on the rear doors and only have $20 invested in the set. You'd have to make the call whether you're willing to have the keyed handles on the rears and also would have to get locks from somewhere to put in them but, darn, at $5 a handle it'd be hard to go wrong.

TchTchr 07-31-2008 12:02 PM

Oh great - something else that I "must" do to the truck. I never did like those cheap looking/feeling black handles (at least that's what I'm going to keep telling myself).

BigBlueDiesel 07-31-2008 12:21 PM

FWIW, I don't think the painted handles are much improvement, if any, over the build-quality of the standard black handles. They just look much nicer. As others have recommended before, you could save even more money by just painting your black handles. The minimal hassle of dealing with the textured finish would be the only concern.

F250_ 08-02-2008 01:48 PM

2C3Z3622405AAQ and YC3Z7822404AAJ have been superceded by 6C3Z3622405AAE, and the new number is now used for both left and right doors on the front.

2C3Z3626604AAV has been superceded by 6C3Z3626604AAG, and is the Right Rear outside handle.

2C3Z3626605AAV has been superseded by part number 5C3Z3626605AP, and I can't tell which door handle it is, but I suspect it is the Left Rear handle.

Originally Posted by SpringerPop (Post 6403955)
These should be the part numbers for the Oxford White handles from the Excursion:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...id=194729&.jpg

Unfortunately, I'm not sure which are front and which are rears. Of course, if you want to eliminate the key holes, you need two sets of rears only.

Pop

Fraalan 08-13-2008 04:08 PM

i get the eliminated the key holes, but what if your battery goes dead?

or if you lose your key fobs?

F250_ 08-13-2008 05:14 PM

I have wondered the same thing.

Mike Norwood 08-13-2008 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Fraalan (Post 6446692)
i get the eliminated the key holes, but what if your battery goes dead?

or if you lose your key fobs?

Then it is time for a locksmith. If you luck out like I did you only pay $40.

Fraalan 08-13-2008 05:54 PM

Gotcha, Aaa On The Way With A Slim Jim.

Not A Bad Idea.

nlemerise 08-13-2008 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Fraalan (Post 6401978)
I was thinking of using appliance spray enamel.

I have a few cans left over, I just hate to have it look cheezy.

Maybe a primer 1st?

I'd wipe them down with Silicone/Wax Degreaser (get it at an auto paint supply shop) first, then I'd prepaint it with an adhesion promoter (same auto paint supply shop).

jdecker88 08-13-2008 07:44 PM

I would personally just paint them instead of replacing them, I love the look of painted door handles and 04-07 tow mirrors painted like the Oxford White and Gold King Ranch trucks. I am sure a paint shop could do them for a fair penny ;).

big poppa 08-13-2008 08:10 PM

My truck is white and the door handles are black of course. Was thinking of painting mine until someone on here mentioned that the black handles look good with the white truck, breaks it up a bit, undecided now???

cangim 08-14-2008 12:00 AM

If I was going to paint the handles I would simply take them off the door and paint them. Remove the door panel, a few more nuts and a couple of rods to unlock and the handle is off. I removed one of mine when I replaced the door lock actuator. It was much easier to put the latch back on with the handle out of the way. Also with the handle off you probably could sand it down with a fine grit, prime it fairly thick to fill in and paint. It would probably end up very smooth looking after that.

cangim 08-14-2008 12:09 AM

Wahoo, double post, gotta love the timing out stuff...

parkland 08-14-2008 12:09 AM

The white or chrome handes, are just normal black handles with a cover with adhesive.

The driver door should be left without the lock cover, in case.....

I know this, because a friend of mine had "white" handles, and you can feel behind, that its basically a white cover, glued on.

Sure enough, I go home and check mine, same thing.

Tenn01PSD350 08-14-2008 12:47 AM

Wow, I wasted some time here. Keeping my black handles. They work well with my silver/black motif.

Fraalan 08-25-2008 04:47 PM

Well i finally got my ****e covers on and they look great.

Except of coure I left them in the garage over the weekend as i was out of town.

Sure enough on of the chillins got into the box and put a nice little chip on the drivers handle (of course).

but they look great and the match the factory paint perfectly and they were a breeze to put on.

PICTURES ARE COMING SOON!

Fraalan 08-25-2008 04:48 PM

I Wonder Why THE WORD "White" Was Edited Out?

Obama Isnt Even President Yet.