Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Indiana Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum124/)
-   -   starter problem? maybe (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/762186-starter-problem-maybe.html)

GaryRu 07-28-2008 09:01 PM

starter problem? maybe

Don't hardly know where to start. This is my first post for several years. It's been long enough that I had to re-register a month or so ago.
I have a 1964 F-100. Just took a 302 out and put in a 351 Windsor. I now have a whining, very whining, starter. It is a reman because the Windsor was hooked to an automatic and now it's tied to a four speed. Fly wheel is new, for a V8. Are teeth numbers different on different Windsors or is a Windsor a Windsor regardless of the year?The motor change was a hired job. I have no tools to do that so I don't know much about the flywheel except it was new and for a V8.
The starter was just bought tonight and installed (I did that, I can do a few things although I really don't like to any more).
Anyway, can you tell me about the flywheel and the teeth numbers? Is there a chart somewhere that would tell me, from engine ID number, what year this motor is? I copied the number tonight before I put the starter on.
I also hope I've put this post in the right place. If not someone tell me and I'll go to the main forum. I know you guys in IN are as smart as anyone.
Thanks,
Gary Rubendall
Dublin, IN.

gasman6674 07-29-2008 08:38 AM

You might want to dual post in the electrical or engine fourms.
Good luck

Mach1fan 07-31-2008 10:47 AM

I think you may need to take your remanufactured stater back for exchange. If it's whining, it probably isn't engaging the flywheel like it should, if at all. If there's slop in the starter shaft, even a little, it will spin but not engage the flywheel. You don't say whether you're actually starting the truck, but even a problem starter will turn the engine over occasionally.

Some "remanufactured" starters are not much more than cleaned up old ones.

Just make sure the sarter matches the year of the engine and you should be OK.

To decode your VIN (on the engine) try

VIN Number Decoder offer to you by Ford Trucks Enthusiasts | www.ford-trucks.com

GaryRu 08-03-2008 07:47 AM

Mach1fan,
Sorry I've been so long with this. Been awful busy and as usual, the truck just sits.
The starter does engage and will start the engine. It just makes an awful noise in the process. This is actually the second starter that's been on the truck. When I took the first one back, the guy at the parts store said, "That's the wrong starter for that motor." I'm thinking, Then why did you sell it to me in the first place? I guess everyone has bought from that guy at one time or another. Sorta makes you aggrevated when you're the one on the ground putting stuff in and taking it out.
I put my motor # in the search link you told me about and it told me it was an incorrect number, but I'm thinking I have a '75-'77 Windsor. The number is D4AE 6015AA-11.
Guess I'll have to wire brush a little more and see if I did write a wrong letter or number.
Maybe it is as simple as going to another parts store and getting another starter.
GaryRu

Mach1fan 08-05-2008 07:38 AM

I'm off to work right now so I have to make this quick. That appears to be an engine casting number rather than a VIN. It looks like a 1974. The "D" is for the 1970s, the 4 is the particular year.

IIn the meantime Google "Decode Ford Engine casting numbers" for some helpful links.