Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Some more glow plug changing questions (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/761549-some-more-glow-plug-changing-questions.html)

superduty4x4 07-26-2008 03:56 PM

Some more glow plug changing questions

Bear with me guys, remember I'm still new to the PSD :D
A lot of the stuff I read on changing the glow plugs says to make sure not to let a bunch of oil run into the glow plug hole when swapping them out- where would this oil be coming from?
Do the VC bolts need to be torqued, or can they just be snugged down?
What is the torque spec for the rocker arms?

Got my new PCM in today (no test run yet) and this is next on the list of things to do.

F350-6 07-26-2008 04:38 PM

You shouldn't have too much to worry about with the oil in the glow plug holes. Take a rag and wipe around them before you pull them out. I had my covers off last weekend and I don't see the oil being a big issue.

Now for the torque specs. I HIGHLY recommend doing this, even if you have no reason to pull the valve covers. I still can't believe how much better my truck sounds.

Rocker Arm Pedestals 20 ft lbs
Injector hold down bolts 120 in lbs.

I just snugged down my VC bolts.

superduty4x4 07-26-2008 07:52 PM

I'll need an in/lbs torque wrench for the injectors... wifey won't like that one much.

megawatt00 07-26-2008 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by superduty4x4 (Post 6389287)
I'll need an in/lbs torque wrench for the injectors... wifey won't like that one much.

Do you have a Harbor Freight near you? They have them and not to much $$. There is one near me. If you want I can pick one up and send it to you.

danskool 07-26-2008 08:20 PM

Or if you torque wrench will accommodate 10 foot pounds.

F350-6 07-26-2008 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by superduty4x4 (Post 6389287)

If it goes as well as mine did, she won't really mind. My wife took my truck last night and made the comment today that it was like I got a new truck.

Besides, show her the cost of a set of new injectors, then ask, shouldn't I be checking to make sure they're torqued down properly so we don't have to buy new ones.

If you've got a small enough torque wrench I think 10 ft lbs is the same as 120 in lbs, but double check me on this.

superduty4x4 07-26-2008 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by megawatt00 (Post 6389317)
Do you have a Harbor Freight near you? They have them and not to much $$. There is one near me. If you want I can pick one up and send it to you.

Not one close by, but I'll check the 'net. Shipping from MA to OR would probably be more $ than if I found a decent one "locally" tomorrow ("locally" meaning in the big city 3 hours away).

Originally Posted by danskool (Post 6389412)

Or if you torque wrench will accommodate 10 foot pounds.

I wouldn't trust my torque wrench at those low levels, even though it's a beam type. It would probably be fine but I'm known for being anal.

Originally Posted by F350-6 (Post 6389429)
If it goes as well as mine did, she won't really mind. My wife took my truck last night and made the comment today that it was like I got a new truck.

Besides, show her the cost of a set of new injectors, then ask, shouldn't I be checking to make sure they're torqued down properly so we don't have to buy new ones.

If you've got a small enough torque wrench I think 10 ft lbs is the same as 120 in lbs, but double check me on this.

Good point! I have a hard time convincing her to let me spend $40 on something I need... she'd shat at the cost of injectors (I've been trying to find a good way to convince her that some stage 1's would be worth the cost but I'm coming up blank... got any tips for that one? :D)