Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Codes 565 Canister Purge, 172 O2 Sensor, please help (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/759969-codes-565-canister-purge-172-o2-sensor-please-help.html)

Fox 07-21-2008 02:18 AM

Codes 565 Canister Purge, 172 O2 Sensor, please help

Hello from germany again :)

after one year of restoring my 1994 F 150 5.0 i finally brought it back on the road last week. The truck had a check engine light on since i bought it a year ago. I figured out this came from a bad TPS Sensor and replaced it. Check Engine was off and ervery thing fine. . . . for a little while . . .

yesterday i did the first longer drive with the truck and after some time check engine came on again, but goes off after some minutes.

i plugged my code scanner and pulled all the codes. This is the result:

565 Canister Purge Solenoid Circuit Malfunction
542 Fuel Pump Secondary Circuit Open,
172 HO2S Sensor System Lean (Bank1)

542 i think is the not working pump in the rear tank. But what is the other ones? what should i do next ?

thank you
Robert

danr1 07-21-2008 06:08 AM

You say you restored it? have the motor out?

172 and 542 might be as simple as you just missed a ground wire on the top of the motor. The secondary circuit is grounded there, two three wires, don't recall there color with a metal loop go on a bolt into the intake.

Black with a white or yellow stripe come to mind?

Lazy K 07-21-2008 09:47 AM

What danr1 says, also the faulty TPS may have jiggered the oxygen sensor.

Fox 07-22-2008 05:02 AM

hmmmm, a missing ground wire. The engine was not removed, but the inner and outer fenders and the complete front was. Maybe i really have forgotten to connect something. I will have a look at the engine today and search for missing cable connections.

What about the 565 Canister Purge Solenoid Circuit Malfunction ?
any ideas?

Thanks
Robert

danr1 07-22-2008 06:23 AM

There is 2-3 ground wires that connect to the core support, drivers side right next to the radiator. Do not recall if the SFC is grounded there to but it might be, if you missed all of them wires your head lights would not work either.

All grounds are important so it could come into play even if not directly.

pro70golfer14 07-22-2008 01:49 PM

canister purge bull crap is from the smog/air pump.

It could be coming up because you have taken out the smog pump but if you have not taken it out and it is coming up that means it is really malfunctioning and you need to fix it or just take it off. My truck and alot of my buddies trucks have it took off and they all say they notice a increase in how smooth the engine runs. Alot of people will tel you that it makes a world of difference and adds alot of horses but it doess'nt from my experiance it just makes you engine run better and a little bit of a difference. To sum it all up it is not worth fixing if it is broke just take it off and skip it in the belt routing.