Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.4L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum169/)
-   -   "calibration" messages (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/758178-calibration-messages.html)

goneon66 07-14-2008 10:04 AM

"calibration" messages

just got back from a 900 mi trip. i never saw any regen/"cleaning exhaust filter" messagess. i did see a few "calibration" messages and then a "calibration complete" message. anybody know what was being calibrated?? there was no loss of power during these messages.

thanks,

firstfordf25008 07-14-2008 12:27 PM

probably the time zone... if u look in the owners manual(i 4get which 1) u set a number depending on ur time zone then u put ur truck in the calibration mode and ur supposed 2 drive in circles in a certain direction a few times and it will calibrate the time 2 the truck i guess... i haven't done it yet cuz i dont care... i was interested though just because i have 38'' tires on my truck and when i saw calibration i was hoping it was 4 that reason.

pilotshot 07-14-2008 12:42 PM

[quote=firstfordf25008;6347032]probably the time zone... if u look in the owners manual(i 4get which 1) u set a number depending on ur time zone then u put ur truck in the calibration mode and ur supposed 2 drive in circles in a certain direction a few times and it will calibrate the time 2 the truck i guess...

I believe firstfordf25008 was referring to the recalibration of the magnetic compass in the message center. Each area of North America has a zone number in the owners manual so you can impute it into message center to use the magnetic variation in your area. The recalibration then requires two or more slow circles to recalibrate with the info you used.

My truck came with magnetic setting for Kentucky while I live on west coast. There is approximately 40 degree difference between the two places. By recalibrating the compass your magnetic heading will be accurate for the area you drive in.

There is no calibration for time zones in the truck computer.

goneon66 07-14-2008 02:00 PM

thank you

thanks for the replies gentlemen.

i was just hoping it was not some b.s. problem with the epa junk on this truck................

firstfordf25008 07-14-2008 03:17 PM

oh yeah pilotshot is right... c that s how much i didnt pay attention 2 it but i remember now

dt75flh 07-14-2008 11:17 PM

[quote=pilotshot;6347080]

Originally Posted by firstfordf25008 (Post 6347032)
probably the time zone... if u look in the owners manual(i 4get which 1) u set a number depending on ur time zone then u put ur truck in the calibration mode and ur supposed 2 drive in circles in a certain direction a few times and it will calibrate the time 2 the truck i guess...

I believe firstfordf25008 was referring to the recalibration of the magnetic compass in the message center. Each area of North America has a zone number in the owners manual so you can impute it into message center to use the magnetic variation in your area. The recalibration then requires two or more slow circles to recalibrate with the info you used.

My truck came with magnetic setting for Kentucky while I live on west coast. There is approximately 40 degree difference between the two places. By recalibrating the compass your magnetic heading will be accurate for the area you drive in.

There is no calibration for time zones in the truck computer.

ever had any issues with it defaulting to zone 5...i also live in zone 9 and after setting and reclaibrating and a key off cycle wehn i check the setting it is set back on 5.....the dealer told me it was NORMAL after they couldnt get it to stay and they had to call the ford tech line.....:confused:

pilotshot 07-15-2008 12:02 AM

dt75flh:

Now that you have mentioned it , my magnetic calibration keeps reverting back to the factory setting in TN. You mentioned that your dealership has hot lined Ford for the fix. Can you share from the dealership how to stop the calibration returning to the factory setting after recalibrating it to local Magnetic setting. Maybe then I won't get lost as much. A pilot needs a magnetic compass or its a mayday..

dt75flh 07-15-2008 12:20 AM

I was TOLD that this is normal...after 3.5 hours at the dealer with the tech driving in cirles around the lot:-X18 (guess they didnt believe me).....they couldnt get it to stop.....I was informed that when i set it and calibrated it that it would stay there....

doesent make sense to me that when you go into the message center that it still reads 5....

this is like my 9th vehicle with a compass and NONE of my other vehicles did this but what do I know i'm just a simple person....

I think they cant fix it and tried to placate me by saying its normal....any techs want to chime in ???

so basically it still does the same thing

offshore1 07-15-2008 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by pilotshot (Post 6349412)
dt75flh:

Now that you have mentioned it , my magnetic calibration keeps reverting back to the factory setting in TN. You mentioned that your dealership has hot lined Ford for the fix. Can you share from the dealership how to stop the calibration returning to the factory setting after recalibrating it to local Magnetic setting. Maybe then I won't get lost as much. A pilot needs a magnetic compass or its a mayday..

My compass does same. Set it for zone 10 and while ignition is on-it stays to zone 10. Once key is off, then back on - it now reads zone 9. Ford Hotline said it's normal. Said it IS on zone 10, but defaults to read zone 9.
I say BS!! Here is something (minor) that they don't have a fix for and they say it is normal.

Who else has this compass issue?