Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Mercury letters? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/755705-mercury-letters.html)

Truxx1956 07-04-2008 05:29 PM

Mercury letters?

Hey guys, it's me again on this panel truck. I'd love to build it as a M100 Mercury. I thought someone said they are reproducing the M100 hood emblems now? Also I'd like to get the letters for the rear doors. Do anyone of you know where you could get someone to stamp the individual letters so I could weld them to my doors? My doors are JUNK and I'll have to do alot of rework to use them, so I could just as easily make them into Mercury as Ford, if I had the letters?

tacson 07-04-2008 05:39 PM

Terry,

I dont know of any "Mercury" sources right off but here is a link I have in my favorites that might be a lead to some. Good luck

Links

Truxx1956 07-04-2008 09:53 PM

Hey Donald, thanks for the link! I'll check it out when I get more time. I have plenty of time as of now. I was thinking of maybe someone would have a really rough Mercury tailgate that I could cut off the letters? If nothing else, I may just have the letters painted on?

Just a thought:rolleyes:

tacson 07-04-2008 09:57 PM

You could definitely do that. Get you one of the flat tailgates and just get it painted on.

Col Flashman 07-05-2008 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Truxx1956 (Post 6315972)
Hey guys, it's me again on this panel truck. I'd love to build it as a M100 Mercury. I thought someone said they are reproducing the M100 hood emblems now? Also I'd like to get the letters for the rear doors. Do anyone of you know where you could get someone to stamp the individual letters so I could weld them to my doors? My doors are JUNK and I'll have to do alot of rework to use them, so I could just as easily make them into Mercury as Ford, if I had the letters?

Take it from a '58 MERCURY M-100 truck Owner, there are NO Repro Bright Work sources for these trucks, Period, end subject!!!!!:-banghead
Most all FoMoCo Bright Work is some sort of Potmetal, in general for the Letters & Hood Side Flashes, w/ rather little Stainless Steele being used, mostly for things such as Merc-O-Matic badges & the like.
Each year had a different Style of Lettering & Hood Side Flashes, so getting someone to just stamp you out a set Both isn't going to happen.

On average there were less than 10,000-12,000 manufactured for ANY given year of Mercury trucks & in my case, there were a tick over 8,700 that came off the Assembly line, w/ an Average of Less than 10% surviving @ present in general for these trucks.

Now, on top of that, the plain fact that there were less than 10% of Panel Trucks that came off that same assembly line, so that's what, about 87 of them for '58.

So now, you not Only have to find Original Bright Work for the Hood, Rear Doors & the Letters were NOT welded to the doors. They were held in place just the Same as any other Canadian FoMoCo Bright Work, generally an Oval Stud & Clip, some can be found w/ a Double Stud. Then you've to locate the correct original Mercury Truck Hub Caps to top it off. So Good Bleedin' Luck.

You'll have to excuse me if I come across a tick frustrated here, as I've been looking for 8 Years now for a replacement MERCURY truck Hood for my '58, No Joy! The "Wee Beastie's" original hood was crushed by a 250lb Hay Bail & all the Bondo is a tick much for me.

Col Flashman 07-05-2008 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Truxx1956 (Post 6316627)
Hey Donald, thanks for the link! I'll check it out when I get more time. I have plenty of time as of now. I was thinking of maybe someone would have a really rough Mercury tailgate that I could cut off the letters? If nothing else, I may just have the letters painted on?

Just a thought:rolleyes:

1st off, the the Letters on the Tailgate are the Incorrect size & would not work.:confused:

2nd off, w/ my previous post hopefully having been read by you, I'd have to come find you if you & have a Good Talking w/ you IF you even Attempted to Cut-Up an Original MERCURY Tailgate.:-duel1 }> :-X02

For one thing it would Not work, as the MERCURY Letters are Stamped Inwards.
In other words Indented & flipping them over so they'd Lay Flat, which would Only make them read Backwards.

AXracer 07-05-2008 11:31 AM

Col just for clarification the letters on the rear doors of a panel are stamped into the skin like a tailgate, not added on. I have no idea if the tailgate letters are the same size as the door letter, I guess you could cut them apart and install each separately, but that would be a tremendous amount of work to keep flat. When they "overhauled" Foose's pickup they had a panel made with FOOSE stamped into it for the tailgate. One of the people that worked on the truck said they spent almost as much time in getting that panel straight and flat as they did building all the rest of the truck.
A good airbrush artist could paint them on a flat panel with shading that would make them look 3-D from a few feet away.

Col Flashman 07-05-2008 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by AXracer (Post 6317806)
Col just for clarification the letters on the rear doors of a panel are stamped into the skin like a tailgate, not added on. I have no idea if the tailgate letters are the same size as the door letter, I guess you could cut them apart and install each separately, but that would be a tremendous amount of work to keep flat. When they "overhauled" Foose's pickup they had a panel made with FOOSE stamped into it for the tailgate. One of the people that worked on the truck said they spent almost as much time in getting that panel straight and flat as they did building all the rest of the truck.
A good airbrush artist could paint them on a flat panel with shading that would make them look 3-D from a few feet away.

You'll have to excuse me, AX, but do you own one or have you Ever Closely examined a '56 MERCURY Panel Trucks Rear Doors? I have.
All the Ones I've seen are Just the Same as my a '58 Mercury Panel Truck.
The MERCURY letters on the Rear Doors are placed Into Holes Drilled/Punched Into them & Held In Place By Clips.
The '56 MERCURY letters Stamped into the Tailgates I've seen are Larger then the MERCURY letters added onto the Rear Doors of the Panel trucks.

AXracer 07-05-2008 12:14 PM

Sorry, no I haven't looked at one, I just assumed they would have done it the same way they did the Ford letters on the panel rear doors. Mea culpa!
In that case the replacement would be a bit easier, one could cut or sand cast a new set out of bronze, polish them and have them chromed.