Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Washington Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum188/)
-   -   WAFTE - Folding@Home (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/753706-wafte-folding-home.html)

Placermike 06-27-2008 03:39 PM

WAFTE - Folding@Home

Hey All, we could use your help. WAFTE proudly helps support protein folding research.

What is protein folding and how is folding linked to disease?
Proteins are biology's workhorses -- its "nanomachines." Before proteins can carry out these important functions, they assemble themselves, or "fold." The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology, in many ways remains a mystery.
Moreover, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there can be serious consequences, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers and cancer-related syndromes.
You can help by simply running a piece of software.
Folding@home is a distributed computing project -- people from throughout the world download and run software to band together to make one of the largest supercomputers in the world. Every computer takes the project closer to our goals. Folding@home uses novel computational methods coupled to distributed computing, to simulate problems millions of times more challenging than previously achieved.

Currently our team is ranked 17377 out of 128357 teams world wide. We have many new members since I started the team. We can do quite a bit more.

If you want to assist, you will have to download some software that runs in the background of your computer. You can find the download and more information at Folding@home - Download the Folding@home software application

Remember to use 65446 as the team number when you set up the software. This will ensure that WAFTE members are acknowledged in the support of this very important research.:-jammin

Snowbunny 06-27-2008 03:44 PM

Still folding away, Mike!!!

Placermike 06-27-2008 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Snowbunny (Post 6292351)
Still folding away, Mike!!!

24/7...John is also, still making stats for the team

Snowbunny 06-27-2008 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Placermike (Post 6292359)
24/7...John is also, still making stats for the team

Is he?? I didn't see his name on the list. I sure wish we could get in touch with him!!

Placermike 06-27-2008 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Snowbunny (Post 6292397)
Is he?? I didn't see his name on the list. I sure wish we could get in touch with him!!

Look at team 65446. I also would like to hear from him. He definately helped make FTE fun, even when he got in trouble with the mods, or should I say especially when he got in trouble!...LMFAO

Snowbunny 06-27-2008 04:13 PM

Yes!!! Especially when he got into trouble!!! I hope they are both doing well!! Emily was a kick too!!!

Placermike 06-27-2008 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Snowbunny (Post 6292439)
Yes!!! Especially when he got into trouble!!! I hope they are both doing well!! Emily was a kick too!!!

Will we ever know if it was Emmy?

BabyBunny 06-27-2008 04:43 PM

Thanks for posting that Mike!! I've been looking for it for my comp. I'll download it tonight!

Snowbunny 06-27-2008 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Placermike (Post 6292475)
Will we ever know if it was Emmy?

Oh, I'm quite sure it was!! She helped me with my advanced calculus classes!!! Not to say John was incapable, mind you!!! He certainly surprised me more than once!!! Especially with that pic of him in Emm's dress and holding the pink axe!!! Ha! Ha!! Ha!! Which I still have btw!!!

Placermike 06-28-2008 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by BabyBunny (Post 6292546)
Thanks for posting that Mike!! I've been looking for it for my comp. I'll download it tonight!

Just remember team 65445 George!Oo.

Stay sweet!

Placermike 06-28-2008 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by Snowbunny (Post 6292599)
Oh, I'm quite sure it was!! She helped me with my advanced calculus classes!!! Not to say John was incapable, mind you!!! He certainly surprised me more than once!!! Especially with that pic of him in Emm's dress and holding the pink axe!!! Ha! Ha!! Ha!! Which I still have btw!!!

I thought he was pretty cute in front of the truck...lol

Placermike 06-28-2008 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Placermike (Post 6293965)
Just remember team 65445 George!Oo.

Stay sweet!

I was meaning to type 65446, but my fingers don't work well.

Cyruscosmo 06-30-2008 10:22 AM

Been folding on 3 computers for a couple years now :-tap