Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Small Block V8 (221, 260, 289, 5.0/302, 5.8/351W) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum55/)
-   -   5.0 EFI to Carb = vibration? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/752994-5-0-efi-to-carb-vibration.html)

Madmike33 07-06-2008 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by f_ford_custom (Post 6318364)
is it sluggish below 2000? around 3000? or everywhere? I ask because that 1405 is a rich carb, I got a neighbor with a 396, bigger cam, ported heads, longtube headers, and 6al ignition. even with all of this, she runs rich until about 4500. We changed it out for a 750 tuned for fuel economy and it really wakened up. You dont even smell fuel when it warms up now.

It runs rich, but surprisingly not too bad. I'm gonna run it as is a little but I'm considering re-jetting eventually anyways. I've noticed it isn't too sluggish, but capable of more I'm sure. I found it was slugish in the higher RPM's 3000 up, not lower so I doubt it's a rich situation causing it... we'll see I haven't run the truck enough. I'm taking it out for a 100 mile drive today (its first run this long since the swap) so we'll see.

I'm still in the tuning stages so....

Madmike33

gfw1985 07-07-2008 06:25 PM

Madmike33: My problem is solved. It was the wrong flywheel. Love what previous owners do. I bought the thing not running and with bad tranny. Time will tell how how much damage was done to bearings before the tranny crapped out. Good luck with yours.

Madmike33 07-08-2008 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by gfw1985 (Post 6325281)
Madmike33: My problem is solved. It was the wrong flywheel. Love what previous owners do. I bought the thing not running and with bad tranny. Time will tell how how much damage was done to bearings before the tranny crapped out. Good luck with yours.

Glad you worked out the problem, still looking at mine but it's not enough mess with my head, I'm still getting some of the truck together. Seeing as this motor wasn't meant for a Ranger there's a lot of little things here and there, like I'm making a rad shroud for it seeing that it runs about 10 degrees too warm without one.. anyways I'll post back when I have some news.

Madmike33

f_ford_custom 07-13-2008 06:25 PM

have you played with the timing? I'd try backing it off a little, see if it helps. Maybe advance, but sounds kinda like a few degrees into spark knock, since HP spark curves pull off about 3000. have you put on a timing light at 3500? should be about 32-36 deg advanced.

Madmike33 07-14-2008 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by f_ford_custom (Post 6344732)
have you played with the timing? I'd try backing it off a little, see if it helps. Maybe advance, but sounds kinda like a few degrees into spark knock, since HP spark curves pull off about 3000. have you put on a timing light at 3500? should be about 32-36 deg advanced.

No I haven't put a light on it in a bit. I'm going to soon, I like the way you think.... I'm still not sure how to fit a light yet, the motor fits so tight up to everything that I think I might have to move the battery over for timing. Also I probably have to try looking for possible timing leaks... it might be affecting vacuum advance. Do you know anything about dizzy spring changes??? My Pertronix came with different springs to change the timing curve.

Madmike33

f_ford_custom 07-14-2008 06:55 PM

The instructions will give you step-by-step instructions, but basicly just take off the dizzy cap/rotor, and the springs are right there on top. The insrtuctions will also tell what colors will come in where and when they'll be at full advance. Your kit probably came with an allen wrench if you've got adjustable vacuum advance.

Madmike33 07-15-2008 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by f_ford_custom (Post 6348174)
The instructions will give you step-by-step instructions, but basicly just take off the dizzy cap/rotor, and the springs are right there on top. The insrtuctions will also tell what colors will come in where and when they'll be at full advance. Your kit probably came with an allen wrench if you've got adjustable vacuum advance.

Thanx I'll have to try and find the instructions online cause my dizzy box was missing the instructions... to be continued

Madmike33