Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Flathead V8 & Flathead 6 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum57/)
-   -   Help crack in the block (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/752920-help-crack-in-the-block.html)

ssj7kids 06-24-2008 02:53 PM

Help crack in the block

We pulled my 53 flathead 8 out of the tank today and discovered a crack between the water jacked and one of the head bolt holes. Is this a problem? My re-build guy says he has gotten conflicting answers...
I'm thinking as long as the bolt can torque the head down then there shouldn't be any water problem? He suggested using a stud with sealer on this particular hole. He felt that would work, but suggested we ask the experts here.

Thanks in advance.

Snowking 06-25-2008 12:48 AM

I don't think thats a problem, not unless the crack exceeds to a cylinder wall. When you bolt on the heads use thread sealant.

No that's not a problem because each bolt that holds down the heads IS A PART of the water jacket.

fixnair 06-26-2008 12:08 AM

My engine shop, which has extensive experience with flatheads, advised me to helicoil my two cracked bolt holes and use a sealant on the threads. He says they have done that for years with success.

Good luck with it

Ego Flat 48 06-26-2008 08:32 AM

ssj7kids;
You and I seem to be at the same stage of the game on our engines. I have a '49 239 and also have what looks like two cracks, one on each side at the same location. I pulled the heads off and was doing perfect until my wife came out and starting swimming in the nude. Needless to say, I was distracted...Whats your next step? I don't know if I should put new pistons and rings or not. TTYL. Ralph

55 f350 07-01-2008 11:12 AM

ask number dummy those cracks are so common they have a part no . or so i'm told !:)

petey shoes 07-03-2008 03:06 PM

yeah, it's so common it's almost like cracks were part of the manufacturing process!!! any GOOD machine shop should be able to fix this if not TOO severe!

rcav8or 07-07-2008 12:16 PM

I wouldn't even bother to try to fix them - virtually every block has them. You could possibly make things worse, by attempting to repair - it has actually relieved a little bit of stress there, plus, because of where it is, it doesn't affect anything. The only thing I've found, is that since it can allow water to get in the bottom of the stud hole, that stud or bolt can be VERY hard to get out...my studs broke both sides, and they were the only ones that broke - the rest came out fairly easily.

I wouldn't worry about it. I know it goes against our nature, but it's ok...really it is....

R

rcav8or 07-07-2008 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Ego Flat 48 (Post 6287919)
ssj7kids;
You and I seem to be at the same stage of the game on our engines. I have a '49 239 and also have what looks like two cracks, one on each side at the same location. I pulled the heads off and was doing perfect until my wife came out and starting swimming in the nude. Needless to say, I was distracted...Whats your next step? I don't know if I should put new pistons and rings or not. TTYL. Ralph

Ralph - what's your address, and do you have a tall fence??!!??

Ha, ha!!

Seriously, sounds like a great time for a "break"...

R