Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Something Broke, HELP! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/749901-something-broke-help.html)

zx250 06-12-2008 07:07 AM

Something Broke, HELP!

On the way home from work this morning, after merging into 65mph traffic, I looked back to see a huge cloud of white smoke. It was coming out of my exhaust and only got worse as I came home. Took it easy and watched all my gauges. Got home fine, but left a huge white cloud of smoke. No smoke under the hood, no smoke from oil fill, boost seemed ok but I didn't get on it. Coolant seemed full with no oil. Smoke smelled like pure oil and looked like oil dripping out of the exhaust. Need help deciding where to start looking. Engine seemed to be running ok, no missing that I could tell. Looks to be all oil related and a bunch of it. I'm thinking injector tip, but would like you advice before I tear into it. Thanks guys.

miller_feed 06-12-2008 07:20 AM

WOW, Barry. I have no idea what is wrong but I sure hope it is not too bad. That would scare the heck out of me to see that smoke coming out of my truck.

I will be watching and pulling for you.

F350-6 06-12-2008 07:34 AM

Sorry to hear that Barry. How much oil did you use and how quick? Maybe injector O-rings? You might also double check your fuel filter bowl and make sure the fuel is clean and not stained with oil.

zx250 06-12-2008 08:02 AM

Looks like about 2 1/2 qts in 8 miles, it was really pumping it out. I am hoping it is just an injector failure of some sort.

Kwikkordead 06-12-2008 08:02 AM

Blown turbo.
Smooth idle = injectors still ok.

That_Guy 06-12-2008 08:06 AM

With a blown turbo wouldnt you lose boost?

zx250 06-12-2008 08:10 AM

I heard the turbo spool down when I shut it off. I didn't push it but was still make 5-10lbs of boost. Are you thinking oil from turbo itself? Hadn't thought of that. How can I check that?

zx250 06-12-2008 08:15 AM

I heard the turbo spool down when I shut it off. I didn't push it but was still make 5-10lbs of boost. Are you thinking oil from turbo itself? Hadn't thought of that. How can I check that?

F350-6 06-12-2008 09:26 AM

Turbocharger Internal Oil Leak Test

NOTE: Some engine oil may be present in the turbocharger compressor inlet and in the air inlet components due to the crankcase breather system.

Check the turbocharger compressor inlet for evidence of oil. If excessive oil is present, this indicates that the failure is in the engine, not in the turbocharger; for additional information, refer to the Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) manual.

Check the turbocharger turbine outlet for evidence of oil. If oil is present in the outlet, remove the turbocharger from the engine and examine the oil supply and return passages in the turbocharger pedestal and engine block for restriction. If no restriction is found, replace the turbocharger.

zx250 06-12-2008 09:28 AM

Man, the one time I need help and he site is ssoooo slow for me. I hope it back cause I still need a starting place.

orng1 06-12-2008 09:39 AM

It's actuallky possible for a turbo to leak oil and make boost, I've seen it more times than I should. And the more boost it makes the more it smokes. Good luck finding out what it is, I kniow it'd scare me too.

zx250 06-12-2008 09:42 AM

Thanks Chris, forum seems to be back. I just cranked it again and no smoke at idle. Gave it some fuel and it was back in full force. Can't search, seems down now. Oil dripping out of tailpipe. Idles good and maybe even quiter than usual. I think Kwik is dead on. I'll go pull the intake hose and look for oil there, then probably get on the phone looking for a new turbo.

zx250 06-12-2008 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by orng1 (Post 6248621)
It's actuallky possible for a turbo to leak oil and make boost, I've seen it more times than I should. And the more boost it makes the more it smokes. Good luck finding out what it is, I kniow it'd scare me too.

Is it possible the turbo is not hurt?

F350-6 06-12-2008 09:58 AM

I would think an O-ring would leak out at the pedestal, so unless there's an obstruction in the oil return line I'd think Dan called this one early on.

miller_feed 06-12-2008 10:04 AM

Chris has some good info up there. I would go ahead and pull the turbo and see if it is the turbo or pedestal. This would be a good excuse to upgrade the turbo and pedestal. }> But I guess you could still have an injector problem. Humm.