Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Competition (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum187/)
-   -   what to do next (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/749024-what-to-do-next.html)

texans 06-09-2008 10:51 AM

what to do next

I have a 2006 F-250 2x4 with the 6.0. So far I have put on the Bully Dog tripple dog w/outlook moniter (I know the SCT is supposed supposed to be better, but I got a good deal on the bully dog), Banks Ram-Air intake, and I have orderd 5" MRBP exhaust the one w/o the cat (hasnt came in yet, Cant wait). What should I do next. I was thiking Banks techni-cool intercooler, but I dont know. Should I do head studs before I go any futher, or should I do someother performance mod. Also my EGR is unpluged, My EGT's run around 1442 deg or so with the peadle to the floor. The bully dog kept defueling so I raised the limit to 1500 deg. Is this Ok? Is there something else I can do to get the EGT's down, or should the exhaust take care of the high EGT? I know that this is alot of questions, but I dont know much about diesel performance, and you guys are the best.:-X25. as always thanks for your input.
Scotty

texans 06-10-2008 11:47 AM

anyone have a suggestion.

Tim Shultz 06-16-2008 07:23 PM

ok, I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure your EGT are a WEEEEE bit high.. keep that temp up for long ya' might have a swiss cheese piston..

TXstroker01 06-30-2008 10:28 AM

If it were me, I would ditch the Bully Dog and go with some "custom" tuning. You'll be surprised at the performance difference you'll get out of something like a DP Tuner (Jody Tipton) over those name-brand options (Edge, Bully Dog, Banks, etc.).

As far as EGTs go, it's a combination of heat and time that will cause you problems. Conventional wisdom says that you can run at 1250 degrees all day long without a problem, but once you see sustained temps in excess of 1300 damage can occur. With that being said, I bury my pyro in a 1/4 mile run. Having the temps in the 1600+ range for a matter of a few seconds won't cause any damage. Standing on the throttle while towing and seeing sustained temps over 1300 is a no-no.

I would also add some in-cab gauges (boost and pyro at the least, and tranny temp if you have an auto). The factory boost/tranny temp gauges aren't that accurate, from what I gather.

If you want to make more power that tuning alone will give you, I would go with injectors next. This will require the proper supporting mods including studs and tranny upgrades. Do you have an auto or manual?

texans 07-01-2008 07:47 PM

I have an auto. the 5" exhaust sounds awesome and help alot with egt's. when Im towing my trailer it stays around 750-850 at 75 mph. it will still get up to around 1450 or so if I hammer on it and stay on it for awhile. My bullydog shows trans temp and I have a factory boost gauge. I guess I can look into getting after market gauges. I think Im eventually get an sct tunner, but for now im going to go with arp head studs and bigger trans pan.