Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Ford Motor Co. Lemon buy back. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/748223-ford-motor-co-lemon-buy-back.html)

crmarshall 06-05-2008 08:11 PM

Ford Motor Co. Lemon buy back.

I bought a 2003 F250 SD a couple of months ago. I got a really good deal on it and it looked immaculate. I thought it might have been repainted so I had a couple of body shops check it out and all said they couldn't see any signs of body work. I have had this gut feeling that something just isn't right but I can't put my finger on it. I had the Oasis report pulled and it did have a few problems. Most were insignigicant ( door rattles and what not). Today I noticed a sticker below the driver's side door sill that stated it was a Ford Motor Co. Lemon law buy back. This sucks!!!!!! It does have the 6.0 PSD and I know they had injector issues. Does anyone know if that could be the cause of the buy back? Also, does anyone know if there is a place to find out the cause of the buy back, perhaps Ford Motor Co? Any input is greatly appreciated.

A. Michael Foxtrot 06-05-2008 08:33 PM

If there were injector issues, I'd imagine that it'd be on the OASIS.

F350-6 06-05-2008 08:39 PM

Where did you get the OASIS? For it to be a lemon law buyback it would have had to be repeatedly taken into Ford, which should all be on the OASIS. If for some reason you got the OASIS from whoever sold the truck to you:-huh you can go down to the 6.0 section here and request an OASIS from one of our members to see how the reports compare. There's a sticky at the top of the 6.0 section for the requests.

pagnew 06-05-2008 09:43 PM

If the truck drives good and all is well no need to worry for anything yet. Some folks tend to 'freak' on minor stuff sometimes and maybe that may be the cause for someone discouraged and causing the 'lemon' issue. It may have been solved so....no need to panic. As mentioned the OASIS would give you all the details. Hopin' all works out.....

bronk68 06-05-2008 10:12 PM

They should have had to tell you it was a re-aquired vehicle RAV unless you bought it private sale.

crmarshall 06-05-2008 10:22 PM

I haven't had any issues yet but I've only put 3k miles on it so far. I got the Oasis from a member on the 6.0 forum. The biggest thing on the report was in 11-07 it died and wouldn't start. The PO had to have it towed to the dealership. Maybe that was the straw that broke the camels back. Not sure. At any rate, it may just be a good excuse to the Mrs. to upgrade to an 05 with the front coils.

bronk68 06-05-2008 10:50 PM

I went through a lot with my 04, enough were I could have lemon lawed on two different problems. I didn't but they usually figure it out. Mine was a wiring harness issue on the engine and then the trans. reverse planetary gear. In the shop over 50 yes 50 business days but they got it finally...

MarkHB 06-05-2008 11:07 PM

I lemon lawed an 06 F350 dually. The injectors continually shut the engine down and would not restart. The 1st time in the dealer was for 30 days and that was 1 month after I purchased it new. 3 more times it broke down and had to be towed to a dealer. The last time it shutdown out in the middle of the desert with my boat in tow. That was the last time.

Mark

F350-6 06-06-2008 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by crmarshall (Post 6230326)
I haven't had any issues yet but I've only put 3k miles on it so far. I got the Oasis from a member on the 6.0 forum. The biggest thing on the report was in 11-07 it died and wouldn't start. The PO had to have it towed to the dealership. Maybe that was the straw that broke the camels back. Not sure. At any rate, it may just be a good excuse to the Mrs. to upgrade to an 05 with the front coils.

Wrong! If I were you, I'd come up with a bigger list than just coils before you present it to the Mrs. Spend some time browsing the 6.0 forum and decide what kind of mods you want, then present the list and say this is what I need to do to make sure we don't have any issues.8D

crmarshall 06-07-2008 11:08 PM

Bronc, thanks for the heads up. I looked up Utah law and they were required to notify me, which they didn't. So Monday morning it's going back to the dealer. Not so much because it's a bad truck but because of the hit I would take when I go to sell it. One thing working in my favor is that everyone is trading their diesels in for economy cars. That lowers the price on a lot of good lookin trucks that were out of my price range just 6 months ago when I started looking and purchased the "lemon". Funny how some people will trade a good truck for a "gas sipper" and loose several thousand dollars to save fuel. Hello, even at $4.80 a gallon, that's a lot of fuel.

FORDSDOWNER 06-08-2008 10:37 AM

I'd still think that the Oasis would be fat with repair events. How else would Ford determine what was worth lemoning?

caprang 06-08-2008 10:42 PM

Lemon law can be a number of different causes and it also varies by state. Most people think it has to be in for the same problem a bunch of times and yes that is 1 reason for lemon law. Another is being without use of the truck for 30+ days (cummulative), can also be ANY failure that is a safety issue (losing an injector while towing a trailer is a serious safety issue) or anything that impairs the value of the vehicle (this one can be a gray area). Some states say 3 or more repairs for the same failure, some states 3 or more repairs for any failure.

All states, all manufacturers are required to disclose that it is a reacquired vehicle and they are supposed to have you sign a document stating that you are aware of that. Obviously in your case they did not and they are required to take the vehicle back. Additionally your title should be stamped with something indicating that it is a buy back but if you financed the vehicle there is a good chance that you never even saw the title.

rollerstud98 06-09-2008 12:03 AM

I hope you didn't sign papers stating that it was a lemon buy back without knowing that was what you were signing

crmarshall 03-19-2012 01:44 AM

Thougth I would update this. It was a lemon buy back, the oasis wasn't that thick but did show several attempts to repair a popping noise in the front end and an injector issue. The dealer was a small lot and never had me sign a paper stating it was a buy back. He claimed he didn't know. It is on the title in 1" letters. He was a liar. I told him he could knock $10k off and I would keep it or he could refund my money and have the truck back. He decided he could sell if for way more than I was offering. Problem was he didn't have the cash to refund my purchase price. We agreed on 4 installment then I would return the truck. Well 1rst payment was on time, second was 2 weeks late, when the third was a month late I decided it wasn't coming. I talked to my dad and he decided he might want it for a good price since he drived trucks into the ground the resale wasn't an issue for him. I called the dealer and told him I had a buyer and if he was ok with it we would just call it square. He agreed. My dad got a 2004 in 2008 with 73K miles on it for $10,000. It has since been the best PSD I have ever seen. It runs great, pulls great, is quieter and gets better mileage than any other PSD in our family or social circle. I really wish I would have kept it.

Quad Racer 03-19-2012 05:22 AM

Glad there was a happy ending.