Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1961 - 1963 F100 Unibody (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum267/)
-   -   1963 Ford truck suspension (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/747962-1963-ford-truck-suspension.html)

Oldnslofly 06-04-2008 09:25 PM

1963 Ford truck suspension

I am currently thinking of upgrading the suspension on the front of my 63 ford truck. I know Fatmans fabrications makes a kit for this and was wondering if any one here has any knowledge about this subject. I also will probably be adding a 302v8 to the setup.

I have no desire in keeping the truck original. I know this breaks the hearts of some of you out there but this is a project that my 15 year old daughter and I will be undertaking together as she will be the driver.

ddavidv 06-05-2008 05:38 AM

Give the search function a try. There are probably several hundred threads on this very subject already.
If the Fatman is based on Mustang II parts, it's not recommended. Too light duty. Better choices are Dodge Dakota, Dodge Diplomat or Ford Aerostar. You can also sit the body on a Crown Vic frame but that's a different kind of fabrication job.
Search this section for those choices and you'll get results.

pro1963 06-05-2008 07:18 AM

what do you wanna do keep it stock height or lower it?

Oldnslofly 06-05-2008 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by ddavidv (Post 6227441)
Give the search function a try. There are probably several hundred threads on this very subject already.
If the Fatman is based on Mustang II parts, it's not recommended. Too light duty. Better choices are Dodge Dakota, Dodge Diplomat or Ford Aerostar. You can also sit the body on a Crown Vic frame but that's a different kind of fabrication job.
Search this section for those choices and you'll get results.

Its based Mustang II IN DESIGN... BUT NOT BY PARTS everything is tubed A arms ( stainless steel) and heavy duty stuff. Brakes would be 11". I am not planing on hauling any thing after project is completed it would transportation and for cruising... if we can afford to buy fuel by the time it is completed. I also tried the search function and only found 1 other thread directly pertaining to this subject

Oldnslofly 06-05-2008 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by pro1963 (Post 6227572)
what do you wanna do keep it stock height or lower it?

Stock height would be fine but I do not really care to lower it unless I have to

nmidthune 06-05-2008 05:53 PM

Not sure if the link will work but check out the 67-72 forum. A front end from a 03-07 may bolt into your truck with only slight modification. It appears it will drop the front about 5 inches. Its a neat idea and great thread.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...o-67-f100.html

Nick

pro1963 06-05-2008 06:11 PM

Vintage Ford in sacramento CA has a IFS kits you might wanna check it out Vintage Ford.com they make parts for 1948-1966 ford trucks.

matt2491 06-05-2008 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Oldnslofly (Post 6229005)
Stock height would be fine but I do not really care to lower it unless I have to

Yes!!! Rocking the stock height is a sweet way to go. You don't have to lower or jack up your truck to prove that its custom and you spent a lot of time and effort on it!

Can't wait to see some pics. :)

nmidthune 06-05-2008 09:09 PM

Forgot to mention that its a 03-07 crown vic front end.

663006 06-16-2008 05:15 AM

i am doin the crown vic suspension upgrade on my 66 shorty. i read the thread and man i just could not resist this i here they ride like a dream. i can't wait to finish it. will be running a 5.0 aod in this truck.

garbz2 06-16-2008 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by 663006 (Post 6258657)
i am doin the crown vic suspension upgrade on my 66 shorty. i read the thread and man i just could not resist this i here they ride like a dream. i can't wait to finish it. will be running a 5.0 aod in this truck.

They ride like a dream.... Name one person on this site who has one installed and operational for any appreciable miles or performance testing...

Garbz

663006 06-17-2008 04:55 AM

read this thread and it might enlighten you a bit. google this (buildup 06 crown vic front suspension in 67 f100). there are a couple of guys on here that have done it and swear by it.

LM14 06-17-2008 05:24 PM

I thought about it but the track width is all wrong. It's waaaayyyy too wide and you have to run big wheels with goofy offsets to make it fit under the fenders. If you want to run "hot wheels" looking tires and wheels than it will work. If you want to run tires that have sidewalls and actually look like they belong on the truck, no way.

Still shopping here,
SPark

nmidthune 06-17-2008 08:38 PM

I was wondering how track width is measured? I am thinking that it is the outside of one tire to the outside of the other. I really have no idea.

Nick

garbz2 06-17-2008 09:08 PM

I have read all the pages, Enlightment i do not need. A stock 63 Slick is a 60" track. CVs are at 68". A lot of people are following this thread in the suspension world. If it was a correct track width and geometery unit for a truck everyone would be touting the horns and it would be catz azz.... and creating an aftermarket for big brakes, drop spindles and the like.. There is ZERO aftermarket support out there for the CV.. its a luxo barge cop car suspension.....if you install one you are stuck at what ever height it is installed at with almost no adjustability.

And none of the posted trucks are operational in any real world enviorment, IE driven like they are stolen. Show me one that is cornering, drag racing, or doing any real world testing.

663006 go get us the Utube evidence....

If i wanted a truck that looks like a 88 up GM i would buy one....

If the track width was narrower it would be a simple answer.

Garbz