Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2009 - 2014 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum193/)
-   -   Fords going downhill (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/747808-fords-going-downhill.html)

Fosters 06-05-2008 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by LxMan1 (Post 6228526)
Truck sales may also be down because they last alot longer than they used to. There is no need to upgrade every few years. Why have a payment when you can use that money to pay for the high fuel prices.

my 87 had 229k miles on it and ran fine... if I was to not need a bigger bed, my 04 would be getting there and past... I can't count the number of mod motors with 150k miles i've seen that opened up still look brand new inside, with cross hatching on the cylinder walls still visible :)

BLK94F150 06-05-2008 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Fosters (Post 6228498)
You and I have different opinions on what's "fun" to drive I guess.

And not compared to a full size truck, why on earth would I compare a car with a truck? compared to other similar sedans. Compare the imprezza with a focus or corolla or another compact sedan, and tell me the subie gets good mpg...

I like driving a slightly lifted truck w/ big meats under it. I like being able to pull coworkers out of snow banks created by the snow plows coming by. I like being able to get out of my driveway when there's a foot of snow without having to bust out the shovel. I like being able to go camping with my truck (I'd love to see a smart on a forest trail...). I always have the right of way at a 4 way stop... I don't see Civic owners disagreeing with me often }>

guess it comes down to opinion.

Each is fun in it's element. The wife's Solara convertible is much more fun to drive on the pavement and on nice days with the top down. The truck is fun in the dirt.

I do notice more A-holes tailgating me in the Solara though, especially in trucks and SUVs. A quick brake check puts them in line. What's the worst they will do, hit me?

Mike

YoGeorge 06-05-2008 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Fosters (Post 6228498)
You and I have different opinions on what's "fun" to drive I guess.

And not compared to a full size truck, why on earth would I compare a car with a truck? compared to other similar sedans. Compare the imprezza with a focus or corolla or another compact sedan, and tell me the subie gets good mpg...

I like driving a slightly lifted truck w/ big meats under it. I like being able to pull coworkers out of snow banks created by the snow plows coming by. I like being able to get out of my driveway when there's a foot of snow without having to bust out the shovel. I like being able to go camping with my truck (I'd love to see a smart on a forest trail...). I always have the right of way at a 4 way stop... I don't see Civic owners disagreeing with me often }>

guess it comes down to opinion.

The thread started out talking about people giving up big trucks for cars, so that's why I'm comparing cars with trucks.

As for your big, meaty truck, enjoy it, but add up the gas costs. Nobody said the alternative was a Smart car for forest trails, but something like a 4WD Escape or a Subaru would be fine in most every situation involving campground roads.

I'll bet you could count the people you've "heroically" pulled out of snow banks on one hand, and too bad if you have to get a snow shovel out. Someday you should do the math and see how much it costs you to be a big macho hero....

Your last comment shows that you have your truck to offset your other feelings of inadequacy, and to be a macho bully--which is likely the part that you think is "fun." Right of way belongs to the person who legally has it, not to the dumbest guy in the biggest truck...

Fosters 06-05-2008 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by YoGeorge (Post 6228580)
The thread started out talking about people giving up big trucks for cars, so that's why I'm comparing cars with trucks.

As for your big, meaty truck, enjoy it, but add up the gas costs. Nobody said the alternative was a Smart car for forest trails, but something like a 4WD Escape or a Subaru would be fine in most every situation involving campground roads.

I'll bet you could count the people you've "heroically" pulled out of snow banks on one hand, and too bad if you have to get a snow shovel out. Someday you should do the math and see how much it costs you to be a big macho hero....

Your last comment shows that you have your truck to offset your other feelings of inadequacy, and to be a macho bully--which is likely the part that you think is "fun." Right of way belongs to the person who legally has it, not to the dumbest guy in the biggest truck...

yep, you got it so right, you should open up one of those mind reading over the internet sites.

as for the calculation on the gas costs; I did that, a long time ago. Gas is 2.7% of my expenses, up from 2.2% same time last year. hence why i'm not the one complaining when gas went up 20-30% in price. Maybe you should have done your budgeting a bit better, bought a more economical vehicle to begin with, and not sign up at all for this message board.

supeRobertduty 06-05-2008 02:14 PM

FORD beats us over the Head with the Idea that there truck is the best besause it's the #1 in sales.

Is there anybody out there (besides Ford) that thinks the #1 selling vehicle for 2009 will be a V-8 auto F150 Gas Hog ?

How could they sell this to the Big Bucker's at the top ?

Fosters 06-05-2008 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by supeRobertduty (Post 6228659)
Is there anybody out there (besides Ford) that thinks the #1 selling vehicle for 2009 will be a V-8 auto F150 Gas Hog ?

Nope, not with a whopping 320hp and 390tq. :-X18

tjthegreat 06-05-2008 03:02 PM

the problem is is that its way too dam big,there is no reason mpgs shouldnt be improving,in my expiriences the 5.4 hasnt done better on gas than the 351 did even tho its a smaller engine,if they could get 3-4 mpgs im sure there would be a few more people in line for a new f150

V8EXPLR 06-05-2008 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by tjthegreat (Post 6228791)
if they could get 3-4 mpgs im sure there would be a few more people in line for a new f150

I feel the same way and believe this is the majorities point of view. There is that minority though that feels a bigger more powerful engine is needed to increase sales. I say give me them both and I'll be extremely happy, if I can only have one, give me the mpgs. With fuel prices, it's all about mpgs.

tjthegreat 06-05-2008 06:34 PM

i agree,but thats when people start bitchin about how ford doesnt offer enough options,in a way that true,they got rid of the v6(which ive never heard anything great about them)and from my expirience the 4.6 only get maybe 2-3 mpgs,and then people whine about how trucks arent supposed to get good mpgs.

wire4money 06-05-2008 07:28 PM

I think it's funny that the same people who complain about gas prices are the ones passing me at 80 on the highway. Slowing down from 65 to the 55 speed limit netted me 2 more MPG in my work van.

tjthegreat 06-05-2008 08:02 PM

funny thing is a lot of the time you end up right behind him at a stoplight

LxMan1 06-05-2008 11:40 PM

Hopefully the 6-speed auto will make the engine work in it's most efficient power range and increase mileage.

tseekins 06-06-2008 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by LxMan1 (Post 6230566)
Hopefully the 6-speed auto will make the engine work in it's most efficient power range and increase mileage.

Just ask anyone with a 5.4L six spd Expy. I rented an '07 4x4 as mine is a 4x2 and made a 2k round trip pulling a tandem trailer half way and I was marveled at the performance and mpgs.

I'm convinced that the 4.6L 3V mated to the 6 spd will be more than adequate to get our groceries, pull a small trailer and bust some new snow trails.

Tim

V8EXPLR 06-06-2008 10:04 AM

Ford is limiting options, but think this both a wise and bad business decision. Consumers always like tons of options and why it is bad, but is could be a cost cutting move by Ford to better its financial situation, which is good. So Ford's gotta weigh its options.

True the V6 won't be offered for '09 models, but hopefully the rumored 3.5L EcoBoost hits the '10 model.

I hear ya on the people running at 80mph complaining, see it all the time, heck even my wife does it. I'm not one, as most people that ride with me consider me to drive slow (max of 5 over the posted speed limit).

No doubt the 6spd will increase mpgs and keep the truck in it's powerband better. Now how significant of an increase we'll just have to wait & see. Just guessing, but I'd say may 2-3 mpgs both city/hwy. Now some may not see that difference, being they'll feel the need to use all of the the upped hp/lb-ft.

excaliber551 06-06-2008 10:45 AM

2-3 mpg's is pushing it. The engine itself will offer no mpg increase by itself and the new tranny is said to offer .5-1 mpg at best.

Originally Posted by V8EXPLR (Post 6231357)
Ford is limiting options, but think this both a wise and bad business decision. Consumers always like tons of options and why it is bad, but is could be a cost cutting move by Ford to better its financial situation, which is good. So Ford's gotta weigh its options.

True the V6 won't be offered for '09 models, but hopefully the rumored 3.5L EcoBoost hits the '10 model.

I hear ya on the people running at 80mph complaining, see it all the time, heck even my wife does it. I'm not one, as most people that ride with me consider me to drive slow (max of 5 over the posted speed limit).

No doubt the 6spd will increase mpgs and keep the truck in it's powerband better. Now how significant of an increase we'll just have to wait & see. Just guessing, but I'd say may 2-3 mpgs both city/hwy. Now some may not see that difference, being they'll feel the need to use all of the the upped hp/lb-ft.