Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   53 f100 steering (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/743942-53-f100-steering.html)

russpayne01 05-21-2008 09:36 PM

53 f100 steering

I see plenty of opportunities to spend big bucks buying IFS from a lot of people. I see even sticking a Toyota Power steering pump in there, but that seems so wrong on so many levels. I read too about putting a "f350 or bigger" steering box in, but never does it give a year or part number.
I've looked at the rebuilt boxes, and think $500 to $600 is steep. I realize there is ahuge amount of specialized labor that goes into rebuilding it, and that rebuilding on you own is only possible with welding experience and alot of talent.
I would like to think that the original standard steering box was not so unique that some other year and model ford could be used. Anyone else have these thoughts? Anyone have experience taking a 19XX Ford XXXXX and using it sucessfully in an Effie? Without having to cut and burn the ol girl?
Does a Mustang II ( Pinto ) manual rack and pinion actually bolt right in? Isn't there an off the shelf generic Ford Replacement Steering Box? Do I think too simply?:-huh

havi 05-21-2008 09:56 PM

Russ, most Fords I know of have the steering box sector shaft in a vertical position, and not horizontal like the F1. There certainly could be one out there, though. IIRC, it was No-Limit-Engineering that has the straight axle R&P steering available aftermarket.

And welcome to FTE!

53lakeside 05-21-2008 10:27 PM

Hey
I've a 53 and I started with a standard steering box that only had about 8" of play in the wheel.Drive able not really.So I went looking for a rebuilder.Found a national retailer to rebuild it.It came back after 4 weeks and now it only had 3" of play in the wheel,at least they returned my money after telling me they could not fix it.I looked and looked and finally bit the bullet and installed power steering from CCP.Could not be happier.Wished I could have found someone to rebuild at a reasonible price,but I was quoted prices from C&G equal to power steering.Jeeze I live in Calif I thought someone could do it.Well my truck already arrived not stock so on I went " not stock":confused:Still love that 53 in fact today I'm having stock 302 manifolds and a new exhaust placed on her
Good luck on your ride

CharlieLed 05-21-2008 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by russpayne01 (Post 6180311)
Do I think too simply?:-huh

Not to dampen your enthusiasm, but in a word...yes. There's a reason that the traditional hot rod guys use the early F1/F100 steering and there's a reason that a single group of mid-80's Toyota 4WD trucks have been identified as donors. This steering configuration is unique. You can save yourself a lot of time and press the "I believe" button, or you can go to the "school of hard knocks", the choice is yours. Use the forum and read the tech articles...good luck!

packrat56 05-22-2008 12:25 PM

I bought one from Mid-Fifty (rebuilt stock box) and so far I am happy with it. It had a leaky adjuster screw that I had to modify, but was not worth pulling it back out... It's a lot of money, but kind of an important part!

Rich55 05-22-2008 02:41 PM

I went w/ the toyota power steering on my "55" straight axel, and I love it, last I checked I had $30 into the box, off of craigs list, bartered for the steel for the mount steel, $35 for the intermeidiate shaft (witch has the joint plus the vib. damper)made my own pitman arm,ect. ended up w/ $80 into the whole proj., bolts into the same mounting holes as the orig. box. I beleive 0n 2/24/08 ferguson777 had a great artical on the toyota steering,the forum I think was (51 f1 power steering options) started out by bnmsbronco, you'll injoy the artical

BaldExpDvr 05-22-2008 03:20 PM

I put a 60 or 61 F-100 recircalating ball steering box in my 56 F-100 about 35 years ago. Much better than the worm gear stock box. I also moved over the swing pedals and got turn signals also with the steering column. I took front end of the 56 drag link and welded it to the back end of the later model. The box moves the steering column over about 1 inch but for the cost I have lived with it all these years. Still tight as a drum. I also rigged up the shifter but have since put in a late model truck 4 speed behind my 351W.

russpayne01 05-22-2008 07:46 PM

Thank you Havi and Lakeside for the warm reception. I've been reading the forum for a few years, and just moved. Since I can't remember things well, and my old e-mail provider expired, I couldn't reset my password, so I've been born again. Lakeside - thanks for the experience story. Saves me that trouble. Charlie - I have read the multitude of cut and burn or non-ford ideas. That is why I came to the forum to ask if there was a non-destructive way to solve my dilemma. I see your opinion is that the only thing to do is Hot rod the thing, and that is not my goal. If that is the only way, can you tell me what that single group of 80's toyotas consist of, and if they are of a non-power steering type. Packrat Rich and BaldExpDvr - I like those Ideas and agree - steering is most important, and stopping is second.
Thanks again for the suggestions. I'm gonna look into that 60's solution, and see if the local speed demons can tell me about the Ford Pinto / Mustang II manual steering rack.

53OlderThanMe 05-22-2008 09:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
There was a good tech article on this but the tech indexes seem to be messed up I can't find it anymore. I have not installed yet but have the Toyota box not sure of the year but yes their is a manual version of the Toyota box that works as well, same year. Attached is a picture of the box so you can see what it looks like.

Rich55 05-23-2008 12:02 PM

1980-1984 toyota 4 wheel drive

russpayne01 05-23-2008 07:04 PM

Thanks Rich! Perfect. Thank you 53 nice pic!

russpayne01 06-28-2008 08:50 PM

It's probbaly not right to answer your own original thread, but I want update everyone.
I took a power washer to my suspension, and after all the crud, and mud, and grease was blown off the suspension, I found that the Spring hangar bushings and pins were nearly worn in half! I suspect that is a good reason the steering was a bit erratic!
Any way, I ordered replacements from Johnsf100.com It's been nearly a month, and still no parts. I 've been promised they would ship on Monday. We'll see. I also found out that Autozone actually can get some of these parts. So maybe my July 4th weekend, I'll be able to take the ol girl down and put some 4 dollar gas in her. I think the stuff in the tank is from the 1.89 era.. good thing the engine burns anything... Now to find a holley carb kit.
Thanks for the support guys!

Rich55 06-29-2008 01:25 PM

Russ,
Glad to see the project moving forword, good luck.
RICH