Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Y-Block V8 (239, 272, 292, 312, 317, 341, 368) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum56/)
-   -   Timing gear installation (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/74292-timing-gear-installation.html)

kyla64 11-10-2001 11:29 PM

Timing gear installation

Currently doing block up resto on my 64 292. iam haveing trouble finding instructions on how to properly install timing gears and chain so the timing marks line up. also having trouble finding resources for puting the distributer back in on the right place. does anybody know how to do this properly?

Mulletwagon 11-11-2001 05:36 PM

Timing gear installation

This is tricky and like no other engine. Facing the sprockets, the marks on both gears should be at the approximate 3 o'clock position. When so positioned, there should be exactly 12 timing chain pins between the marks. Strange but true !! Don't let this one bite you in the butt. This arrangement is true for all Y-Blocks. (and only Ys)
Good Luck

Rosati 11-11-2001 10:52 PM

Timing gear installation

>Currently doing block up resto on my 64 292. iam haveing
>trouble finding instructions on how to properly install
>timing gears and chain so the timing marks line up. also
>having trouble finding resources for puting the distributer
>back in on the right place. does anybody know how to do this
>properly?

Mullet wagon is right. The timing marks will not line up like your newer engines. Follow his advice and you'll be alright.
As far as the distributor, it isn't too dificult.
1. After installing the timing set, remove the #1 spark plug. This will be the front plug on the passengers side(1,2,3,4 drivers side is 5,6,7,8).
2. Place your finger over the hole while rotating the engine clockwise(I think) until you feel the air pushing your finger. Continue rotating until the timing marks on the damper lines up on TDC.
3. Place the cap on the distributor (the cap should have #1 marked). Mark the distributor and remove the cap.
4. Line up the rotor with your mark, drop in the distributor and note how far the rotor moves. Remove the distributor, turn the rotor in the oposite direction the same amount it moved when you installed the first time and stab it back in. The rotor should now be lined up with your mark and the distributor should be firmly seated.
Once your ready, restart the engine and adjust your timing as needed. Timing should be initially set at 6deg BTDC.

I hope this helps

Krosati

My friends say I'm too old to play with toys.
I need new friends

kyla64 11-11-2001 11:13 PM

Timing gear installation

thank you for the advice and instruction. i enjoy reading the post.
have you ever thought about a roll pan for your 66? is it? really styles up the back so the slow curve of the truck dont end up in a boxy looking bumper.

ivanhoe 66 11-15-2001 08:07 AM

Timing gear installation

hey for more info keep looking down the board i just put new timing gears and a chain in my 62 f700 with a 292 put the timinf marks a 2 0r 3 oclock on bolth gears 12 pins look for the ivanhoe 66 posts down the post you will get the info you need.

kyla64 11-16-2001 12:04 AM

Timing gear installation

thank you ivanhoe i will look into that. thanks to the rest for the info.

Mulletwagon 11-22-2001 10:29 AM

Timing gear installation