Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   did i hurt my truck? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/742641-did-i-hurt-my-truck.html)

ozzy460 05-17-2008 08:52 PM

did i hurt my truck?

i'm writing cause i'm retarded and stupid. and stubborn. went n a 200 mile trip today to pick up a truck i bought. got within 60 miles from home and herd a noise it was the vaccume pump. decided to see if i could make it cause no parts stores had one. wel got within 5 miles from home, pump sized, threw the belt, got hot, waited til it cooled drove till it got hot again, blew the radiator that time, waited till it got cool and ran it home, got hot again, till starts fine, not milky oil ,think i will have issues? head gasket,

Todd525 05-17-2008 10:07 PM

heat is number one issue with a motor. Good luck, I think your going to need it in the long run. My answer would be a definite yes. it never helps to run it hot, and you should never even try to limp without coolant. I am going to be nice on this, that wasnt very smart.

RubberDuck 05-18-2008 02:53 AM

Man, I really don't think that was a good idea ozzy. I would put it back together, pray on your hands and knee's to the powerstroke gods, and hope for the best. But if it were me, I would be looking for a spare motor on craigslist. Just my .02

maverick1701 05-18-2008 03:17 AM

You need to sacrifice a cummins to the powerstroke gods and beg for forgiveness

WALJON 05-18-2008 07:06 AM

Wow I wish you luck I did this once a long time ago with a 351M spun the bearings and ended up with a bad bottom end knock

ozzy460 05-19-2008 06:48 PM

well guys. tell me what to look for. trucks together and running, no milk in the oil, no bubbles in the rad. no wierd sound and still has good oil pressure.

Todd525 05-19-2008 06:52 PM

since you cant see the bearings, you cant look for them until you do a teardown. You cant see the headgasket you cooked, you ant see the wire harnesses you baked, so your right, if you stand there with the hood up, you wont see anything. The damage lurks Under everything you CAN see... Hopefully with ANY luck you wont have to find out how much of a pain it is to pull this motor out and do a rebuild.

tjbeggs 05-19-2008 07:07 PM

Its never good to over heat but since you don't see any milky oil and no other issues now you should be fine. Just keep an eye on the oil and coolant for the next two weeks.

Action4478 05-19-2008 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by tjbeggs (Post 6171813)
Its never good to over heat but since you don't see any milky oil and no other issues now you should be fine. Just keep an eye on the oil and coolant for the next two weeks.

I have to agree with TJ ..All the gloom & doom is unnessary unless you are having symtoms of a problem..These things aren't made out of marshmellows...Unless you ran it out of oil too, don't be concerned about the bottom end ,a head gasket problem will show itself right away ...Relax ,,, and keep an eye on things ....

WALJON 05-19-2008 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by ozzy460 (Post 6171749)
well guys. tell me what to look for. trucks together and running, no milk in the oil, no bubbles in the rad. no wierd sound and still has good oil pressure.

Good to hear so you had it up to normal temps and it seemed fine?

ozzy460 05-23-2008 09:48 PM

well all is good i have no issues. but guess i learned somethin, stop when its hot, heres what i had t replace( thak god not the motor) 3 idler pullys, belt tensioner, vacuume pump, serp belt( twice) idn't know the belt tensioner was bad and shredded the new one), and new radiator,( blew the lower cores right out) anyone got a rad for sale? anywayal is goo, thanks for the kind words and prayers

c00nhunterjoe 05-23-2008 09:50 PM

Change The Oil!!!!!!!!!

ozzy460 05-23-2008 09:51 PM

oh and took your advice, took a 90 cummins dodge to the crusher yesterday, maybe thats what helped