Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum168/)
-   -   Veggie Oil? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/740743-veggie-oil.html)

Chevyboy_0 05-11-2008 08:27 PM

Veggie Oil?

I'm sure this has been brought up many times before but what would it take to convert a 1987 F-250 6.9L/4Spd to run on Veggie oil?

willbd 05-11-2008 08:35 PM

"Just do it"

I am starting my 3rd year on WVO with my 95 PSD.

The best way is to run a 2 tank system. 1 tank is for your veggie and the other is for Biodesel or Diesel.

In the veggie tank install a heat exchange and make a heated fuel line and filter.

You can buy a kit to convert or you could build it your self.

Some people do the mixeed veggie and Diesel.

Good luck and let us know how it's working for you.

Chevyboy_0 05-12-2008 10:58 AM

what do you mean by heat exchange?

TXHillCountry 05-12-2008 11:32 AM

Go check out one of the "conversion kits" to get a good idea of what a "straight VO" system looks like. Like Greasecar Vegetable Fuel Systems

Basically how they work is this:

You have two tanks, one for the straight VO, and one for diesel. You start the engine on diesel. Once the engine is running, some method for heat is sent to the tank containing the VO to start heating it up. Most common is to use the radiator water lines run through a "coil" or some type of heat exchanger in the VO tank. Once the VO is heated enough (thin enough) to use, you switch over to the VO tank and run on that until it's time to shut down. Then you switch back over to the diesel tank to flush the fuel lines and injectors (you don't want VO sitting in those lines or injectors or it will gel). Then you shut down.

A commercially available conversion kit will usually have all the parts you need for the conversion, AND some will offer automation of the switching. The automated systems will monitor the temps and do the switching from one tank to another for you.

While I like the technical feasibility of it, here's my problem with a conversion kit. If you are technically inclined enough to build your own, then great. However, if you buy an off-the-shelf kit, they can be very pricy, almost the same price as an entry level bio-diesel processing system. So why not put the money in a bio-diesel processor and be able to use that fuel in any diesel vehicle, not just one vehicle that has a conversion kit?

Pros and cons both ways.

TX

willbd 05-12-2008 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Chevyboy_0 (Post 6145044)
what do you mean by heat exchange?

I have a heat exchanger in the front tank to warm the veggie oil. If it’s less than 70 F out veggie oil does not flow very well.

I have 4 heat systems to heat my oil. First is in the fuel tank. It’s a transmission oil cooler that has engine coolant flowing through the cooler and it sits on the bottom of the veggie fuel tank. I have 18 feet of hose on hose fuel line. Coolant flows through one hose and veggie oil through the other. 12 volt 200 watt heater that raps around my veggie oil fuel filter. Arctic Fox fuel heater that uses coolant to heat the fuel.

Arctic Fox Inc. Products for cold weather, diesel fuel heating, tube bending and outdoor products

akghound 05-14-2008 05:28 PM

Look Here

Checkout this site Frybrid Vegetable Oil Fuel Systems There is also a forum there with lots of info.

Sandblaster01 05-15-2008 12:18 PM

I have been running an F250 with a Goldenfuelsystems.com system since March 2008. I ran it during cold days (~20 degrees) without problems. Their system uses tubes from the coolant system to keep the oil hot. I didn't see any lag in power during the cold months. I am now getting into the warm months and am enjoying the longer run time because the oil is already heated in the black tank in the bed of the truck.