Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Modular V10 (6.8l) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum49/)
-   -   removing cooling fan (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/737938-removing-cooling-fan.html)

Skoda 05-02-2008 04:01 PM

removing cooling fan

Hey guysIàm in the middle of taking apart my truck and aving a hard time figuring out how to take off the fan and clutch assembly thats attached to the surpintine. Any info on how to, or articles will be more then appreciatedRegardsSkoda

jgoebel 05-02-2008 04:54 PM

I've some help have to take the belt off use a chainvise grip on the pully with a rage I think it is 1 1/2 wrench on the shaft an turn it counter clock wise an then take four nuts off the clutch an the fan comes off

Monsta 05-02-2008 05:19 PM

These are the instructions for installing the Cyclone Power Fan. it should help you in removing the stock fan. :)

Skoda 05-02-2008 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by jgoebel (Post 6110192)
I've some help have to take the belt off use a chainvise grip on the pully with a rage I think it is 1 1/2 wrench on the shaft an turn it counter clock wise an then take four nuts off the clutch an the fan comes off

thanks for the tip jgoebel

Skoda 05-02-2008 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Monsta (Post 6110265)
These are the instructions for installing the Cyclone Power Fan. it should help you in removing the stock fan. :)

Thanks monsta for a step in the right direction I don`t see a link but I`ll google it from here;-)Rep points for the both of yeaRegardsSkoda

Monsta 05-03-2008 12:03 AM

Holy crap! I forgot to post the link!!

Skoda 05-07-2008 08:24 PM

the fan is proving to be a real PITA I bought the tool made for the job and it broke:mad: I have one more idea, if it doesn't work then I'll go out and buy the chain vice grip and so that SOB fan clutch who's boss8D

but seriously the guy that came up with the idea to mount the fan clutch assembly to the water pump pulley should be beat'n with it}>:-missingt

kenneBF250V10 05-08-2008 08:04 AM

When I took mine off a couple of years ago a Ford mechanic told me to use a good sharp chisel and place it on the outter edge of the big nut that mounts the fan to the pulley assembly and give the chisel a couple of smacks with a hammer.

I made sure that the chisel got a good bite and smacked it with a hammer and it came loose pretty easily. If I'm not mistaken you have to turn the fan mounting shaft clockwise to unscrew it (could be wrong). That being said, if you are standing in front of the truck you would place your chisel on the right side of the big nut on pulley. You're basically using the chisel as a wrench but the jarring caused by the hammer is what breaks it loose.

It worked for me. Good luck!

P.S. - It doesn't take a BFH, a small ball peen hammer should do the trick.

super 6.8 05-08-2008 04:40 PM

That big nut is a lh thread isn't it?

kenneBF250V10 05-08-2008 05:06 PM

It's been a while since I've taken mine off but like I said, I believe you turn it clockwise.

Skoda 05-10-2008 06:58 PM

Got the darn thing off today:-drink

took some cord and a monkey wrench to get r done, nope happy about the delay its caused but now I can move forward:)

To refreash some fellow members memories:), it's turned counter clock wise for the next unlucky soul that has to remove it aswell