Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum168/)
-   -   Starting to get confused- Help me get back on the right track (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/736901-starting-to-get-confused-help-me-get-back-on-the-right-track.html)

MikeSDK 04-29-2008 10:47 AM

Starting to get confused- Help me get back on the right track

The more I read about making your own bio, the more confused I get.

Now, I know that running bio blends commercially available require no modifications to a diesel engine......I've been doing it in my PSD for a year with no ill effects. Where I start to get confused is when I read about producing your own bioD. If you do this, am I assuming correctly that there are still no mods needed?

I thought modifications were needed to run WVO.......or am I talking about 2 entirely different things? Is it homemade bio vs. WVO?

Thanks

tazo 04-29-2008 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by MikeSDK (Post 6097107)
The more I read about making your own bio, the more confused I get.

Now, I know that running bio blends commercially available require no modifications to a diesel engine......I've been doing it in my PSD for a year with no ill effects. Where I start to get confused is when I read about producing your own bioD. If you do this, am I assuming correctly that there are still no mods needed?

I thought modifications were needed to run WVO.......or am I talking about 2 entirely different things? Is it homemade bio vs. WVO?

Thanks

Biodiesel is wvo/svo converted to run in diesel engines. There is a process that removes the glycerin and then cleans the oil and the result is biodiesel. The process reduces the viscosity to be comparable to dino diesel.
Utah Biodiesel Supply - Biodiesel Homebrewing Supplies, Equipment, Processors and Information

With wvo/svo you need to convert the motor to run it. The oil must be filtered and dried before filling the tank. The oil also must be heated up to 180 deg F to lower the viscosity. The motor must start and stop on dino diesel.
PlantDrive™ - WVO, SVO vegetable oil fuel system, gas alternative, biodiesel

I am no expert. I am now running B100. For me it seems to safer than wvo/svo. I buy mine from a local supplier that makes ASTM D-6751 biodiesel. I would make it myself if I had the time and energy but, I would rather spend time with my family and horses.

Phydeaux88 04-29-2008 11:05 AM

BD (BioDiesel) and WVO (waste Vegetable Oil) are two totally different things.

BD is made from WVO in a process that rips the VO molecule apart producing 3 molecules of BD and 1 molecule of glycerin, a byproduct.

Because of its large molecular size and weight WVO requires modifying your truck so the oil can be heated before delivery to the injectors. It also requires a seperate tank for regular #2 that is used to startup and shut down.

BD does not require any mods, its molecule is the same size and very close in chemistry to regular. Just fill your tank with BD start the truck and go. If you have half a tank of BD and want to top off but can't find BD where you are don't worry just fill up with #2.

MikeSDK 04-29-2008 11:51 AM

OK, good...thanks guys.

So then, the information on the Utah Bio Supply page referenced above (the one with the Dr Pepper method for making small batches) is for Biodiesel, and not for WVO, correct? And the Appleseed processor is also for the bio, which calls for no conversion to the truck right?

If I have those facts straight, then I must have gotten confused by the section on the Utah Bio Supply website discussing how to obtain your WVO for the process?????

tazo 04-29-2008 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by MikeSDK (Post 6097314)
OK, good...thanks guys.

So then, the information on the Utah Bio Supply page referenced above (the one with the Dr Pepper method for making small batches) is for Biodiesel, and not for WVO, correct? And the Appleseed processor is also for the bio, which calls for no conversion to the truck right?

correct
correct

If I have those facts straight, then I must have gotten confused by the section on the Utah Bio Supply website discussing how to obtain your WVO for the process?????

To make biodiesel inexpensive home-brewers collect waste veg oil for a very small price or free and then convert the wvo to biodiesel using the appleseed, homemade or commercial bought biodiesel processor.
You can also use straight veg oil (svo). Or svo mixed with wvo to make biodiesel. These are all oils converted into biodiesel to run in our unmodified engines. Most commercial bought biodiesel is made from at least 80% svo in order to meet ASTM D-6751.

Using svo/wvo straight into the vehicle is a different animal. The vehicle must be modified.