Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   C6 Transmission Seals (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/735767-c6-transmission-seals.html)

htex01 04-26-2008 12:52 AM

C6 Transmission Seals

I am trying to find a seal kit for my C6 and I am not having any luck. I have tried looking at Jegs, Summit, AutoZone, Oreilly Auto Parts, Advance Auto Parts, JC Whitney, & Ebay. Nobody seems to carry the seal(s) kit for the C6. If you know where I can find a set or at least the Main Front Transmission Seal, please HELP!!!

Lazy K 04-26-2008 06:56 AM

Have you tried the FTE Parts Guy? You could also try Direct Ford Parts.

NumberDummy 04-26-2008 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by htex01 (Post 6085172)
I am trying to find a seal kit for my C6 and I am not having any luck. I have tried looking at Jegs, Summit, AutoZone, Oreilly Auto Parts, Advance Auto Parts, JC Whitney, & Ebay. Nobody seems to carry the seal(s) kit for the C6. If you know where I can find a set or at least the Main Front Transmission Seal, please HELP!!!

Welcome to FTE

Pal-eeze, when asking questions, post the year/model/engine size of the vehicle you're working on.

D6PZ7153AA .. C6 Transmission Seal & Gasket Kit (D6PZ-7153-AA replaced D7AZ-7153-A & C8AZ-7153-E)

Fits: ALL 1968/96 C6 Transmissions.

MSRP: $73.62 / ftepartsguy.com price: $57.43
---------------------------------------------
There is NO such part as a "Main Front Transmission Seal" I believe you want the FRONT PUMP SEAL.

F2VY7A248A .. F/Pump Seal / MSRP: $10.98 / ftepartsguy.com price: $7.91 (F2VY-7A248-A replaced C2AZ-7A248-A).

The same front pump seal was used on ALL 1966 thru 1996 C6 transmissions AND on ALL 1964 thru 1981 C4 transmissions, so it should be EZ to find.

icrman 04-26-2008 08:57 AM

Even a local tranmission shop can get them, some will sell to you and some won't.
Shucks can order them, as well as a NAPA store, or anyother popular auto parts stores.

htex01 04-26-2008 06:55 PM

Thank you all for your help, I've looked at Jegs, Summit, JC Whitney, AutoZone, O'Reilly Auto Parts, Advance Auto Parts, & Ebay, not a one of them sell the seal. See I was told it was just a Main front transmission seal, but last night I did a little search across the net and i found exactly what NumberDummy said, it's the front pump seal. I had forgotten all about Napa, so I will try them.

sconut1 04-28-2008 08:51 PM

I just went through the same issue with my 88 F150 with C6 transmission. Out of curiosity, are you just changing the seal because it's leaking or is this part of a trans rebuild that you're doing? I recieved an education last summer when I started looking into changing this seal on my truck as it was leaking very badly. I phoned about six transmission shops and they all told me that if the front seal goes, it's usually an indication that some bearing (I think he said??) is going in the transmission. I was told that if you just change the seal, the transmission will quickly damage the new seal and start to leak again. For the effort it takes to pull the trans, you might want to consider taking it to a shop and having it re-built. I got mine done for just $900.00, and that included R&R. I'll bet you could have the unit done for about $500.00 if you brought it into a shop.

Now, I was also told for about $200.00 less, I could have just the problem alone fixed, but being that close to a full rebuild, who wouldn't have one done on a truck that in my case, is pushing 210,000 mi.

htex01 04-28-2008 09:21 PM

No, it's not leaking anymore, its gone! I have a second transmission, just wanted to see if I could go ahead and fix the old and sell then new. I found out today, it has a 5.8(351W) in it, but with the 302 heads. I think, the reason why the transmission blew in the first place, is because it was geared for the 302 that used to sit in the truck and the low speed rear end thats in it. I want to change out my rear differentials and put them to at least a 3.73. I want to save fuel, I do realize, that with the 351W, it won't be much, but I want to save as much as possible. I havn't received the truck yet, I'm waiting on a trucking company to get off their a$$'s and get it shipped. But I do know mice and rats went in and had a field day with the wiring, got the wiring harness, just getting ready to get the truck here to finish. The transmisison seal, I found it at Napa for only $5.00, so I will get that changed out, along with the oil filter and new oil for it. I just need to find a place I can find the new diffentials, that arn't going to cost me an arm and a leg. See I've never gone to school, but my father, cousin, and friends are mechanics and I have learned a ton of stuff from them, but when they don't know stuff, I go on the net and ask around. Kinda like my Dodge, I had to get a new computer for it, I asked around and picked it up for only $125.00 at Apex Auto Parts. Their wonderful, they have every single part anyone could ever look for, not to mention dirt cheap prices!

Originally Posted by sconut1 (Post 6094944)
I just went through the same issue with my 88 F150 with C6 transmission. Out of curiosity, are you just changing the seal because it's leaking or is this part of a trans rebuild that you're doing? I recieved an education last summer when I started looking into changing this seal on my truck as it was leaking very badly. I phoned about six transmission shops and they all told me that if the front seal goes, it's usually an indication that some bearing (I think he said??) is going in the transmission. I was told that if you just change the seal, the transmission will quickly damage the new seal and start to leak again. For the effort it takes to pull the trans, you might want to consider taking it to a shop and having it re-built. I got mine done for just $900.00, and that included R&R. I'll bet you could have the unit done for about $500.00 if you brought it into a shop.

Now, I was also told for about $200.00 less, I could have just the problem alone fixed, but being that close to a full rebuild, who wouldn't have one done on a truck that in my case, is pushing 210,000 mi.