Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2004 - 2008 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum24/)
-   -   I Don't Know Why He Bought A Truck? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/731651-i-dont-know-why-he-bought-a-truck.html)

Renegade-Diesel 04-13-2008 09:22 PM

I Don't Know Why He Bought A Truck?

I was talking to a guy I work with last week. He has a 2003 F150 fully equipped. I have a F250 SuperDuty XLT that I use for towing, hauling, and just about everything else. My bed has dings and scapes in it and he couldn't believe how it looked.

He told me that he has never put anything in his bed, not even groceries. He washes his truck every week and waxes it every other week incuding the inside of the bed. He has power windows but they have never been down since he has bought the truck. He does not use the drive through at the bank, McDonalds, or anywhere like that. This guy is totally anal about keeping his truck spotless. :-missingt

He didn't need to buy a truck, if he wanted something that had a bed he could have got an Explorer Sport or a Honda.:-banghead

DriftinZ 04-13-2008 10:12 PM

Just because someone has a truck doesnt mean they have to put it to work. Sounds like he takes really good care of his stuff, whats wrong with that? :confused:

azfordf100man 04-13-2008 10:15 PM

Yeah, I have seen plenty of people like that. I'm trying to get my brother to put a 100 gallon fuel tank in his 07 F150 for our excavating business. Needless to say, he doesn't want anything to do with it because he "doesn't want to stratch the truck, it's too nice". With some people there is no telling them what trucks are for.

azfordf100man 04-13-2008 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by DriftinZ (Post 6035927)
Just because someone has a truck doesnt mean they have to put it to work. Sounds like he takes really good care of his stuff, whats wrong with that? :confused:

It doesn't have to be "put" to work, but you shouldn't be afraid to use it if you need it.:-drink

YoGeorge 04-13-2008 10:18 PM

To wear....

...just like people buy serious and expensive outdoor clothing designed for extreme conditions to wear to the mall, or why kids buy $200 basketball shoes to wear to school.

There are people in my well-to-do neighborhood who have Hummer H2's to pick up the dry cleaning and drop off their kid to school, etc. There are people who buy serious off-road vehicles and then put 24" wheels and 40-series tires on them...bling value only... I'd bet 90% of the Jeep owners around here have never been off-road any more than on a gravel driveway somewhere, or parking on a grassy lot when going to a concert.

The whole gangsta Escalade/Navigator thing is like that as well. Something to be seen in, never mind the practicality or cost. Conspicuous consumption, something Americans are very good at.

Trucks to me are like blue jeans....the older and more worn-in they get, the more you're likely to use them without worrying about them. A new luxury car, or a shiny new bling truck is like a suit. Tear a hole in the knee of your $1000 dress suit, and it's ruined. Drive a Cadillac with a dent, and it's tacky.

azfordf100man 04-13-2008 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by YoGeorge (Post 6035960)
...just like people buy serious and expensive outdoor clothing designed for extreme conditions to wear to the mall, or why kids buy $200 basketball shoes to wear to school.

There are people in my well-to-do neighborhood who have Hummer H2's to pick up the dry cleaning and drop off their kid to school, etc. There are people who buy serious off-road vehicles and then put 24" wheels and 40-series tires on them...bling value only... I'd bet 90% of the Jeep owners around here have never been off-road any more than on a gravel driveway somewhere, or parking on a grassy lot when going to a concert.

The whole gangsta Escalade/Navigator thing is like that as well. Something to be seen in, never mind the practicality or cost. Conspicuous consumption, something Americans are very good at.

Very true.

F0rdzTuff 04-13-2008 10:29 PM

My truck is still spotless. Goes off road all the time, but it's spotless. Granted, it's only 3 months old... If I have the option of going through the mudhole, or around it, I'll go around it, thank you. If I can climb a really rough hill at 5mph instead of 60mph, I go 5mph and spare the suspension. If I have to go around an area instead of scraping my paint with tree branches, I'll go around. When I sell my truck in a year or two, I'll get more money out of it than the guy who does the opposite while off-road.

kyfx4 04-13-2008 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by F0rdzTuff (Post 6036038)
My truck is still spotless. Goes off road all the time, but it's spotless. Granted, it's only 3 months old... If I have the option of going through the mudhole, or around it, I'll go around it, thank you. If I can climb a really rough hill at 5mph instead of 60mph, I go 5mph and spare the suspension. If I have to go around an area instead of scraping my paint with tree branches, I'll go around. When I sell my truck in a year or two, I'll get more money out of it than the guy who does the opposite while off-road.

I totally agree with you. I love to get mine dirty, I love to keep it clean as well. If I spend a little time and keep the truck clean, and don't drive like I did when I was 16, maybe this will be the only truck I'll buy for 15 years. A clean truck is a happy truck.....jmo.:)

khadma 04-13-2008 10:54 PM

All of my trucks have gone to work, as soon as the papers are signed, off to work it went.

THE bottom line is - TOO EACH HIS OWN. IT is his money and time, so just be glad that he bought a FORD.

ON the economic side of this, when the demand for these trucks are high, the manufacturers tend to keep the prices high. These high prices make it hard for the average person to afford a new truck.

There is a but.

BUT when people who buy these trucks get over the novelty of owning a status symbol, a person who wants a truck can usually find a truck in great shape on the pre owned lot.

MIND you not everyone buys a truck as a status symbol, but it is common and a part of western consumerism.

For those who are wise shoppers, buying a slightly used truck is a good practice. The first buyer IS going to take the initial depreciation hit. 5000-7000 dollars. With that most dealers do not want used vehicles on their lots, so a good deal can be had.

I hope to have a truck that never sees any tools piled in the back, but until then, tell your friends about FTE and become an FTE supporter.

TO EACH HIS OWN.

bigdaddyII 04-14-2008 11:24 AM

I know someone who bought a new truck and rents one to go to work. I work with a guy that bought a Dodge 2500, diesel brand new in 2005 and it only has 2400 miles, yes that is 2400 not 24,000.

chetlogan 04-14-2008 01:11 PM

Maybe he bought his truck to use in his business. The tax breaks for trucks (6,000 lb. GVWR and above) are significantly greater than for an auto or an SUV. The "business" can be anything. He could be a lawyer, for example. His tax write off could be as much as 100% of the purchase price, if he uses it 100% for "business".

tomdoggie 04-14-2008 02:18 PM

Did he ask you to help pay for it?? If not, dont ask why he bought a truck
He can buy what he wants

SteelHorse08 04-14-2008 03:00 PM

Ya what everyone has said, but this is the problem in today's society is everyone is concerned about everyone else, take your own inventory on yourself and dont worry about what others do--mine your own business!

YoGeorge 04-14-2008 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by tomdoggie (Post 6038027)
Did he ask you to help pay for it?? If not, dont ask why he bought a truck
He can buy what he wants

Yeah, but per my post above about the fella "wearing" the truck, just like women talking about what other women are wearing, we have a right to discuss this guy's outfit :)

smokestone52 04-14-2008 05:39 PM

I guess I have gotten a little anal with my truck. I used to buy a new truck and work and beat the dickens outta them, But now I am careful not to ding the outside or inside of cab on my truck, but I use it. I haul stuff all the time, plus I pull a travel trailer with it. Heck if I wasn't gonna use it I would have bought two Mustangs instead of a truck. One for my wife to beat around, and one for me to baby and look pretty in! :-missingt