Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Excursion - King of SUVs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/)
-   -   Parking Brake Adjustment? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/728816-parking-brake-adjustment.html)

jbilliel 04-06-2008 01:22 PM

Parking Brake Adjustment?

It seems as though my parking brake is not functioning all that well. I loaded up my race car on the trailer and noticed that when I put on the brake it has little to no resistence.

So my question is how do you adjust the parking brakes on the excursions?

weekendwarriorfsw32 04-06-2008 02:23 PM

I have never heard or had a problem like that before. Maybe a wire broke or the pads are shot?

i eat hybrids 04-06-2008 03:30 PM

How many miles are on that set of brakes? I had the smae problem towin my dads boat and it was the brakes. After i put new ones on, it broke alot better whil towin.

RACERX7775 04-06-2008 04:01 PM

isn't the park brakeshoes inside the rear discs??

jbilliel 04-06-2008 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by RACERX7775 (Post 6003585)
isn't the park brakeshoes inside the rear discs??

That is what I was told which would suggest that they are not effected by the regular brakes.

RACERX7775 04-06-2008 04:18 PM

it might effect it if you drove the X with the park brake on. i have seen people get over 300,000 miles out of the park brake shoes. lol. really there is no wear on them. especially since you aren't supposed to be moving when the park brake is on.

i eat hybrids 04-06-2008 07:26 PM

opps, i read the orig post wrong. I thought he was talking about the excursions brakes. lol. my bad. BTW, racer x, you are right about that. The ex's parking breaks are inside the breaks.

bigdog55 04-06-2008 11:20 PM

I thot that the e brake was on the driveline.I am having a problem with mine as if I forget to release it,I just go...The other is that when I put the E brake on,the "X" will roll about 6-10".When I just put the "X" in park,it stays there,but not when the E brake is set.I have had it adjusted twice but it still does it...

i eat hybrids 04-06-2008 11:52 PM

Bigdog, i i coulda swornin that i saw the E-Brake behind the pads when i replaced my rotors and pads. Hmm i might be wrong though. Can anyone else chime in some info about this topic?

VCLukeHumdinger 04-07-2008 01:43 AM

I adjusted mine several months ago. There is a small rubber plug on the inside of each rear wheel. Remove the plug and you can insetrt a screwdriver to adjust the "Star Wheel" inside just like on old drum breaks. Unfortunately I can not remember which way to tell you to turn the "star wheel" and I'm currently out of town so I can't go look at my X. Jack up the rear end to have the rear wheels off the ground and supported on jackstands, Block the front tires and release the parking brake, turn the "Star wheel" until it locks up the tires then back it off about three to five clicks, shold get you in the ballpark. You want the tire to spin free, you should be able to get atleast one full rotation of the tire when you spin it by hand. You should be able to feel the difference in the parking brake pedal. Your truck may still roll forward a few inches due to the design of the parking brake but should hold when in neutral.

gecko5 04-07-2008 04:49 AM

The E-brakes are inside the Rear disc brakes. Pull the calipers, slide off the discs and the whole mechanism is there. Outside force pushes a set of pads against the inside hub of the actual disc brake rotor. The cables run alongside the DS frame rail. I am NOT CERTAIN though if there's a setup like this on both rear wheels or just one side (I have only to date dissassembled one side!!!!). I would assume both sides.

BroncoEx 04-07-2008 07:13 AM

Just like Humdinger said. It is just like doing old drum brakes. Either remove the plug and use a screwdriver to tighten them up, or yank the disk/e-drum, and adjust like that. I prefer pulling off the disk so I can see better what I am doing. Very visual person.

Tim Z

i eat hybrids 04-07-2008 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by gecko5 (Post 6006077)
The E-brakes are inside the Rear disc brakes. Pull the calipers, slide off the discs and the whole mechanism is there. Outside force pushes a set of pads against the inside hub of the actual disc brake rotor. The cables run alongside the DS frame rail. I am NOT CERTAIN though if there's a setup like this on both rear wheels or just one side (I have only to date dissassembled one side!!!!). I would assume both sides.

I knew it, thanks gecko.:-drink

bigdog55 04-07-2008 10:25 AM

Hummm,thanks for the lesson...It's appreciated..

jh818 04-28-2010 01:53 AM

My mechanic told me today that the parking brake is not adjustable. Is this true?