Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Australia Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum249/)
-   -   I need info on Falcon utes. (ANd I may have found me one, over here) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/727744-i-need-info-on-falcon-utes-and-i-may-have-found-me-one-over-here.html)

Greywolf 04-03-2008 07:15 PM

I need info on Falcon utes. (ANd I may have found me one, over here)

The question is - what is the precise wheelbase from center of front hub, to center of rear hub, of a latemodel Falcon ute?

If it's what I think it is - it may be possible to bring over a used cab and bed from a wreck(s) and put them on something else. If true I can build my own, the only problem woulod of course be reversing the entire dash panel to move the steering and controls to the other side.

(Which might be done with parts from other US trucks)

There is a Falcon near where I live that was sent over to rob a cleveland engine out of (oddly enough - to put in another falcon ute).

The donor is from the seventies, and I haven't gone to look at it yet.

The guys responsible for the project send muscle car parts and motorcycles from the US to Down Under, and it seems to me they might help cook up a way to send a latemodel cab and bed over here for me to modify.

MUCH more cheaply than going after an entire UTE!!!

BigF350 04-03-2008 07:39 PM

Wheelbase is 121.85 :-wink

Greywolf 04-03-2008 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by FTE Fred (Post 5991097)
Wheelbase is 121.85 :-wink

Inches or centimeters?

If it's inches I can tape it off easily. I'm guessing right about close to an Explorer (I DO hope)

The price may get high if I have to deal with an entire chassis being sent over.

BigF350 04-03-2008 07:48 PM

Inches... centimetres and it would be shortest commercial vehicle I have ever seen!

Greywolf 04-03-2008 07:52 PM

Were it cm - I'd think it made by Subaru!

Right, I can work with that! Thanx Fred, and g'day once again!

~Dutch

PS: One day I really must hike an overseas trip by space available hop and come visit you. As a retired man I can do that on military flights.

BigF350 04-03-2008 07:55 PM

I might be coming to you sooner ;)

Greywolf 04-03-2008 07:57 PM

My place is kinda ragged - but what there is, is YOURS mate!

BigF350 04-03-2008 08:03 PM

I am sure I have seen (and possibly lived in) worse...

(I am moving to LA in the coming weeks)

Greywolf 04-03-2008 08:19 PM

Let's hope you can road trip once you're over here, I'd love to have you come out - and the Memphis Motorsports Park facility is right down the way from here (twenty minute drive or so).

I have plenty of room for a barby (got about four or five I can use, come to think on it) and a half acre lot. Room enough for several trucks and lots of lawn chairs - bring mosquito spray!

God help you in L.A. though, the traffic is horrible.

- You know? This morning on a thirty mile commute I think I saw no more than five or six cars and trucks....

WIDE OPEN COUNTRY TWO LANERS, I love it to tears.....

80F100man 08-09-2008 10:56 PM

GreyWolf, You may be able to use a similar year Ranchero dash or sumthin like that mate :) to make it LHD like the US

Greywolf 01-02-2009 03:41 PM

hate to say it, but I've been in a bind since posting last. It will be months before I can do anything at all with the projects I have already. I even had to let go of a 72 VW Super Beetle for just under what I spent on it a while ago.

Rotten shame, but after this year things will be right again.

Greywolf 01-03-2009 03:45 PM

'89 Rangers front to rear hub center is 107 inches. Six more inches can be gained by simply turning the rear leaf springs around backwards, interestingly enough.

That would still only be 113 inches

Austruck 05-13-2010 01:28 AM

The late model Aussie falcon ute is a monocoque chassis on the front, half chassis on the rear. Prior to 1999, it's a complete monocoque (meaning the chassis is part of the body). If you use a later than 99 ute, you'll have two chassis sitting on top of each other from the cab back.... Though over here I've seen people put them on Landcruiser chassis. Looks awesome when it's done properly though!!!