Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Kentucky Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum151/)
-   -   Got Robbed in Prestonsburg, Ky (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/726078-got-robbed-in-prestonsburg-ky.html)

CampSpringsJohn 03-30-2008 01:31 PM

Got Robbed in Prestonsburg, Ky

Happened last sunday night/ monday morning. I had a job I did in Louisa sunday evening and I went south to Prestonsburg and spent the night at a Super 8 motel. The next morning I went to leave for Isom, Ky and all the copper was gone off my truck. I had 250' of welding leads taken and 125' of extension cords. Called the cops and I was the 3rd one robbed in that area. Another one was robbed from the same hotel lot and a third guy at another close hotel. The leads cost over $1000.00 to replace. I was not a happy camper.

Apparently it's a big thing these days to steal copper for drug money. That's what the police told me.

rywegh 03-30-2008 08:50 PM

Yeah I have been reading about a lot of thefts like that John. Sorry you got picked clean.

Bluehawk 03-31-2008 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn (Post 5970455)
Apparently it's a big thing these days to steal copper for drug money. That's what the police told me.

Heck, anymore it's a big thing just for gas money. :-banghead

Bluehawk

rywegh 03-31-2008 09:24 PM

Ain't that the truth... Right now I am waiting to see if the Truckers are going to go on strike or not. What with diesel being nearly $4.00 a gallon, O/O can barely make a living.

CampSpringsJohn 04-01-2008 06:21 AM

Gas money is a big thing. Heck, depending on how far you have to travel to work, you could spend a good portion of your check on fuel just going to work. As for the truckers, some of the owner/operarors are really hurting. There are a bunch of reasons for that, one of them is the cost of fuel.

Customcab 04-02-2008 02:46 PM

too bad the hotel; doesn't prewarn folks about the recent theft; but thier out to get you as well. I wish you could catch those thefts and cut thier fingers off at the knuckles and remove thier thumbs. let see them try stealing something again; (Opps my old military mind is thinking again.)
Sorry to hear about your loss.

Mitch

LxMan1 04-02-2008 09:27 PM

Yeah, they are even stealing the pipes out of peoples houses. It's terrible.

Oggie 04-26-2008 09:37 PM

Man, that bites the big green one. Down in Northern AL they've been stealing stuff out of the backs of trailers at truck stops while the driver is asleep not 50' in front of them.:-X18

I like Customcabs idea. But, I'm more in favor of a sink hole and two bags of quick lime. And thats my Hillbilly heritage at work.}>

CampSpringsJohn 04-27-2008 09:31 AM

Last week I had a job just south of Pikeville on Hwy 23. The owner of the truck had caught someone trying to steal a couple tires he had chained to a tree in his front yard early on morning. He walked right up to them with his 12gauge and told them they had 1 second to live. He was amazed that he walked up to them that easy. He wasn't quiet about it at all. They jumped into the truck and took off, while he emptied 5 rounds into the side of it. One guy lost a couple fingers according to a friend that works at the local hospital emergency room. He never called the cops, nor did they. Doubt seriously they will be back around for quite some time.

Talked to a friend last week that is a pipeline welder working down near Prestonsburg. He said that they can't keep their welding leads on their trucks at night anywhere. Guys are having them stolen out of their boxes in the back of their trucks. Guys are now taking them off their trucks and bringing them into their rooms at night. You gotta do what you gotta do I guess.

Bluehawk 04-28-2008 10:21 PM

A vacation house near where my dad lives in Menifee Co got hit. The owner came into town, and found out that someone had broken in to the underpenning and ripped out all of the copper electrical wiring. Seems like a lot of work for a little bit, but I guess it adds up.

Bluehawk

CampSpringsJohn 04-30-2008 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Bluehawk (Post 6095442)
A vacation house near where my dad lives in Menifee Co got hit. The owner came into town, and found out that someone had broken in to the underpenning and ripped out all of the copper electrical wiring. Seems like a lot of work for a little bit, but I guess it adds up.

Bluehawk

Copper is going for about $3.00 a pound.