Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum26/)
-   -   Just bought a 07 HD saleen (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/712427-just-bought-a-07-hd-saleen.html)

blaster9 02-25-2008 02:31 PM

Just bought a 07 HD saleen

So I just bought an 07 HD charged f150 and i am not impressed at all with the power. I have about 450 miles on it so its still breaking in but as far as the 450/500 ratings...not so sure about them.

I just ordered an sct xcali 2 from jdm so Ill have a kickass tune coming on thursday but I kind of want to swap the pulley from a 3.5 to a 3.2 or so...

What do you guys think about this or any other mods that will still be able to convert back to stock when I go in for maintenance.

thanks

commandersander 02-25-2008 02:43 PM

Don't change your blower pulley. Instead, change your lower so you don't run the risk of belt slippage up top.....

FTE Ken 02-25-2008 03:11 PM

Agreed. Additionally, the blower pulley is harder to swap and risks damage to the blower bearings if not done correctly. Swap out the lower. :)

Congrats on the truck and welcome to the blown F150 crowd (I have a Roush F150).

blaster9 02-25-2008 03:42 PM

could i just swap out the lower pulley without f'in with the belt like tightening it or replacing it...could i just replace the pulley and throw in a good tune and call it a day?

FTE Ken 02-25-2008 03:47 PM

Yes, with a +2lb pulley you can retain the stock belt, and use a good custom tune. The difference will be amazing.

blaster9 02-25-2008 03:49 PM

i just talked to jdm about it and he said that if i go any difference with the crank or charger pulley it will max out the mass airflow meter and the truck's pcm will go ape****...

FTE Ken 02-25-2008 03:58 PM

I'm running a dyno tune on the stock MAF with a +2lb pulley, the MAF isn't pegged.

blaster9 02-25-2008 03:58 PM

fte ken do you have any products that i can look at online or maybe a site that sells those pullleys?

FTE Ken 02-25-2008 04:01 PM

Call Troyer Performance: www.troyerperformance.com
Make sure you tell them you saw them on Ford-Trucks.com, sometimes they offer discounts for forum members. Lots of items they carry aren't listed on the site so make sure you call them. :)

Mike Troyer has tuned more F150s than anyone in the country.

blaster9 02-25-2008 05:48 PM

so i talked to troyer perf and they said to go with the crank pulley ....however jdm told me that if i swap the upper or lower in order to get more boost i WILL have to get a new mass air flow meter b/c the stock one cant handle the increase in air...

troyer told me that this is b.s. b/c they have a 500rwhp roush with the stock air meter and it runs perfect...

any help on this? and where can i get a new crank pulley for this 07 HD?

FTE Ken 02-25-2008 07:41 PM

Troyer can get you the pulley. Troyer is right and it sounds like JDM wants to sell you a meter. I've done a lot of data logging on these trucks and they don't get anywhere near pegging and my truck is well in excess of Roush's 445 HP rating.

blaster9 02-25-2008 08:29 PM

do you think a 2lb pulley would be the highest i could go?
whats the stock crank pulley?
and would i need to retune my sct xcali for the pulley change?

thx a lot man

FTE Ken 02-26-2008 08:52 AM

Yes, its the highest you can safely go (for the long haul) unless the bottom end is built up and something done about the piston ristons (they fold under too much boost).

blaster9 02-26-2008 10:25 PM

will i need a retune for the sct 2 i just bought?

txharley 02-28-2008 02:32 AM

Let us know how it runs with the new pulley and tune. I just bought one a few months ago, but it just sits in the garage. I only have 650 miles on it. I already have an SCT II that i had from another truck, i just need to get it reprogramed. Do ya'll think just putting a custom tune will help any with the truck? Also, does putting a custom tune on the truck leave any kind of signature when i put it back to stock?

blaster9 02-28-2008 06:18 PM

well for rite now im just gettin the tune and in a week or so affter a lil more research im guna get the pulley ...but the more miles i put on it , it seems faster...that saleen charger needs break in time it seems...i have 520 on mine now and its already faster then when i first got it

FTE Ken 02-28-2008 07:49 PM

A custom tune will help, provided the correct person tunes it. It doesn't leave a signature --- some claim it does. The PCM is supposed to have a flash counter but on these trucks its not incremented.

FTE Ken 02-28-2008 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by blaster9
well for rite now im just gettin the tune and in a week or so affter a lil more research im guna get the pulley ...but the more miles i put on it , it seems faster...that saleen charger needs break in time it seems...i have 520 on mine now and its already faster then when i first got it

Has it gotten colder since you got it, or a humidity change? Air temp and humidity play a huge part with boosted engines. In the summer it really sucks compared to winter power! :(

txharley 02-29-2008 06:04 AM

FTE Ken, if I get a custom tune from Troyer performance, Can I use the same tune for both trucks? Also, I already have an SCT II from my previous truck, do you know if troyer will just sell the tunes? Thanks

FTE Ken 02-29-2008 08:41 AM

Tuners are VIN locked to vehicles. Plus the Roush and Saleen are completely different setups with completely different tunes. Troyer can reprogram the existing SCT, but you'll need to buy a 2nd one for the other truck.

blaster9 02-29-2008 01:00 PM

fte ken yes its gone from about 60s and 70s to 40s in temp over here in gville...thats definitely got to be it!

blaster9 03-05-2008 12:45 PM

GOT MY SCT X2 TODAY! THE TRUCK RIPS NOW...BUT OF COURSE IM STILL LOOKING FOR MORE POWER! THINKIN BOUT GETTIN THAT UNDERDRIVE PULLEY...HOW MUCH EXTRA BOOST DO YOU GUYS THINK ILL BE GETTIN IF I RUN A 2LBer ...

FTE Ken 03-05-2008 01:11 PM

You run boost pulleys. Boost pulleys turn the supercharger faster. Underdrive pulleys (used on naturally aspirated trucks) turn the accessories slower. You don't run underdrive pulleys with a supercharger. :)

You should have gotten the pulley first, because you're going to need to get a new set of tunes for the SCT to use the pulley with the blower. Did Troyer do the tunes for you? He can probably redo them, but I'd get him to do it know, rather than waiting for it and paying him a 2nd time!

blaster9 03-05-2008 02:08 PM

no i got the tune from JDM engineering from Jim jr... he said that if i run a smaller pulley like a 3.2 or so ill need a new MAM and so he basically wont sell me a smaller pulley without trying to get me to buy his mass air meter and cold air kit and some other bull ****....i talked to troyer and he said that stock MAM will be fine until i start gettin into the 550 hp range... not sure how small to go on the sc pulley tho

FTE Ken 03-05-2008 02:53 PM

You should have listened to Troyer (and the advice here), and got him to tune it. He's tuned more F150s than anyone in the country, bar none.

JDM is giving you bad advice. You shouldn't go with a smaller SC pulley. This can cause belt slippage due to less surface area. You should go with a larger lower pulley to increase boost -- it will increase surface area. You don't need a new MAF or anything else with the pulley swap, just the proper tune.

blaster9 03-05-2008 02:57 PM

oh ok thx man...

blaster9 03-05-2008 06:54 PM

how big should my new lower pulley be? thats still safe on a stock engine?

commandersander 03-05-2008 11:29 PM

4lb and call it good

FTE Ken 03-06-2008 11:04 AM

Incorrect. :( He should NOT go 4lbs over on the 3-valve 5.4. You can do that on the 2 valve 5.4 on the Lightning, but not on these newer 5.4 3-valve V8s. He needs to stick with 2 lbs more boost than the stock boost level, if longevity is of any concern. :)

commandersander 03-06-2008 12:33 PM

My bad.....

I'll consider myself "skooled"....

FTE Ken 03-06-2008 12:43 PM

No prob. :) Funny response though! :-D You're advice is great for the older trucks, they run very well with a 4 lb pulley! So will these newer trucks, but the piston rings are a weak point and there have been cases of them folding with 4lbs!

blaster9 03-06-2008 02:32 PM

So is that the verdict fteken? A 2lb lower charger pulley and a new sct tune to go with it? If so how much extra hp do you think thatll gimme? Im thinkin like 20-30 but again im new to these trucks...i have a supercharged corvette back home that i tinker with from time to time and thats what im used to...

thanks again 4 all the advice

blaster9 03-07-2008 08:52 AM

hey fteken quick ? What do you think would be the best muffler/exhaust for the 07 charged harley...im between buying a catback system online and just going into my local muffler shop and gettin a custom job...thinkin maybe true dual 2.5" or 3" with two mufflers(not sure what kind) ...any advice?

oe542bob 03-16-2008 10:36 AM

07 HD Saleen

Hi, New to the site. Traded my '02 HD truck for a new '07 HD/Saleen on 12/01/2007. Had problems with engine perfomance @ 250 miles. Took it to on 12/22 (first day I drove it since I picked it up) for a drive and had to limp to the dealer. I finally got the truck back on 1/02/2008. It runs ok, but I am unimpressed with the engine performance. My '02 seemed quicker and handled more like a sports car.
I really don't see how Ford/Saleen can advertise 450 hp. They are at least (to me) 100hp too high. I have an appointment to travel to JDM to have it checked out. Now having read the comments in the site, is this a waste of my time? JDM is 1.5 hrs from me and they are an authorized Saleen dealer. Jim Jr. told me if they find a problem with the Saleen program that it would not cost me anything.
Sorry for being so long winded(actually I could go on....), Now i'm really wondering about JDM! Thanks, Bob

FTE Ken 03-16-2008 10:56 AM

It is 450 HP, that's at the crank, just like the HD's horsepower is measured.

The Saleen doesn't use a postive displacement charger so you won't see the power come all at once like you will with the HD. If you had compared the Roush F150 to it, you'd have taken the Roush - it will blow away a 02 HD even though its rated at the same HP at the Saleen.

Also, you're dealing with a truck that is much heavier than the older trucks, and it as AWD, with eats up HP. Frankly, after seeing examples of the "advice" JDM gives with these trucks, I'd call Troyer Performance before I'd call JDM. Just my opinion...

oe542bob 03-16-2008 03:10 PM

What type of SC does Roush use? My truck does seem to be "breaking in" and it does seem faster. But I miss the punch my '02 had, this '07 builds hp through mid-range rpms. But with the stock computer tune it only runs to about 4800 during shifting. Also only goes to 95 mph. Ken, you mentioned AWD, my truck is only 2WD. I'm not aware that there were any Saleen powered HD trucks that were AWD.
Another question, the stripes on your truck look awesome. Are they painted or is it a tape stripe kit. I saw that Roush sells some stripe kits in black or silver. On my truck I would like to have the same orange color from the side to match the hood/roof. Thanks, Bob

blaster9 03-17-2008 01:01 PM

oe542bob my 07 HD saleen is wicked fast now....i had jim jr. write me a tune with the sct xcalibrator 2 and the truck shifts like a champ and is much faster now...i have about 2000 miles on it now and its finally opened up...i also have a 100 shot on the truck but dont use it very often...also the truck shifts out around 52 5300 rpm which defintely makes a difference ;)

FTE Ken 03-17-2008 03:35 PM

Optimal shift points are much higher than 4800, they should be 5320-5350.

AWD is an option with the HD trucks. 95 mph has to do with the tires not being certified for higher speeds, as well as the drive-shaft.

The stripes are a kit, not painted.

oe542bob 03-17-2008 07:48 PM

Blaster9, That sounds great, at least now I'm not as worried about getting some work done there. I use my truck almost everday so I'm not trying to make it a race truck. Can I ask how much JDM charged? I'm scheduled to go over to JDM on March 29. Do you have any vibration during moderate power pulls, such as going up a grade? My other mod I want to do is lower the truck about 2" in the front/5" in the rear. Looking at Ford Racing kit or the DJM kit. Both flip the rear axle, but Ford changes the front springs, DJM has you change the lower A-arm. Any input on the suspension change? Thanks, Bob

DeckedoutF150 03-24-2008 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by blaster9
i just talked to jdm about it and he said that if i go any difference with the crank or charger pulley it will max out the mass airflow meter and the truck's pcm will go ape****...

you could get a diablosport MAFi.a and you can adjust it so your MAF sensor will not peg out, its made for that purpose. go to diablosports website to read more about it and RPM outlet is also a good source.