Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Louisiana Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum148/)
-   -   OC and CCW laws (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/710263-oc-and-ccw-laws.html)

Jimmy Dean 02-20-2008 02:47 PM

OC and CCW laws

What are the laws/requirements for Open Carry and Concealed Carry in our state?

I know I need a permit for CCW, but do I need anything for OC, or do I even need any type of paperwork for owning a handgun or long gun?

MBBFord 02-20-2008 11:57 PM

I don't...........

of coarse that has never made anything right before.

walrus 02-21-2008 09:16 AM

http://www.opencarry.org

I don't know if it's current info or not. I read around a bit and there are some obvious nut-cases on there, but there are also some reasoned responses. Many refer to past Attorney General Opinions and from what I could gather... It's legal to Open Carry without a permit in Louisiana, but you can expect to get questioned and stopped by LEO's and others.

The only AG opinions I could find were old... 1980's... Attorney Generals office might be a good source of info.

Or you might call the local Sheriff's Department, but my guess would be that their canned response would be you can't.

TeamMudd 02-21-2008 09:26 PM

i don't have a link (yet) but to own a gun you don't need a permit.

as for open carry as long as it's in PLAIN sight no you don't need a permit.......BUT is certain places you can get "disturbing the peace" by taking it into them.

i'm sure there is alot more, but that has been explained to me by a couple differnt people. i plan on getting my concealed carry permit threw LSU continuing education of alexandria. they offer classes and range time for first time applicants and renewals. the next classes are in april.

here's a another link
http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html#fees

miker67 03-01-2008 12:32 AM

Louisiana gun laws may seem straight forward, but over the years have actually grown quite complex. A general summary would be that open carry IS legal with some exceptions, such as:
Synegogues(did I spell that right?) and Mosques and other religious centers
Public buildings
Any school and school bus even if not on school grounds
Any business establishment whose primary source of revenue is the sale of alcohol
Parade routes
Any area specifically enacted by local ordinance

Where it gets tricky is that most people don't realize just how many places are covered by the gun laws. Most football stadiums are part of a college campus and even though you might be going to a Korn concert, weapons are strictly prohibited because you are on school grounds. You can carry a weapon right up to the edge of the property, but if challenged by an officer you must comply immediately, or you will likely get jumped on and charged with any one of a number of offenses, the easiest of which resisting an officer and it only gets worse from there.

If you read the concealed carry laws really close, you will see that it even prohibits the concealed carry side of things WITH a permit at establishments where the majority of sales DONT come from alcohol. This means that if you eat dinner at a Bennigan's that also has a bar, even with a permit you would be breaking the law. Interpreted loosely, this could even be extended to grocery stores such as Wal-mart.

The best thing for you to do is if you want to carry, get the concealed permit so that you can do so legally, then carry concealed into other places at your own peril. As long as you are not drawing attention to yourself you will probably not have any problems. If you do the open carry thing and strap a gun to your hip you are going to have problems and the statutes are not in your favor. Even if you weren't breaking the law in the beginning of a confrontation, by the end you will have likekly broken several and things will have all been upgraded to felonies because you had your gun when you did it.
It's not worth it.

The open carry law is so that a guy can carry his rifle into Academy or Bass Pro shop to get accessories without getting hassled, or to be able to ride around on a four wheeler with a rifle on it to go duck hunting without breaking the law. If you want to carry for personal defense reasons, you need to get the CC permit.

You can review the laws for concealed carry on the Louisiana State Police website, and you can google R.S 14.94, and R.S. 14.95 and this will bring up the laws on Illegal carry.

Jimmy Dean 03-04-2008 01:10 PM

the open carry law has been on the books from the start. That is in the constitution of Louisiana actually.

Um, parade routes, people viewing the parade can carry, people IN the parade cannot.
On the liquor thing, you culd carry at bennigans so long as you are not sittin at the bar (notice how most places the bar is sepearted by walls from the tables? :) )

part of the liquor laws also stae that it only mtters if the sale is for consumption on the property, since gas stations and grocery stores you cannot conssume there, you can carry.

I have run into no problems open carrying over the last week all over Baton Rouge, haven't had a single cop look twice even. Had one gas clerk at a Citgo in Denham ask about it but that has been it.