Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Offroad & 4x4 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum63/)
-   -   Thinking of regearing for bigger tires? STOP - Read this! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/708754-thinking-of-regearing-for-bigger-tires-stop-read-this.html)

CheaperJeeper 02-16-2008 11:29 PM

Thinking of regearing for bigger tires? STOP - Read this!

Have you installed or are you thinking of installing larger tires for wheelin'? Is the need (and cost) to regear your axles a problem? Do you have 3.08s but want 3.55s? 3.55s but want 4.10s? 4:10s but want 4:88s? Before you drop a couple of grand on regearing your axles, I may have a better solution for you.

What if you could switch between 3.08 and 3.55 or between 3.55 and 4.10 or even between 4.10 and 4.88 gears anytime you want? Use one set of gears for driving on the road and another lower set for wheelin'.

If your wheelin rig has a T-19, I have just what you need to do just that. I am selling an Advance Adapters Ranger Gear Splitter that may be just the answer you're looking for. It is a 17% underdrive unit so it raises your final drive (crawl) ratio by 17% - like switching your 3.08s to 3.60s, or your 3.55s to 4.15s, or your 4.10s to 4.80s. Best of all, with the Ranger you can switch from one ratio to the other on the fly whenever you want - because it is fully syncronized for smooth shifting any time and in any gear.

I not only have the Ranger gear spiltter and shifter - which is what you get when you buy it from Advance Adapters, but I also have a shortened rear driveshaft and a lengthened front driveshaft to fit a standard cab, standard bed truck to go with it - something Advance Adapters DOESN'T even offer with a new one. Lastly I also have a heavy duty crossmember to mount it with - something else you don't get when you buy a new one.

A new Ranger goes for $1450. Modified drivelines are a couple of hundred each, and the HD crossmember would cost at least $50 to build - just for the steel! So if it were new this setup would cost close to $2000.

Now this unit isn't new by any means, but it is in good working condition. The mods won't allow me to quote a price on here, but lets just say that because it is an older, used, unit, I'm offering it for LESS than a third of the price of new.

I am also looking for a couple of budd wheel adapters and 3 budd wheels for the front of my dually (the 3rd wheel is for a spare). So, if you have any of that, maybe we can work a swap and a lesser amount of cash to make up the difference....

Send me a PM if you're interested in this - since I spend most of my time on here in the IDI forum....

DesertStorm 02-16-2008 11:41 PM

Naawwwpp, not for me, gears are max 300bones for front and rear and i can set up a whole truck in just a day. Done it several times. If I want to go slower I drop the doubler case into 2lo. Got the case for freeeeeee. Yeah.

CheaperJeeper 02-16-2008 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by DesertStorm
Naawwwpp, not for me, gears are max 300bones for front and rear and i can set up a whole truck in just a day. Done it several times. If I want to go slower I drop the doubler case into 2lo. Got the case for freeeeeee. Yeah.

Lucky you. Most people don't have the ability or tools to do their own gear changes. Not too many of us get a chance to pick up a free doubler either....

DesertStorm 02-16-2008 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by CheaperJeeper
Lucky you. Most people don't have the ability or tools to do their own gear changes. Not too many of us get a chance to pick up a free doubler either....

very true, i try to build on a budget. free or homemade most of the time. I wish I has 2g's and I would get one sorta like a tripler.

Ford150/428/dud 02-17-2008 10:53 AM

Its easier, faster, and cheaper for me to change my gears to lower ones.

CheaperJeeper 02-17-2008 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Ford150/428/dud
Its easier, faster, and cheaper for me to change my gears to lower ones.

What are you guys paying for gears?!? Desert Storm seemed to be saying either $150 a set (which is pretty surpising) or $300 a set (which sounds more realistic). I know damn well that if you do it right and buy a master install kit those are about $75 for each axle. So even if you DO pay $150 a set for gears and $75 for the install kits (bearings, shims, seals, etc.) that's $225 per axle. If they are $300 per gear set, add in the install kits, and now you're looking at $750 for both axles.

The point I'm making is that I think you may have a mistaken idea of what I'm asking for this unit. If changing the gears in BOTH your axles costs you more than $601 then you're mistaken, it isn't cheaper than this setup.

Plus once you change the gears you can't switch back & forth from one ratio to another on the fly. Now If you think you can change the gears in two axles easier or faster than shifting the lever on this box, then I want to see that!

Seriously guys if you have the skills and tools to set up gears yourself then this may not be for you, and that's fine - just move along - BUT DON'T TRY TO HIJACK MY THREAD, OK?

CheaperJeeper 02-17-2008 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by DesertStorm
very true, i try to build on a budget. free or homemade most of the time. I wish I has 2g's and I would get one sorta like a tripler.

I think you've misunderstood man, I'm not asking 2 grand for this setup - that is the price for a new one. THIS setup is less than 1/3 that price....

chrono4 02-17-2008 11:58 AM

You want him to not hijack your thread..... But you want to take up space in a board to push what you're selling, and you're not a sponsor?....... I guess I'll leave it at that.

countryboy116 02-17-2008 01:02 PM

seriously, if you dont want your thread hijacked then dont post it in here, post in where it belongs in the classifieds so dont come down here and post a CLASSIFIED AD (thats exactly what this is) in this section and then tell us what to do

CheaperJeeper 02-17-2008 02:18 PM

Look, I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do. I just though this migh be a less costly and more effective answer for someone. A lot of people don't have the skills or tools to set up gears. Have you ever gotten a quote to regear an axle from a reputable shop? I did - from Randy's Ring & Pinion. They wanted $800 to regear ONE axle - and that was with me supplying the gears. They even said that regearing a second axle at the same time wouldn't get me nough of a discount to amount to anything.

No need to get hostile - I was only asking that the thread stay on topic. Yes this is sort of a classified ad, but it is for a specialty item that a lot of people don't know anything about and it is a good alternative for a specific use - I'd like to see it get used by someone who needs it. Heck I'd use it myself if I could, but since I can't I'd be thrilled to see someone who needs to but can't afford to spend 3 times more having a shop regear their axles (and can't do it themselves) get some use out of it.

You're right - I'm not a sponsor, but I'm not in the business of selling stuff either. I have only one of this item that I'd like to see go to someone who needs it. That's all.

DesertStorm 02-17-2008 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by CheaperJeeper
Look, I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do. I just though this migh be a less costly and more effective answer for someone. A lot of people don't have the skills or tools to set up gears. Have you ever gotten a quote to regear an axle from a reputable shop? I did - from Randy's Ring & Pinion. They wanted $800 to regear ONE axle - and that was with me supplying the gears. They even said that regearing a second axle at the same time wouldn't get me nough of a discount to amount to anything.

No need to get hostile - I was only asking that the thread stay on topic. Yes this is sort of a classified ad, but it is for a specialty item that a lot of people don't know anything about and it is a good alternative for a specific use - I'd like to see it get used by someone who needs it. Heck I'd use it myself if I could, but since I can't I'd be thrilled to see someone who needs to but can't afford to spend 3 times more having a shop regear their axles (and can't do it themselves) get some use out of it.

You're right - I'm not a sponsor, but I'm not in the business of selling stuff either. I have only one of this item that I'd like to see go to someone who needs it. That's all.

I sorta misunderstood your price, it was late. But woulnt it be better to post in a buy/sell thread? Not that much of a specialty item btw. Anyhow most people want a lot lower of a reduction than 17% more like 100% reduction or more. And i DO get Motive blue box gears for 175 with minor install kits. U dont need a major overhaul every time you change gears. I wasnt trying to hijack your thread. I was posting my thoughts. If you dont want a lot of peoples opinions you should post in a dedicated BUY/SELL thread, not under general topics. You asked for it. Now I am hijacking. See the difference?:-hijacked

BigF350 02-17-2008 06:30 PM

***closed***

As per our guidelines, item #3 and #5.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/guidelines.html

Originally Posted by FTE Guidelines
3. No Advertising . (Note: This applies to non-sponsors.) Posting commercial solicitations, advertisements, multi-level marketing, promoting competitive commercial or non-commercial web sites, phone numbers, web site addresses, photos, testimonials or other content promoting a business in which you are involved is strictly forbidden and will result in immediate and possibly permanent revocation of your posting privileges. This includes promotion of companies in return for discounts, favors, free products, promotional links in profiles and signatures, and screen names intended to promote commercial entities.

5. Personal Items For Sale . For Sale items are not allowed in the automotive and general discussion forums of FTE. We have a Classifieds section that you can list your items in. Want ads are allowed in the forums so long as you post a follow-up when you find the part(s). Vehicle value discussions are permitted, however, if we find it turning into a for sale thread, the thread will be removed. The only exception to this guideline is the Chapter Forums. There is a specific thread in each Chapter Forum, for Chapter Members only, that is intended for local for sale items.

Thankyou :-wink