Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other; Brakes, Electrical, Hitches, Weight Distribution & CDL Discussion (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum290/)
-   -   Trailer wiring diagram (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/708275-trailer-wiring-diagram.html)

straightsixer 02-15-2008 07:12 PM

Trailer wiring diagram

Is there a source for diagram and wire colors for hooking up a round 6-prong plug, other then my Haynes manual??? There are two round empty male plugs with 4 wires going to each one under the left corner of the rear bumper. I put a volt meter on them and one of the plugs appear to be for the blinkers so I know I'm getting warm. These plugs are badly rusted and I will replace them but I'd like a diagram to work off of.
Thanks

BPofMD 02-15-2008 07:21 PM

Do a search in this Forum...it's been posted a while back.

grafekie 02-15-2008 07:40 PM

There are SEVERAL standards for the six-pin round plug. That's why most people switch to the seven pin RV plug instead.

Greywolf 02-15-2008 07:51 PM

BINGO!

no sense re-doing a fine diagram - here is a link:

http://www.accessconnect.com/trailer_wiring_diagram.htm

A problem seems to exist with six-way connectors, because you can pretty much wire them for whatever you want them to do. In other words - the chances of any two of them being wired alike are slim...

Industry standard is the seven-way, or four-way flat.

The five way flat is sometimes used to give an extra wire for auxiliary power, backup lights, or whatever - so you never know what a prior owner of a truck or trailer has done with one of those either without testing the extra wire to discover it's function.

F350-6 02-17-2008 08:28 PM

As usual Greywolf has provided excellent information with his link. The 2 different wiring options you will see on the 6 way plug will be having the brake wire & 12v power wire reversed. If you hook up to a trailer and the brakes come on, those 2 wires are reversed. This is the only variation on the 6 way plug I have seen, since RT, LT, TM, GD are standard labels.

Greywolf 02-18-2008 07:48 AM

Gotcher back! SEMPER FI...

steve1954 07-31-2011 07:56 PM

I am using a 7 pin plug on 05 f-250sd and the same on my gooseneck horse trailer. The wiring on the truck was so messed up I gave up on it and took it to a rv dealer and 67.00 later everything works, except, with the 03 2500hd silverado I used to pull the rig with, I also had full time interior lites. Now with the Ford, I have to have the key on to use the interior lites. Talking to other local Ford owners, they also have to do the same. My question is, Do I need to run a separate wire for full time power to the plug? or is there another option, Thanks again

dchamberlain 07-31-2011 08:44 PM

Put a small deep cycle battery in the trailer. Wire the hot wire from the trailer pigtail to the positive side, and the ground the negative side. The lights will run off of the battery, the truck will charge the battery when it's running.

steve1954 08-02-2011 05:44 PM

Thanks for the quick reply, is it posible to tye into the same positive wire from my breakaway battery?

dchamberlain 08-02-2011 05:49 PM

I think it should be possible. I'd have to see how it's wired now though, to really even begin to figure out how to do it.

I've seen stock trailers wired with breakaway batteries that are not hooked up to be charged before, though, and I've never understood why. If there is a good reason, I'm not sure I'd want to mess with it. The best option might be to find a good RV tech nearby and find out how it is and how to fix it up right.

steve1954 08-02-2011 05:57 PM

I have a auxillary battery adjacent to the breakaway battery, If I tyed into the + from the truck, would that allow me to charge both batteries and have full time lites as well?

Ace_boy2786 01-31-2015 11:55 PM

I know this is an old topic but, I have a question, is there a battery small enough to mount truck side and connect between truck connector and receptacle to have the constant power on the truck so no matter the trailer you have the constant lights, say your trailer is down (or don't have one) and borrow a buddies who doesn't have the onboard battery.

BPofMD 02-01-2015 10:59 AM

Wouldn't it be a lot easier just to keep a REAL battery charged and use it that that buddies RV?