Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   Fuel tank size (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/707226-fuel-tank-size.html)

WilliesSD250 02-13-2008 12:43 AM

Fuel tank size

I was just curious as to what size the fuel tanks are on a crew cab long wheel base on a '97. It's a work truck and I've been told that I should never let the fuel guage go past 1/2.
When I fill up at this point it takes about 9 gallons to fill up. The guys tell me it's only a 11 gallon tank, but I've put in 11 gallons before, but the truck wasn't showing any signs of stalling out from lack of fuel. I think it's a 19 gallon tank. but I don't want to risk running it dry either. What do you think??

Cuda_jim 02-13-2008 08:06 AM

Here ya go:
Fuel System Specifications

<table border="1" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0"><caption>Capacity </caption><tbody><tr><th colspan="2" align="center" valign="bottom">Model</th><th rowspan="2" align="center" valign="bottom">Body Style</th><th rowspan="2" align="center" valign="bottom">Location</th><th rowspan="2" align="center" valign="bottom">Advertised Tank Cap. Refill Liters (Gal)</th></tr><tr><th align="center" valign="bottom">Series</th><th align="center" valign="bottom">Wheelbase mm (In)</th></tr><tr><td align="left" valign="top">F-250 Heavy Duty (4x2)</td><td align="center" valign="top">3378 (133.0)</td><td align="center" valign="top">Reg. Cab</td><td align="center" valign="top">Midship

Aft/Axle
</td><td align="center" valign="top">72 (19)

69 (18.2)
</td></tr><tr><td align="left" valign="top">F-250 Heavy Duty (4x2)</td><td align="center" valign="top">3526 (138.8)</td><td align="center" valign="top">Super Cab</td><td align="center" valign="top">Midship

Aft/Axle

69 (18.2)
</td></tr><tr><td align="left" valign="top">F-250 Heavy Duty (4x2)</td><td align="center" valign="top">3937 (155.0)</td><td align="center" valign="top">Super Cab</td><td align="center" valign="top">Midship

Aft/Axle

69 (18.2)
</td></tr><tr><td align="left" valign="top">F-250 Heavy Duty (4x4)</td><td align="center" valign="top">3378 (133.0)

w/o E4OD
</td><td align="center" valign="top">Reg. Cab/

Chassis Cab
</td><td align="center" valign="top">Midship<sup>a</sup>

Aft/Axle<sup>a</sup>

69 (18.2)
</td></tr><tr><td align="left" valign="top">F-250 Heavy Duty (4x4)</td><td align="center" valign="top">3937 (155.0)</td><td align="center" valign="top">Super Cab</td><td align="center" valign="top">Midship<sup>b</sup>

Aft/Axle<sup>b</sup>

69 (18.2)
</td></tr><tr><td align="left" valign="top">F-350 (4x2) and (4x4)</td><td align="center" valign="top">3378 (133.0)<sup>c</sup> </td><td align="center" valign="top">Reg. Cab/

Chassis Cab
</td><td align="center" valign="top">Midship

Aft/Axle<sup>a</sup>

69 (18.2)
</td></tr><tr><td align="left" valign="top">F-Super Duty (4x2)</td><td align="center" valign="top">3475 (136.8)</td><td align="center" valign="top">Chassis Cab/

FSD

Aft/Axle<sup>a</sup>

69 (18.2)
</td></tr><tr><td align="left" valign="top">F-Super Duty (4x2)</td><td align="center" valign="top">4084 (160.8)</td><td align="center" valign="top">Chassis Cab/

FSD

Aft/Axle<sup>a</sup>

69 (18.2)
</td></tr><tr><td align="left" valign="top">F-350</td><td align="center" valign="top">3937 (155.0)</td><td align="center" valign="top">Crew Cab</td><td align="center" valign="top">Midship

Aft/Axle

69 (18.2)
</td></tr><tr><td align="left" valign="top">F-250, F-350 (4x4)</td><td align="center" valign="top">3378 (133.0)

with E4OD
</td><td align="center" valign="top">Reg. Cab/

Chassis Cab
</td><td align="center" valign="top">Midship<sup>a</sup>

Aft/Axle
</td><td align="center" valign="top">87 (22)

69 (18.2)
</td></tr></tbody></table>

<sup>a</sup> Plastic tank.
<sup>b</sup> With R.P.O. skid plate.
<sup>c</sup> 4x4 without E4OD and all 4x2.

884x4broncoII 02-13-2008 08:33 AM

maby there is a problem with the pickup tube is why they told you not to run it below a half tank

Cuda_jim 02-13-2008 10:31 AM

I've never put more than 17 gallons in either tank even though the book saya I have 19G front and 18.2G rear. I let 1 tank at a time run almost dry (Engine sputters) then switch to the full one. I do this on the e-way so there is no stop and go driving (sloshing in the tanks). I think the fuel pickup tube bottoms for our diesels are a bit higher than the gassers because fuel contamination is so critical. IDK though.

I agree with ^^bronco^^, the pickup tubes have been known to crack letting air into the fuel system. You'll know when it happens. Try running each tank down until the engine begins to sputter or loose power then switch.

IDMooseMan 02-14-2008 11:22 PM

Jim,

I've put in 17.2 - 17.6 in my rear tank, and this is before the engine starts sputtering. Your tanks may need cleaning.

Cuda_jim 02-15-2008 05:27 AM

Craig, it was clean as whistle when I replaced it for a leak not too long ago. I might have switched to the other tank too soon.....being paranoid about running the engine dry. It seems like it takes a forever before the engine settles down after running it low. In reality it was less than 5 seconds or so. :)

WilliesSD250 02-15-2008 12:38 PM

I appreciate all the input guys. What I think I'm gonna try is carry an extra 5 gallons with me and when I start to sputter I'll get a good idea of how far I can actually go, and then I'll add the 5 gallons in and then beat it back for base camp.

884x4broncoII 02-16-2008 12:45 AM

if you run it dry, pour some fuel in the fuel filter before trying to restart, getting these things primed can be a pia

IDMooseMan 02-16-2008 11:16 AM

I've run my little tank dry a few times at highway speeds. Just switching tanks was enough to keep her going.

Of course, I now recognize when she's starting to run dry and switch tanks as soon as I feel the engine shudder.

Hussler 02-16-2008 03:33 PM

That chart is interesting. When I'm between 1/4 and 'E' on the guage all I can get in at most is about 12 - 13 gallons, pumping slow. Does that skinny little needle go well below the 'E' mark before completly empty? Was always concerned pushing the limit(s) as I've heard running it dry is not a fun experience.

Jim

fmco_muddin 02-16-2008 07:46 PM

I was also told its not good to run the tanks emty cause of the pumps in the tank get hot!!! dunno if that is true but thought i would throw it out there

sundy58 02-16-2008 08:56 PM

runnin' dry

Glad you guys have done the testing! I get to a quarter tank and I switch to the other tank. I have been below a quarter tank but not by much.

I usually put about 15 gallons in each tank at the quarter mark.

My Daddy made it perfectly clear to me that I was walking if I ran a vehicle out of fuel. He was old school! In the very best way.

cowmilker08 05-23-2010 08:47 PM

So according to the above chart I should have a 22 midship tank.
Problem is I can't find a new to buy online.

Ken_C 05-24-2010 01:45 PM

As far as I know, our trucks do not have a pump "IN" the tank the reason I was told to not run out of fuel is it is really hard to get them going again. the reason being the fuel pump located on the engine. purging all the air from the fuel system takes a long time. (time that could overheat the starter) that time can be greatly reduced by filling the fuel filter canister with fuel and being sure the screen in the fpr is clean.

does any one know if our fuel tanks are interchangeable with the 99s? I really want a titan tank for the midship position but they do not make a tank for our OBS trucks. I would try to make one of the ones for a 99 fit it they are close. theres plenty of room under there for a bigger tank. the increased range would be cool. the rear tank I was thinking of doing that F26E tank. provided it clears the class C hitch.

keporter15 03-23-2011 12:21 AM

It is a 19 gal tank