Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum38/)
-   -   Crewcab Only Thread. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/706685-crewcab-only-thread.html)

crazyredneckanyhow 03-08-2008 01:17 PM

Factory 4wd radius arms are to short for a crew 2wd frame. Already been there.

greythorn3 03-08-2008 02:09 PM

cage long arms!! they are the best!

79Bronco5L 03-08-2008 02:22 PM

I do know of an 84 1 ton 4x4 for sale, cheap. Will any of these components work or is this one of those projects that just wasn't meant to be?

greythorn3 03-08-2008 02:23 PM

that TTB junk

79Bronco5L 03-08-2008 02:44 PM

There is a good supply of 73-79 trucks around these parts, except for crew cabs. Will the frame from under a F-250 ext. cab long box 4x4 work if it is shortened a little? Any one know what that all involves, trim rear of frame or take section out of middle? I want to keep the short box behind the cc.

78xltcrewcab 03-09-2008 10:12 PM

I have a 78 CC 4x4 XLT. This was a CA truck and had no rust when I got it. Did a frame off and new paint inside and out. Still finishing the interior. So far I has power windows/locks and 97 Ford seats. Just had a set back when my oil pump seized up and took out the cam/distributer. Some older photos in my gallery I hope to get more when she back up and running. Love these old truck every where I go some one comes up and comments on it.

crazyredneckanyhow 03-09-2008 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by 79Bronco5L
There is a good supply of 73-79 trucks around these parts, except for crew cabs. Will the frame from under a F-250 ext. cab long box 4x4 work if it is shortened a little? Any one know what that all involves, trim rear of frame or take section out of middle? I want to keep the short box behind the cc.

You have to cut approx. 4 1/2" out of the frame near the rear cab mounts to make the sheelbase and everything fit correctly.

shoot4fun 03-14-2008 03:25 PM

:-X14WooHoo! My CC finally made it home! Pics coming soon of the 'before'...
:-X03:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-X03

Brad

78_f800crewcab4x4 03-15-2008 01:25 AM

ok, i installed and tested my custom power windows for the rear doors. they work great, dont rub or bind on anything; however, they dont travel all of the way down, stick up 3/4 of an inch. this dosent bother me at all, so i'm going to leave it. i could have welded the arm at a slightly different angle, so if anyone else is doing this conversion, take note to not weld the arm at the same angle as the stock regulator, but a little off. which way i cant remember but you will have to look at and figure it out. i did post pics of the modified regulators in my gallery a month ago. Overall, i love the results and it is worth the money to me. i am going to run all of the wires along the door hinge and up the b pillar. i had to use spray adhesive on the window tape to get the glass to stay in the lift channel, the ''tape'' alone was'nt enough.

Crackpot 03-15-2008 01:39 PM

Now all I need todo is work up the nerve to screw with the doors.. good job though..

crewcab77 03-15-2008 08:38 PM

1977.5 Crew cab short bed 4wd ranger xlt. Hopefully in the next year i can start restoreing it. Got all the parts just need to find the time. Mods so far replaced the tired 400 with a 460. Ford windstar front seats superduty center console. dodge mini van overhead console. Pics in my gallery but it don't look like that anymore its been sitting for a few years and its starting to rust.

roger dowty 03-15-2008 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by crewcab77
1977.5 Crew cab short bed 4wd ranger xlt. Hopefully in the next year i can start restoreing it. Got all the parts just need to find the time. Mods so far replaced the tired 400 with a 460. Ford windstar front seats superduty center console. dodge mini van overhead console. Pics in my gallery but it don't look like that anymore its been sitting for a few years and its starting to rust.

that will be a very nice rig...already is...gotta get my pics up too.

shoot4fun 03-17-2008 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by crewcab77

Did the seats need much modificatin'? How 'bout the overhead console? I'm stealin' ideas for mine...!

shoot4fun 03-17-2008 02:46 PM

I learned over the weekend that, when you take a CC off its frame and put a regular cab back in its place, all you have to do is drill out the holes in the cross member (where the reg. cab rear mounts are normally) and the cab mounts fit perfectly. No need to remove the CC c-member and replace it with one from a regular cab c-member. The CC c/m has two small holes roughly the same distance apart as the reg. cab. Took a 1-3/4" hole saw and 5 minutes and the reg cab was ready to go back on! I'm still in shock caused by the lack of rust on this CC! It has been treated well. Hope to get pics loaded this evening of the first half of this swap.

Sorry. I'm rambling.

crewcab77 03-17-2008 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by shoot4fun
Did the seats need much modificatin'? How 'bout the overhead console? I'm stealin' ideas for mine...!

No just had to make some mounts for the seat tracks if i remember correctly. Its been along time since i put them in. The overhead console was pretty easy also just got to have alot of patience when you trim the plastic so it fit snug to the headliner.