Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Big Block V8 - 385 Series (6.1/370, 7.0/429, 7.5/460) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum53/)
-   -   Oil pump driveshaft (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/70455-oil-pump-driveshaft.html)

bb79ranch 01-09-2001 09:45 PM

Oil pump driveshaft

etobolski 04-01-2001 02:22 PM

Oil pump driveshaft

Hello. My problems all started yesterday when the oil pump driveshaft pulled out with my distributor when I was replaceing it. I got a new driveshaft since the old one was slightly rounded on one end, and after replacing everything, I was reading 0PSI of oil pressure. The oil pan came back off for a new pump now. When I primed the pump I got 80 PSI, so I dropped the distributor back in and started it up. I now have 0 psi, and lifter noise after a few minutes. After some trouble shooting I determined that the oil pump drive shaft is not reaching the distributor. All of the new parts are identical to the old ones. All the parts I replaced were re installed in the same fashion as what I removed, except the drive shaft since it was sitting in the oil pan. I installed that the way that my Ford repair manuals have it pictured in the diagrams. Anybody have any clue as to what is wrong with my truck? BTW, the engine is a 460 from an 87 F-250. Thanks.
Eric Tobolski

xaviar 04-03-2001 01:36 AM

Oil pump driveshaft

Your oil pump driveshaft should have not come out when replacing the Distributor. There should have been a metal retaining ring on one end of the shaft to prevent it from coming out. If you have replaced the oil pump with a new oil drive shaft the retaining ring end goes up. This can only be done with the pan off unfortunately. If tried from topside ring would prevent from being install too. Was there a retaining metal ring on one end of the old shaft or the new one. Did you check the length of the old shaft compared to the new one.

I hope this helps?

Xaviar
96 F-250HD 4x4 460/E4OD 4.10
Banks Power Pack, Banks Trans Command
MSD 8227 Coil, MSD 32199 8.5 Wires, MSD 6A

etobolski 04-03-2001 06:00 AM

Oil pump driveshaft

The old shaft had no clip, but the new one does. That definately explains why the shaft pulled out. I finally figured out my problem late last night. The original shaft had about an inch that broke off, but I didn't find until just last night. The guy at the parts counter had not only given me a shaft with the wrong part number, but it also matched up perfectly in length to the long part of my broken one. I thought that one end was just rounded on the old shaft, and that is why I replaced it. Thanks.
Eric Tobolski

Bill_Beyer 04-03-2001 10:03 AM

Oil pump driveshaft

Glad you found your problem. Only question now is why did it break??

etobolski 04-03-2001 12:39 PM

Oil pump driveshaft

I am guessing that the distributor caused the break. The stock distibutor has some unusual marks on the portion that seats the drive shaft. This was the end of the shaft that broke as well. I've got a new distributor oil pump and shaft now, and the pan was nice and clean except for the piece of the shaft. Hopefully the problem won't come back again. Thanks.
Eric Tobolski

sledhead1 04-06-2001 07:22 PM

Oil pump driveshaft

this is not the first 460 429 I have heard that broke the oil pump drive shaft. I think they break more than there share and should be replace with an aftermarket one, exspicaly if driven hard or during a rebuild. I like the ARP shaft the best but have also used milodon.

etobolski 04-06-2001 10:29 PM

Oil pump driveshaft

Do you have any idea what causes the break? Mine looked like it broke just below the distributor, which was in rough shape. Thanks.
Eric Tobolski