Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Driving hard + huge pothole = finding weak components (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/698163-driving-hard-huge-pothole-finding-weak-components.html)

bobbytnm 01-21-2008 12:32 PM

Driving hard + huge pothole = finding weak components

Saturday night I had to go pick up a bed for my sons room, since my regular truck had a ton of stuff in the bed I figured I drive my 49. I fired the beast up and started across town. The old truck is so much fin to drive and that big Caddy engine makes so much torque that sometimes I find myself pushing things a bit hard....lol
I was hammering on it pretty good and moving along at a pretty good clip when I hit a huge pothole. The danged thing came out of nowhere and tried to swallow my truck. It was huge!!! I felt the front suspension bottom out and after that the truck felt wonky. Here is the result;
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...174531.520.390

Looks like I get to spend some bucks on some new spring packs for the front of my truck.
I've been saving money trying to scrounge up enough pennies to buy all the MegaSquirt components so I could start on my fuel injection....once again I have to push that to the back burner.

Thanks for letting me rant
Bobby

55 f350 01-21-2008 12:43 PM

ouch !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

cmoritz 01-21-2008 12:49 PM

OOOHHH..*****..Now I know what to look for when my rig starts feeling"WONKY!!"..LoL There"s your excuse for some "smoooth" new parts!! Good Luck there Bobby!

Fomoko1 01-21-2008 12:57 PM

Bummer, sorry to hear about another set back.

irondragon79 01-21-2008 01:28 PM

hmm, at least you had the 4 extra leaves...

bobbytnm 01-21-2008 01:45 PM

I guess I can chalk it up to lessons learned.

Somebody, who for the time being will remain nameless, neglected to re-install the bump stops on the front suspension when they put it all back together. When I bottomed the suspension, I guess I REALLY bottomed the suspension. I doubt I would have broke a spring if I had the bump stops in place.

Sometimes life isn't easy when you are a complete bonehead!
Bobby

Fomoko1 01-21-2008 01:50 PM

The bump stop would have helped but tired old springs are prone to breakage.
Of course you`ll have a much better ride with an up grade. :)

CIAF 01-21-2008 02:28 PM

Bobby, does your town havea Public Works Coordinator ? I once blew a tire/mag and had the documentation to prove the pothole was on the city street and others had blown tires too. The city paid me for the damages. This may be a good time to get the Posie's dual mono springs. I think it is good that it happened in town and not far from home on a longer cruise. Sorry either way, 5 forward and 6 back seems to hit us all.

Jon

gdgerland 01-21-2008 03:06 PM

Ouch!!! Sorry that happened. I guess bondo is out of the question. Duct tape?

Gil

bobj49f2 01-21-2008 03:25 PM

A reason to install a Jag front end, not that would have faired better but it's a good excuse to go for it. :-D

Truxx1956 01-21-2008 03:44 PM

OUCH!!!:mad: That stinks Bobby!!

ALBUQ F-1 01-21-2008 03:57 PM

Bobby, I have a like new set of front springs for the F-1, come on down! For some reason I thought you were running some kind of clip on your truck.

PS -- where is the pothole?!

Randy Jack 01-21-2008 04:21 PM

Bobby -

Would bump stops have kept the axle from putting that huge ding across the bottom of your oil pan? Am I seeing things? Are you leaking any oil? :eek:

Bummer. :-rip

BTW, that's what my rear springs looked like when I bought my truck.

havi 01-21-2008 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Bobby, I have a like new set of front springs for the F-1, come on down! For some reason I thought you were running some kind of clip on your truck.

PS -- where is the pothole?!

What Ross said. :-X22

RUSTY50F1 01-21-2008 05:18 PM

:-X16 That must have been one heck of a hole! I'd go down the street and get that NEW set. Can't beat new. Or go for the guuuustooo, Find yourself a JAG. You have the excuse now. You got to fix it. I see DISC brakes RACK&PINION, IT'S CALLING YOUR MAME. :-D:-D :-missingt:-missingt:-missingt:rolleyes::rolleyes: