Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ford Inline Six, 200, 250, 4.9L / 300 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum52/)
-   -   300 six hp and torque possibilities (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/697656-300-six-hp-and-torque-possibilities.html)

fomocoguy3 01-20-2008 09:18 AM

300 six hp and torque possibilities

Ok all you 300 gurus, I need some advice. I've been trying to decide wether or not I want to replace the 302 in my 72 shortbed with another 302 or with a 300. I've always wanted to build a hopped up 300 and I'm leaning that way, but I'd like to know what kind of power to expect. Here would be the plan:

-Fresh short block (stock) either carb motor with 240 head or fi motor with stock head
-Mild pocket porting and 3 angle valve job
-Comp Cams 268H (218 218 dur @.050 lift, .456 .456 valve lift)
-Clifford heated intake
-Headers or fi manifolds with true duals, 2" exhaust, and an x-pipe or crossover
-Demon 525 carb (unless it's too big, but I've got it on my truck now so it would be nice to use it)

So what do you all think? Am I missing anything here? What power would I make with this combo, and do any of you have hard facts like dyno runs with a similar setup that you can share? Thanks and I look foward to your input!

rswhitmore 01-20-2008 10:49 AM

Just a guess, but I would think you would be in the 230 HP range. I am sure someone out there will have some hard numbers from the dino (or maybe 'Desktop Dino') on this or a similar combination.

sedly 01-20-2008 11:11 AM

You gonna love the 300!

fomocoguy3 01-20-2008 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by rswhitmore
Just a guess, but I would think you would be in the 230 HP range. I am sure someone out there will have some hard numbers from the dino (or maybe 'Desktop Dino') on this or a similar combination.

I saw some desktop dyno figures on another website and it comes out to about 200hp and 300 ftlb of torque, varying on different compression ratios and camshaft profiles. What I'd REALLY like to see is some real world dyno tests, though I know not everyone takes their build to the dyno. I just want some hard numbers before I make a decision and start collecting parts!

5.0Torx 01-20-2008 02:11 PM

the 300 vs 302 thing has been gone over so many times....Basically if you do alot of super super heavy-ass slow-speed towing, the 300 is the better choice. If you go 70 mph alot on highways and tow / haul more reasonable loads, the 302 is the better choice. The 300 guys are all gonna come in here and tell you the same old crap, which hopefully you already know about, but thats not to say theyre bad motors.

I'd say build up your current 302. If nothing else, it saves you the work of having to fab up the different motor mounts, swapping radiators, wiring, etc...Plus, a modded 302 can do very decently down low, and give you twice the rev range of a 300.

Have you ever driven a 300? i'd recommend test driving one if you havent so that you know what youre getting into. Theyre torquey, not powerful. I have one and i'm going to sell it someday and get one with a 302 or a 351 (best of both worlds). JMO but it really depends on what youre going to do with the truck, and how much money you have.

(here we go....)

AbandonedBronco 01-20-2008 03:15 PM

I think the best way to look at it is if you are looking to just get power out of your truck or if you're looking for a project.

If you're looking for just having a powerful truck, there are more aftermarket parts for the 302 than you can shake a stick at. Since it shares the engine with the Mustang you're going to have almost every kind of performance mod that you would want, for not too much money, and are quickly going to have a beast with a little time and money.

On the other hand, if you're looking for something unique, something to brag about and show off, and something that you want to spend some effort on, build up the 300. You can get them into the 200+ HP and 300+ torque range with some mods. It's never going to have as high as numbers as a modded 302, but if you do it right, you're going to have one heck of an awesome engine that not many others have. Also, if you get a cam, do some top end work, hardened push rods, etc..., you can get them to rev into the 5000 - 6000 range. It's not as easy to mod out a 300, but if you do, you'll have everyone's attention and will have a beast with bragging rights.

fomocoguy3 01-20-2008 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by 5.0Torx
the 300 vs 302 thing has been gone over so many times....Basically if you do alot of super super heavy-ass slow-speed towing, the 300 is the better choice. If you go 70 mph alot on highways and tow / haul more reasonable loads, the 302 is the better choice. The 300 guys are all gonna come in here and tell you the same old crap, which hopefully you already know about, but thats not to say theyre bad motors.

I'd say build up your current 302. If nothing else, it saves you the work of having to fab up the different motor mounts, swapping radiators, wiring, etc...Plus, a modded 302 can do very decently down low, and give you twice the rev range of a 300.

Have you ever driven a 300? i'd recommend test driving one if you havent so that you know what youre getting into. Theyre torquey, not powerful. I have one and i'm going to sell it someday and get one with a 302 or a 351 (best of both worlds). JMO but it really depends on what youre going to do with the truck, and how much money you have.

(here we go....)

I drove a 94 F150 shortbed 4.9L 5-speed once on a test drive and I really liked it. Felt as if it had a lot of nut-butter, you know? :-D The truck is really being fixed up just for fun. The most towing it might do is a small trailer with less than 1500lbs in it. I really just want to pick a powertrain that will be FUN to drive! I know I definetly want to put a newer 5spd in it.

fomocoguy3 01-20-2008 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by AbandonedBronco
I think the best way to look at it is if you are looking to just get power out of your truck or if you're looking for a project.

If you're looking for just having a powerful truck, there are more aftermarket parts for the 302 than you can shake a stick at. Since it shares the engine with the Mustang you're going to have almost every kind of performance mod that you would want, for not too much money, and are quickly going to have a beast with a little time and money.

On the other hand, if you're looking for something unique, something to brag about and show off, and something that you want to spend some effort on, build up the 300. You can get them into the 200+ HP and 300+ torque range with some mods. It's never going to have as high as numbers as a modded 302, but if you do it right, you're going to have one heck of an awesome engine that not many others have. Also, if you get a cam, do some top end work, hardened push rods, etc..., you can get them to rev into the 5000 - 6000 range. It's not as easy to mod out a 300, but if you do, you'll have everyone's attention and will have a beast with bragging rights.

200+hp and 300+lbft would really be all I need, considering what I'm wanting to do with the truck. I really like the idea of having something different than the next guy when I go to shows and such. Plus, I just found a 1990 F150 being parted out. It's got 73k miles, and he only wants $600 for the engine and 5spd trans. The gears in my head are a spinnin'...

drof46 01-20-2008 06:32 PM

I had a 91 FI 300 with 5 speed. I grew to hate a manuel but she did almost everything I wanted. I did haul loads heavier than 1500lbs. Had one load that was probably closer to 4000lbs. Thing I liked was getting close to 18mpg. Drove it 1000mile one way from Oklahoma to Michigan a couple of times. Thing I didn't like was losing ground going up hills even when empty or with light loads. I expected to lose ground when hauling heavy loads. Low end was good for getting started with those loads. Had a 300 carburated engine in a 69 ford with automatic and it was the same. Got close to 20mpg when I didn't dog it too much. I could load it up with trash and wood or whatever and she wouldn't even flinch. 302 is also a good engine in my opinion. Do a search on Ebay for Ford 302 and Ford 300 and you will likely see more available for the 302.

later

5.0Torx 01-20-2008 08:36 PM

if you arent going to haul much more than 1500 pounds usually, and you want somethign fun to drive, get a 302. I have SLP Loudmouths on my mustang and it sounds wonderful!!!

IcemanV8 01-20-2008 09:41 PM

I agree. Since you want something fun and won't be towing anything heavy (not that the 302 can't haul heavier loads than that), it seems best to go with a built 302. Nice cam, headwork, exhaust w/ headers... would definitely be fun and tow whatever you want. Not to mention it would sound amazing. Sure, some guys like the sound of the 300. But, everyone knows nothing sounds better than a V8, and especially the 302.

fomocoguy3 01-20-2008 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by IcemanV8
I agree. Since you want something fun and won't be towing anything heavy (not that the 302 can't haul heavier loads than that), it seems best to go with a built 302. Nice cam, headwork, exhaust w/ headers... would definitely be fun and tow whatever you want. Not to mention it would sound amazing. Sure, some guys like the sound of the 300. But, everyone knows nothing sounds better than a V8, and especially the 302.

I still haven't totally let go of the idea of finding a 302 from a 87-95 Mustang and just putting my Weind intake and Demon carb on it, maybe with a E303 cam and some headers with chambered mufflers. No matter what I do I'm still going to swap in an M5R2 5 speed trans. A sweet sounding 302 with the 5 speed is sounding more and more like the way to go, especially since I can do it for less $$$.

Col Flashman 01-21-2008 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by fomocoguy3
Ok all you 300 gurus, I need some advice. I've been trying to decide wether or not I want to replace the 302 in my 72 shortbed with another 302 or with a 300. I've always wanted to build a hopped up 300 and I'm leaning that way, but I'd like to know what kind of power to expect. Here would be the plan:

-Fresh short block (stock) either carb motor with 240 head or fi motor with stock head
-Mild pocket porting and 3 angle valve job
-Comp Cams 268H (218 218 dur @.050 lift, .456 .456 valve lift)
-Clifford heated intake
-Headers or fi manifolds with true duals, 2" exhaust, and an x-pipe or crossover
-Demon 525 carb (unless it's too big, but I've got it on my truck now so it would be nice to use it)

So what do you all think? Am I missing anything here? What power would I make with this combo, and do any of you have hard facts like dyno runs with a similar setup that you can share? Thanks and I look foward to your input!

I'm unable to answer your specific question & I do not know Why these v-8 Zombies keep coming here & stating garbage about I-6's. :-X15
As this is the I-6 Forum which Promotes the exchange of doing all sorts of interesting Perfomance builds to the I-6. So they should go some where else & Spout their Stuck in the v-8 Rut Bilge to those of a like mind as theirs! :-missingt
Father used to build 300 I-6's by hand in his Garage for his 1/4 mile mates & would achieve 500-600hp out of them. :-headbang :-X22 :-bigparty

This is my build on my Inliner, I believe this should put this latest diatribe from the v-8 Zombies to rest. The majority of the parts came right off the parts house shelf.

Built '65 series 300c.i. (312c.i. now) I-6 w/ 300 H.P. @ 4600 rpm & 400 F.T.P. @ 3200 rpm w/ a 9.5-1 C.R.

Ross Pistons 4.060
Hastings Power Flex Rings .060
Federal Mogul Mains .020 Under
Clevite Performance Bearings Std.
Federal Mogul Cam Bearings Std.
Melling Torque Cam
Melling H.V. Oli Pump
Eagle H-beam Rods 6.300 2.100 Rod Journal
Crane Gold Race Roller rockers
ARP Main Stud Kit, Rocker Studs,
Fisher International Ballancer
Bore 4.060
Power Hone 4.060
Mild P&P Intake & Exhaust
Performance valve job
Performance Balance job on Steele Crank w/ in 7 grams
Grind Rod Journals to 2.100
Plumb Intake for Heat via Water Pump
Deck Block to Square
Align hone to Factory specs
Deck block for Zero Deck
Offenhauser C Intake
Holley 1850 600 CFM
S.S. Borla 2 into 2 Header
8' of 3" tubes attached to Flowmaster 40's
4 Core Desert Radiator mated w/ the Original Radiator Housing
2 1,200 CPU Electric Fans, on @ 180*, off @ 170* mounted diaginally
MSD 6A Eclectronics Package & Coil
Dura spark II Electronic Ignition

phatpharm85 01-21-2008 08:16 AM

best way to describe a 300, it may run a 20 sec 1/4(stock mind you) but put 10,000 pounds behind and it will still turn 20 sec 1/4 times haha. There not fast but, niether is a rig. Look at this way, it wasnt that horribly long ago that rigs were only running 200-250 hp diesels, and they would still pull 80,000 pounds, alot more torque, and alot more displacement yes, but I dont see why a 300 with a 4speed and a splitter unit(making it a 7 speed) wont tow 10,000 pounds or more with out much of a problem. Any other engine you would be worried about reliabilty and overloading it, I dont think there' such a thing with the 300, with the right gears, and enough time, it will tow whatever you want, as long as you want, thats the beauty of them.

AbandonedBronco 01-21-2008 09:48 AM

Col Flashman, do you have any pictures of that engine? I would love to see it! Also, just how much $$$ goes into an engine like that?