Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   Stainless Steel Lug Nuts? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/697205-stainless-steel-lug-nuts.html)

73strokin 01-19-2008 09:16 AM

Stainless Steel Lug Nuts?

Anybody make stainless steel nuts for the 9/16 lug thread? Like the longer aftermarket type nuts, not like a standard factory nut. I have chrome nuts that came with my new rims and after two months they're already rusting! That's rediculous. If nobody sells them I'll just turn them myself out of stainless hex stock.

WALJON 01-19-2008 09:36 AM

Yeh I know what you are talking about when I bought my truck it had the aftermarket lugs on they too were rusty and were a real treat to get off seized I use regular lugs with caps on them stops the rust and are now easier to take off

Stainless would be nice I wouldn,t mind a set myself!

97 HD 01-19-2008 09:54 AM

someone suggested I check a truck stop. although I never got arround too it.

F0rdF0rever 01-19-2008 09:59 AM

I just had to replace my brand new rusting chrome lugs that came with my new wheels too. Cant believe they would give us such garbage. I got them from www.ezaccessory.com

tjbeggs 01-19-2008 10:14 AM

Well I am in the hunt as well. My chromed lug nuts are beginning to rust a bit as well. One thing to keep them useable longer is to not use an impact wrench which is a pain but helps.

I look thru all the long acorn nuts on that site and they don't have stainless ones that will fit.

73strokin 01-19-2008 10:28 AM

It sounds like my luck is running thin. I thought I found some once but they were for smaller cars. If I can't come up with something I'll probably just turn some on the lathe. I can buy stainless hex stock, about $100, and a good 9/16 tap, about $50, and then repeat the machining process 32 times! So not exactly cheap, but I'd get what I want and it would last. On the contrary, McGuards nuts, which susposedly are the best, are like $30-$40 per wheel, and they're still chrome plated. So $150 might not be a horrible price to make some nice nuts. The only thing I would maybe have to figure out is a polishing process for the stainless, depending on how much I want it to shine. What do you all think?

WALJON 01-19-2008 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by 73strokin
Anybody make stainless steel nuts for the 9/16 lug thread? Like the longer aftermarket type nuts, not like a standard factory nut. I have chrome nuts that came with my new rims and after two months they're already rusting! That's rediculous. If nobody sells them I'll just turn them myself out of stainless hex stock.

Well then if you are in the mood for making some stainless lugs I bet some people here would have no problem buying a set off ya

I know I would :-innocent

73strokin 01-19-2008 10:34 AM

Well if you guys would like to buy some I'm not sure what kind of price I'd put on them yet but first I'd have to see how they would turn out for me.

97 HD 01-19-2008 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by 73strokin
It sounds like my luck is running thin. I thought I found some once but they were for smaller cars. If I can't come up with something I'll probably just turn some on the lathe. I can buy stainless hex stock, about $100, and a good 9/16 tap, about $50, and then repeat the machining process 32 times! So not exactly cheap, but I'd get what I want and it would last. On the contrary, McGuards nuts, which susposedly are the best, are like $30-$40 per wheel, and they're still chrome plated. So $150 might not be a horrible price to make some nice nuts. The only thing I would maybe have to figure out is a polishing process for the stainless, depending on how much I want it to shine. What do you all think?

Do you think the stainless would be fine as it is or would it need to be hardened (heat treated) a little? I also have acess to equipment to make my own, I just dunno if the stainless is hard enough in its normal state. I have acess to a kiln so I could harden them if need be.

73strokin 01-19-2008 07:34 PM

I would think that the stainless would be fine. I think it was either 303 or 304 that the hex stock was sold in. I'm sure standard lug nuts are heat treated some, but stainless itself is harder and stronger than standard steel just because of its properties and manufacturing. I'm not an expert on metallurgy but from basic knowledge that's what I'd conclude. I would think before you have problems stripping threads or wearing down nuts you would probably start snapping studs off first.

tjbeggs 01-19-2008 07:55 PM

how about these
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=GOR%2D76197XL&N=7 00+400092+4294919065+115&autoview=sku

Gorilla claims a lifetime warrantee. They cost about 2 1/2 times more than the chrome one I currently have but atleast they might last.

WALJON 01-19-2008 08:06 PM

Is that $10.39 each?

F0rdF0rever 01-19-2008 08:08 PM

Says set of 4. Not too bad.

tjbeggs 01-19-2008 08:10 PM

no for 4. I am gonna contact gorilla about their warrantee. I think I also found another place that has the nuts cheaper.
http://www.radtoyscentral.com/store/...t=1005&page=16

I think this is for a box of 16. If so and they are lifetime warrantee I think this is the way I will go.

WALJON 01-19-2008 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by F0rdF0rever
Says set of 4. Not too bad.

Yeh thets not bad at all